Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stock cylinder wall? Nikasil finish?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Inrev, I just went through a major overhaul of another engine with Nikasil coating on the cylinder bore (no liner). A (bad) concept that was tried by some engineer years ago...The cross hatched portion of my cylinders looked good, however, I had pitting of the coating as well. Your second picture looks a lot like my cylinder.

So, I had some good cross hatch section and some bad pitting. Outcome for me was, high oil consumption, and loss of compression and low power when things got nice and hot. I had to purchase new cylinders as this was a high performance no liner concept. Not sure if this helps, but if I am seeing pitting in your liner then that is bad. Typically caused by water / condensation and or engine not run often, as I was told.

(not GT3 engine...but similar). GL
Thanks, I believe there is a loss of power indeed but it's hard to tell given this is the highest performance car I have ever owned. The oil consumption is definitely there. If I understand correctly however is that the cross hatched section is looking normal? My dealer was thinking the cylinders had been bored by the previous owner to increase HP, something you'd do to a civic but never to a GT3... I'm skeptical of this however.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Evolved Rs
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I had to purchase new cylinders as this was a high performance no liner concept. Not sure if this helps, but if I am seeing pitting in your liner then that is bad.
You can replate Nikasil cylinders.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

you can replate them, but IMO I'd just buy the new liners(liners are separate from the cylinder casing/waterjacket on water-Mezger) from Porsche and have a bit more peace of mind.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

OP, your cross hatch in the photo looks ok to me. And your dealer can measure the bore versus speculate. Is the engine apart? If you have liner damage your compression will be low as well. Anyhow, it is hard to tell looking at 3 pix. GL.

Originally Posted by Evolved Rs
You can replate Nikasil cylinders.
Yes. And in my case I could have but chose to go bigger bore and changed other parts...

Quick Reply: Stock cylinder wall? Nikasil finish?