Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default jalopnik - GT3 review

http://jalopnik.com/i-spent-a-day-dr...awe-1643930570

Agree/Disagree?

I recently had the opportunity to spend a day behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 GT3. It was an excellent experience, and I highly recommend picking one up, assuming that you are completely out of your mind.

I'll explain what I mean by that in a second. But first, I'm going to provide a little background on the GT3 for those of you who have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. Imagine, if you will, a standard Porsche 911: one of the greatest driver's cars of all time. And then they add more power, and better suspension, and improved aerodynamics, and unique styling touches. And then they sell it to the kind of person who alerts IKEA to mistakes in its furniture assembly directions.

Yes, GT3 owners can be pedantic – and the reader who let me borrow his car is no exception. Even though I actually worked for Porsche, he knows far more about the company than I ever will: he can tell you LeMans victory years and engine codes; racing drivers and model year changes. Whereas all I really remember is a) how many manual Cayennes they sold, and b) where the office copy machine is located. So I was pretty surprised when he handed over the keys to his GT3 and told me to have fun. And have fun I did, as you can see in the attached video.

What you can't quite see in the video is a full, comprehensive review of the car. So I'm going to do that here, in print, to help answer that age-old question that's really weighing on everyone's mind: should I spend $85,000 on a high-performance Porsche because an Internet blogger told me to?

We'll start today's review with a discussion of the vehicle's ride: namely, it's awful. And I don't mean awful like: "Oh, the roads suck, and I have sport suspension, woe is me!" No, no. I mean awful like you're driving along and you start to wonder: "Hmm… when did they pave this road with bathroom fixtures?"

In fact, when you're driving a GT3, virtually every road feels like it's paved with jagged metal pieces and huge, uneven boulders, placed directly in the street in order to make you hate your entire existence, and your car's existence, and the very existence of Ferdinand Porsche, and the nation of Germany, and all of its little fair-haired soccer-playing children. You can feel every bump, every crease, every little dip in the pavement. Before long, you realize that you've made a horrible, terrible, awful mistake, and you want to go back home and climb inside your soft, comfortable bed, away from all the bumps and bangs and smacks and thuds. And then you finish backing out of your driveway.

Speaking of backing out of your driveway, the GT3's suspension also poses another major problem: ground clearance. Although the owner of this car gave me the exact ground clearance figure, presumably measured in millimeters to the nearest thousandth, I've forgotten it. So I'll give you a rough estimate: the GT3's ground clearance is approximately equivalent to one regulation toothpick.

Now, admittedly, this isn't a problem when you're on the race track, or when you're driving on the sort of flat, perfect roads they have over in Germany. But it becomes an issue when you want to do something wild and crazy, such as go to the grocery store. Here's what happens: you're in the parking lot of your local grocery store, or mall, or bank, or whatever, and you come to a speed bump. And as you slow down to a crawl, and line up the car to hit the exact perfect angle without scraping the fragile front bumper, you realize something: you've spent $85,000 on transportation that can't actually transport you.

But at least the styling is pretty cool, right? Well, this matter is up for debate. Some people think the GT3 is a handsome, attractive, beautiful car that combines the best of modern sports car design with a series of excellent styling touches inspired by a racecar. Personally, I think it looks like a 911 with a foosball table strapped to the back. But no matter what your view, you have to admit that the GT3 won't exactly get you noticed: this is no Lamborghini, or Ferrari, or Aston-Martin, and unless you encounter a fellow car enthusiast on the road, people probably just think you're driving around in "a Porsh."

The interior, though. Surely the interior is filled with luxuries, like ventilated seats, or modern infotainment, or cutting-edge gadgets, or a laser jet printer, or a saltwater fish tank, or a conference room. Well, that's not quite the case either: the 997 model I drove didn't have any of that stuff. In fact, it didn't even have a navigation system. Instead, there was a small electronic display that looks like the kind of thing you would've typed "80085" on when you were an excitable elementary schooler with a new calculator.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, brings us back to why you have to be completely out of your mind to buy a 911 GT3: because you compromise on virtually every aspect of the driving experience, and you spend an enormous amount of money to do so. For reference, a 997 GT3 like the one I drove can easily cost upwards of $80,000, while an all-new model is $131,000 before options. So why would anyone bother with this car? Why would anyone put up with the harsh ride? The bare-bones interior? The low ground clearance? The lack of equipment?

Simple: because the Porsche 911 GT3 one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. Get out on an open road, away from all the crap that you shouldn't do in a GT3 anyway, and the car starts to make perfect sense. I could use all the auto journalist buzzwords — the handling is sublime, the steering feel is "perfectly weighted", etc. – but I won't bother. Instead, I'll just say this: Handling is awesome. Acceleration is awesome. Steering is awesome. Gear lever is awesome. And the entire package, put together is really, really awesome. It is, in sum, one of the best cars I've ever driven; a far more enjoyable tool for tackling the back roads than my Ferrari.

So would I buy one? Absolutely not. I could never get this thing up my driveway – and even if I could, the roads in my area would eat it alive. No, the GT3 isn't for me. And it's not for people who want to get noticed, or people who want to own a luxury sports car, or people who want a fun car to cruise around town. Instead, it's the perfect car for that wealthy suburban dad who wants a fun track toy that he can run hard once a month – and then drive home, taking the long way, without stopping at the store to pick up milk. Because he could never make it into the parking lot anyway.

@DougDeMuro is the author of Plays With Cars. He owned an E63 AMG wagon and once tried to evade police at the Tail of the Dragon using a pontoon boat. (It didn't work.) He worked as a manager for Porsche Cars North America before quitting to become a writer, largely because it meant he no longer had to wear pants. Also, he wrote this entire bio himself in the third person.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Agree with the story telling to some degree. But then I had one and want another so go figure.... Lol!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Sorry, I lost interest in anything he had to say once I saw him driving in flip flops.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, a 996 or 997 GT3 is for sure an enthusiast's sports car but in stock form, far from what I would consider "hardcore". The backdated '87 Carrera that preceded my GT3 was just semi-hardcore...no A/C, no power steering. no radio, deleted heater blower, Bilstein sports, M&K dual outlet sport muffler, cat bypass and Recaro SE's. If he thought the 997 GT3 he drove was too hardcore to be used as anything but a track toy, well.....different strokes and all that.

Not to offend anyone, but the first thing that crossed my mind when reading Doug's rather humorous article was how it reminded me of the occasional posts I see on here asking "Should I buy a GT3 or a Turbo?

Clearly, Doug might be much happier in a Turbo. A different car for a different buyer/driver demographic.

Regarding the harsh ride, he did have a point. The Michelin PS2's that were on my GT3 when I got it provided a rock-hard ride (and were terrible in the wet). After I replaced them with a new set of Bridgestone Pole Positions the difference in ride quality was stunning. Even in sport mode the ride is decent and for the street-only driving I do, the PP's work just fine.

I wish Doug could have driven my ex-'87. He probably would have hated it.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Meh. There is a certain type of driver for the GT3. That guy ain't it.

He should go drive the 991 GT3. It will suit his persona better.

I liked the ping-pong test though!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 AM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think his video wasn't very informative or represents well the positive or negatives of the 997.1 GT3 he drove. When he tested "handling" he just accelerated and drove fast in a straight line.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:10 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

I think Demuro is a bit of a D-bag. I want to like his articles but he strikes me as more a poseur than a gear head. Stick to 360's dude.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:23 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Another asshat ...

Old 10-10-2014, 04:02 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Let's just say that if I was an auto journalist, I'd be embarrassed to call this guy a 'colleague'.

This guy is a joke.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd have a fit if that was my car and he had his toys and food anywhere near it!

Recognised his quotes from on this forum including the right drill bit to use with was for a DIY engine in car coolant pinning thread.

Hes only copying Clarksons tongue in cheek style, just a bit poorly like the Top Gear USA team do...
Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
I'd have a fit if that was my car and he had his toys and food anywhere near it!

Recognised his quotes from on this forum including the right drill bit to use with was for a DIY engine in car coolant pinning thread.

Hes only copying Clarksons tongue in cheek style, just a bit poorly like the Top Gear USA team do...
Agreed he's kind of an ***. I'd be shocked if the owner didn't flip out about the ping-pong in the video. The only realistic point that he brings up is if you wanted to use it as a daily driver
Old 10-10-2014, 09:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

What a clown! Who drives a GT3 in flip flops?!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Let's just say that if I was an auto journalist, I'd be embarrassed to call this guy a 'colleague'.

This guy is a joke.
^^^^^ Does someone actually pay him to do this? What a joke.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 116 Posts

He kinda missed the point. We drive these cars to have fun not as mode of transport
Old 10-10-2014, 04:59 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

He's a freakin' tool! Any of us guys can make a better review of a car.

Quick Reply: jalopnik - GT3 review