Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coolant loss + coolant smell front radiator vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:19 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 122 Posts

Hmm I did have coolant lines done ~300 miles ago

I wonder if this is all just air in the system that is burping?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Hmmm... since you don't see any coolant anywhere... There is a good chance that is it. Fill it up. Distilled water. Watch it.

Do you know if your shop used a vacuum tool to get the coolant back in there?

Read that thread that was posted a few weeks ago about the guy who busted a pipe in Canada on a long drive. Describes keeping the bleeder valve open, doing drive cycles, to get the air out, and topping up. I forget exact procedure.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

haven't read through whole thread, but rad issues are common, replaced all mine with CSF...
to get air out of system without vacuum tool(not needed at all)...engine fully up to temp., radiators 'flowing', bleeder valve 'up', rear of car elevated(jack, up a hill, etc.) and rev the engine to say 4k RPM for short-periods...will self-bleed quickly, bleeder valve/tank need to be the high point of the cooling system for air to escape, don't want any air pockets, RPM helps move coolant/air-pockets out
Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 AM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s
Originally Posted by audipwr1
So I basically go borrow a pressure tester, pressure test system with front end off and find what is leaking?

This is highly annoying
yeah,but it works. Autozone will loan you one...Just don't buy anything there except stuff in the drink cooler.I used to start em cold,hold a paper towel over the exhaust.Look for traces on the towel.Look for white smoke,coolant smell.Make sure it's coolant,not condensation.

Last edited by PANHEAD201; 10-24-2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Hmmm... since you don't see any coolant anywhere... There is a good chance that is it. Fill it up. Distilled water. Watch it.

Do you know if your shop used a vacuum tool to get the coolant back in there?

Read that thread that was posted a few weeks ago about the guy who busted a pipe in Canada on a long drive. Describes keeping the bleeder valve open, doing drive cycles, to get the air out, and topping up. I forget exact procedure.
I think I posted that about procedure. Very easy if wo that nifty tool dealerships have. Saying it again- to repressurize system and rid of air bubbles in pressurized coolant system- add appropriate amount of coolant/distilled water(I just add to minimun level)and with bleeder valve open(that lever on coolant expansion tank lifted up to open venting) drive for 30 mins making sure NO stop/go traffic or else coolant temps go off the charts- let it sit for say 20-30 minutes check coolant expansion level and add distill water to minimum level then do the same cycle 2-3 times more with bleeding valve up. Add distill water as you go. Main thing is no stop/go traffic during the cycles. Once done- no air bubbles in system and fully pressurized put bleeder lever down and no need to go to dealer. My indie and I took me thru that cycle 1st time- no issues after you cycle it. Faster with that vacuum thingie but if you got no access- this works. Mike
Old 10-24-2014, 01:55 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

That video of the gurgling pump make sense relative to this issue u think ?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

I think so, leaky radiator may be sucking in air during when cooling/cold('sealed' system that has displaced coolant)....air could be stuck in numerous places in the cooling system
Old 10-24-2014, 02:41 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Originally Posted by nzskater
I've got sweet smell after running from the front left. Coolant loss over 6 months, needed ~1 liter top up. Had Porsche pressure test the system, told me no leak. Yeah right...
Off the subject,sorry.Is that a Pantera?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:01 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

She's hot no coolant anywhere - end caps look old but aren't cracked and are dry despite coolant temp at 200 right now

Exhaust smells fine no smoke no sweet smell

Where else can it be going?
200?!! Have you turned heat on?Is your floor wet pass. side up under dash?
Sounds like stuck thermostat in the video.Is the car running hot?Run it with cap off,see if it's flowing when it reaches temp.Air lock shouldn't cause coolant loss.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:14 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PANHEAD201
Have you turned heat on?Is your floor wet pass. side up under dash?
Sounds like stuck thermostat in the video.Is the car running hot?Run it with cap off,see if it's flowing when it reaches temp.Air lock shouldn't cause coolant loss.
Total history:

Bought car with 16.4k miles - drove it 200 miles home, no issues that I could see, but didn't check coolant level before and after etc
Sharkwerks did coolant pipes and pin'ing on it at ~17.25k miles
Drove a few hundred miles, did one autocross last weekend, noticed that at hot coolant was at min level.
Drove 150 miles yesterday, noticed it was now below min. Now at 17.8k miles.

Only ever used the heat once, that was just right when I bought it to make sure it worked, haven't honestly tried since.

Last night pulled front bumper and rad shrouds, ran car up to 200 degrees rev'ed engine a handful of times to run pump harder, then looked closely at radiators, and lines, no leaks. Rev'ed and smelt exhaust, no water no smell of coolant no smoke.

Gurgling on shutdown and reducing coolant level only signs of any issue, no water on floor of garage

Car didn't run hot at AX, but I haven't really run the car all that hard period (no track days yet). Never seen the water temp move higher than between the 200 and 225
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Total history:

Bought car with 16.4k miles - drove it 200 miles home, no issues that I could see, but didn't check coolant level before and after etc
Sharkwerks did coolant pipes and pin'ing on it at ~17.25k miles
Drove a few hundred miles, did one autocross last weekend, noticed that at hot coolant was at min level.
Drove 150 miles yesterday, noticed it was now below min. Now at 17.8k miles.

Only ever used the heat once, that was just right when I bought it to make sure it worked, haven't honestly tried since.

Last night pulled front bumper and rad shrouds, ran car up to 200 degrees rev'ed engine a handful of times to run pump harder, then looked closely at radiators, and lines, no leaks. Rev'ed and smelt exhaust, no water no smell of coolant no smoke.

Gurgling on shutdown and reducing coolant level only signs of any issue, no water on floor of garage

Car didn't run hot at AX, but I haven't really run the car all that hard period (no track days yet). Never seen the water temp move higher than between the 200 and 225
If it was mine I'd turn the heat on.Leaky heater core maybe?Would account for smell and coolant loss.If ya got carpet you wont see it but the carpet gets soggy.a nasty mess.As long as that's as hot as it gets no major damage.Warped heads suck.You can get an airlock in the heater core.When they drain em the heater lines will drain but not necessarily fill when they refill coolant.Simple is cheaper than complicated
Old 10-24-2014, 05:51 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PANHEAD201
Off the subject,sorry.Is that a Pantera?
Yes it is! A friends, not mine (sadly). Such a great car.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yes it is! A friends, not mine (sadly). Such a great car.
COOL!!!! I had a Pantera and my brother had a Mangusta back in the day.Goodyear made tires to suit it..351 was serious.My favorite car I ever owned was a Ferrari 512 BBTI Boxer.I think DeTomaso had something to do with it.I just sold my gt3 to buy a Ford gt to do a round the country tour while we still got one
Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mine was weeping from the front radiator in between one of the fins.

Also get the UV tracer kit for coolant from Amazon will save you some headaches tracking down the leak...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:07 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Good idea.I've only used it on AC and it works great.Sorry Audipwr,I thought the video was yours

Quick Reply: Coolant loss + coolant smell front radiator vent