usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Assume new rs will be aluninum tub like cup

Tap wall or get tapped and car totaled...unless u can re tub a street car

No thanks

All cars crash, it's a matter of when
MAYBE with open wheel racing, not in DE. Yes, anything can happen anytime (just like it can driving on the street) but if you aren't an aggressive idiot then your chances of crashing are very low.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
MAYBE with open wheel racing, not in DE. Yes, anything can happen anytime (just like it can driving on the street) but if you aren't an aggressive idiot then your chances of crashing are very low.
If the car is a cup street version...than its aluminum...if not its just a street car will bolt on crap

But then again a new cayman has panels glued together in some places....they total out quick too

Bump a 991 cup up they just re tub it, do your own search. 997.2 cups are holding a strong value due to the risk / cost to operate. 991

Wonder how the track insurance companies will handle

DE is as safe as any track event, cars still leave on wreckers throughout the weekend
Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
My two biggest moments at the track were spinning in someone else's oil and someone else's coolant. It's a track - stuff happens.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
My two biggest moments at the track were spinning in someone else's oil and someone else's coolant. It's a track - stuff happens.
I've seen the wall twice this year Both times mechanical failure..and the part that failed wasn't timed out

When the part failed I was a long for the ride

Guess bad luck...
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Maybe Randy is posting on the new RS thread to sell us on relic racing again so we spend more money than we could ever spend on RS DE insurance.

Its just a street car with crap bolted on for track days.

Hitting the wall a couple of times a year due to mechanical failure sounds fun, I had one and it was enough for a life time.

Can happen with any car, but less likely with newer cars than relics.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

**** happens, and yes, the new 991 (any version) will total out much quicker due to aluminum chassis, however, thanks to the Ford F150, prices for aluminum will be much lower over the next 10 years.

I want another 7RS, but not sure I can live with another incident, may just keep it as a street car (sadly).

One of those Deman Motorsports Caymans look like a pretty interesting alternative for a "DE" car. Plenty fast, and I could car less if I destroy a Cayman-S, plenty of donor cars to replace it with.

In the meantime, I'm having fun spending pennies on the dollar to build out my completely disposable '00 miata track car. It's comical how cheap things are. My local shop owner and I are getting about 10-11 local guys to build the same DE cars on Nittos to run our own informal TT for bragging rights. Keeps me busy while I search for a new P-car.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mvez
**** happens, and yes, the new 991 (any version) will total out much quicker due to aluminum chassis, however, thanks to the Ford F150, prices for aluminum will be much lower over the next 10 years. I want another 7RS, but not sure I can live with another incident, may just keep it as a street car (sadly). One of those Deman Motorsports Caymans look like a pretty interesting alternative for a "DE" car. Plenty fast, and I could car less if I destroy a Cayman-S, plenty of donor cars to replace it with. In the meantime, I'm having fun spending pennies on the dollar to build out my completely disposable '00 miata track car. It's comical how cheap things are. My local shop owner and I are getting about 10-11 local guys to build the same DE cars on Nittos to run our own informal TT for bragging rights. Keeps me busy while I search for a new P-car.
Be careful on caymans

They total out quick too...I saw three inter series types bump the wall..both over $70 k to fix and Owner's totaled them out

Mista racing is very very affordable..u will have a blast

Another car hopefully soon to take off is Subaru BRZ..cheap and tons of fun on track
Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe Randy is posting on the new RS thread to sell us on relic racing again so we spend more money than we could ever spend on RS DE insurance. Its just a street car with crap bolted on for track days. Hitting the wall a couple of times a year due to mechanical failure sounds fun, I had one and it was enough for a life time. Can happen with any car, but less likely with newer cars than relics.
One light tap of the wall in acup..crazy expensive..axle snapped in t1 Sebring...front bumper was $7k..just the plastic bumper

One pretty hard hit in wall in antique..almost fixed but 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of cup fix
Old 11-10-2014, 03:38 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Be careful on caymans

They total out quick too...I saw three inter series types bump the wall..both over $70 k to fix and Owner's totaled them out

Mista racing is very very affordable..u will have a blast

Another car hopefully soon to take off is Subaru BRZ..cheap and tons of fun on track
That's why I bought mine in the $30s and plan to have the "all-in" cost in the $60s. Let's say that the car does get totaled, I'm sure I'll be able to get half of that back in parting out the unharmed items. Here in So Cal, my favorite tracks have almost no walls. The worry is more about going off and getting dust powder inside of every inch of the car.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Lets all buy new $65K Camaro's..
Old 11-10-2014, 03:44 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Lets all buy new $65K Camaro's..
Naw, GM recall bad. Ferd
Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Recalls don't make it go any slower, I already see some new ones on the lots for $8K discounts!
I'd get a Corvette but they made them too small to fit in plus I'd have to cage it, don't trust the Tupperware structure.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:24 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Spec Box. Cheap to buy, cheap to race, cheap to walk away. I hit the wall at VIR. $10K later car is back. Buddy hit the wall at VIR. Car is totaled. He replaced it for $8k and some work. Once you get a couple of buddies driving the same as you, you might as well be driving Cup Cars We are having so much fun you didn't notice how slow your going. I have the best time driving my SPB when there is another one right on my ***!!

But because it's a Porsche it steers properly and stops properly. And it's mid engine so it's neutral like a Cayman. 5 gears and 185hp at the wheels, it will teach you how to drive a car fast.

Tough year for cars hitting things. 50% of the people I know had incidents this year. I hope next year is better. Sorry to hear of the mechanical related incident's Randy, I know how you feel.

Quick Reply: 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 RS Leaked Again