Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

the Signal Green RS at Gooding

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 PM
YnotGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Don't always get it right but that's why I sell out-of-the-money options to give room for error. 2015 will be more volatile than 2014 that's for sure.
My question is how do you sleep at night? I like short term calls and I agree on volatility this year
Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by YnotGT3
My question is how do you sleep at night? Whoo
He is not selling calls. He is selling puts. Selling otm puts not a bad strategy as vol can easily collapse but it doesn't mean revert with the same speed that it can explode to the upside. He is getting long vol, getting short vol of vol.

At least that is what I would guess.

Otherwise the classic strategy of just selling calls (selling vol and vol of vol) is profitable until it's not as you point out.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 PM
COBRA MAN OF UT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Wrong Auction for this car and expecting that price! Scottsdale? What couldn't get into Berret Jackson? The place to take that car to would be Amelia Island. Amelia Island is THE place to sell Porsche's at Auction and many Industry will say the same. Wayne Carini for one would take it there instead of Scottsdale or even Pebble Beach. And it would be a lot cheaper for him to transport from his shop. Assuming that is where it is.
Wayne carini. LOL don't belive everything you watch on tvp
Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

My question is how do you sleep at night? I like short term calls and I agree on volatility this year
The way I look at it is the money that I'm trading is at-risk capital. I do employ stops when I sell nakes puts and calls. I also used straddles and strangles.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Modena 1
He is not selling calls. He is selling puts. Selling otm puts not a bad strategy as vol can easily collapse but it doesn't mean revert with the same speed that it can explode to the upside. He is getting long vol, getting short vol of vol.

Otherwise the classic strategy of just selling calls (selling vol and vol of vol) is profitable until it's not as you point out.
Yeah, I'll also sell some calls as a hedge or if I get pushed going long into VXX then I sell covered calls as the shares have decay (I don't want to hold them them beyond a short term basis). Options were created to generally benefit the option writers, not the buyers of those options. As my friend says I'm out in traffic trying to collect change with the risk of getting run over. But it's about accumulating enough cushion from the wins to be able to absorb some losses along the way.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

thus i own zero equity or fixed income trades, let alone commodities and other derivatives

The way I look at it is the money that I'm trading is at-risk capital. I do employ stops when I sell nakes puts and calls. I also used straddles and strangles.
man, ballsy. but it's easier just play cards at vegas
Old 01-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was referring to selling the car in Scottsdale in reference to citing Barrett Jackson( it's difficult to express sarcasm in the forums ) I know Barrett Jackson isn't the Auction for this car just as much as any Mecum Auction as well.

I agree with Eduardo in all regards.

I don't believe anything I see on TV except "ancient astronaut theorist"!

Wayne has had good luck with auctioning Porsches and Amelia Island. And I will agree you might find two, or more, bidders in Carmel, or Scottsdale that would end up with a greater price than Amelia Island's auctions.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 01-11-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by COBRA MAN OF UT
Wayne carini. LOL don't belive everything you watch on tvp
honestly - I love the diversity of this thread. BTW, am I the only one that can't stand Carini???
Old 01-10-2015, 04:44 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was going to ask what was the original point of this thread.

But the variety of posts have been very interesting so I will just keep reading instead
Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

I kind of like him. Not that I know him personally but from the show he comes off as a down to earth and honest guy.

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
honestly - I love the diversity of this thread. BTW, am I the only one that can't stand Carini???
Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 PM
YnotGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're 100% correct I was thinking naked calls as reading about naked puts. Someone made a ton over the past 5 years !!

Originally Posted by Modena 1

Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

You're 100% correct I was thinking naked calls as reading about naked puts. Someone made a ton over the past 5 years !!
It's definitely been nice side income and I've been able to easily outperform the S&P returns in the past 5 years. That being said, I have taken big daily losses when I was stopped out a few times taking 5 figure losses in a day (Greek crisis, Japanese quake, etc). The strategy is to squirrel away as much as possible premium over the months so that it more than covers the losses. The more I trade the more I learn and the more I realize how much more there is to learn.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely been nice side income and I've been able to easily outperform the S&P returns in the past 5 years. That being said, I have taken big daily losses when I was stopped out a few times taking 5 figure losses in a day (Greek crisis, Japanese quake, etc). The strategy is to squirrel away as much as possible premium over the months so that it more than covers the losses. The more I trade the more I learn and the more I realize how much more there is to learn.
That's what I find so funny about markets and financial instruments, which are created for the people creating them(!), can be influenced by A Natural Disaster. I can understand the Greek financial "Crisis". Oh No - its a Crisis and it's financial... then investor's freak out, a week later the markets have fully rebounded. Investor's sure can act like chicken's with their head's chopped off!

I have a question, what happened in August 2013 - that's the month Hagerty Insurance shows the collector car market really start going through the roof, well April - August, going through the roof, literally(?)! But the Ferrari market was rising slowly for the previous five years or so; 2013 the scene just exploded.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 01-12-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

1963 356 Carrera 2 Coupe just sold for $580k.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

So when is the auction for the Frog?

Quick Reply: the Signal Green RS at Gooding