Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rear Brake Caliper Piston P/N

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brake Caliper Piston P/N

Almost done rebuilding calipers with Zeckhausen rebuild kits (seals and dust boots).

Turns out the alum piston for the rear calipers are in bad shape. The phenolic puck that sits against the pads has not withstood the test of many heat cycles very well (contrary to the ceramic pucks on the front calipers).

I need to replace 4 of these 34 mm diameter / 32 mm high pistons. There are several aftermarket options that fit, but rather go with OEM parts.

Brembo nor PET seem to sell these separately. P/N stamped on the inside is Y20.4896.84 for which google comes up with exactly.... zero results.

Any help as to where I can find OEM replacement pistons for the 997.1 PCCB rears would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Interesting! Your rears don't have the yellow pucks! Mine did/does. Had them rebuilt with same parts. Yellow seems to be better. BTW, if you want baller you can replace with Brembo motorsport titanium parts. Not cheap.

These are easy to find. You need to source these from motorsport. Suncoast can get them or you can source from any shop that has a motorsport account. They are 34mm. Kits are about 200-250 per caliper, at least they were about 9mo ago when I rebuilt all 4 of my calipers. The kit comes with the inner seals, pistons, pucks. Unfortunately I am not sure the pistons are available stand alone from porsche. Maybe if you have a Brembo dealer local they can get from Race Technologies (the brembo us distributor). Outer seals are not included in the kit.

I highly suggest the puck holder clips too.

Rebuild kit with inner seals, piston, pucks
997.352.959.91 - Need Qty 2 kits - this is the 34mm kit

Puck holders from motorsport:
997.352.086.91 ~ $4.98 each - Need 20 for all calipers

And just FYI, the part number for the front PCCB kit with 28/30/32 pistons is:
Rebuild kit with inner seals, piston, pucks:
997.351.959.91 - Need Qty 2
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Suncoast asked for some big bucks ~300 for each rear motorsports kits.

Another option is the racingbrake larger/longer stainless pistons that remove the need for the pucks - but I'm not sold on the tech. Ceramic pucks seem like a better heat conductivity barrier to me....
Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Thanks Jacy. I am going to give the racingbrake SS pots a shot.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

RB prices aren't much different. Maybe design is better, but personally like to stick with OEM on brakes. FWIW I think I paid $195 per caliper for the PMNA kits. Might be worth calling around.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Rhonda at FVD carries the rebuild kits. They are on the site and can be found if you do a search for the part number. http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...959+91&x=0&y=0

Unfortunately the price has gone up. I checked 3 different places and all were similar.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Rhonda at FVD carries the rebuild kits. They are on the site and can be found if you do a search for the part number. http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...959+91&x=0&y=0

Unfortunately the price has gone up. I checked 3 different places and all were similar.
Thanks! Those appear to be the inferior pistons with the phenolic pucks, not the ceramic ones. I say that because of the rounded edges on the yellow top part.

Already having bought the rebuild kit with seals and dust boots from Zeckhausen, the option to go with the SS pistons from racingbreak seems to make more sense..

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

There are definitely two versions, black ones and yellow ones (yellow being more durable).

Something I didn't mention earlier, if anyones cares to know, is that my brakes were dragging and causing premature cracking/wear on my PFC slotted rotors. Dr. Z sold me a rebuild Kit, and I had Elite Racing (Austin) rebuild everything. Elite nailed it, and my problems have gone away.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If your looking for an upgrade try our complete boots, seals, and pistons rebuild kit or our one piece SS vented pistons
Racingbrake offers rebuild kits for most Porsche models and other makes.
Click on the link below to view our Porsche coverage.

Porsche Rebuild Kits

Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There are definitely two versions, black ones and yellow ones (yellow being more durable).
Looking at the pic on the fvd website (http://www.fvd.de/assets/adb/25/25199c0672b6587b.jpg), the yellow caps appear to be cured onto / pressed in the pistons and I suspect that over time with a lot of heat the phenolic resin turns black.

Then there supposedly is the version with the yellow (loose) ceramic pucks (of the indestructable kind).

So both versions start out life as yellow. The pressed on phenolic ones turn black over time and the ceramics don't.

Wonder if my understanding is correct.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Caliper Piston P/N