Weekend at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Brakes are fine it's a GT3 maybe .2 rear brake cooling..
Brake punishment for a .2RS is 2:26
I'm a long way off of 2:26. I'd love to see 2:30 someday...
Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Had a great weekend with you and the gang Jon! The best I could do in the Cayman was 2:37. At the end of a session and I lifted. I will be faster next year :-)

Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by scott40
Had a great weekend with you and the gang Jon! The best I could do in the Cayman was 2:37. At the end of a session and I lifted. I will be faster next year :-)
Those were nice laps Scott. That lift had to cost you at least a second - maybe 2. I'm getting you on horsepower.

Looking forward to you having a muffler for the NCM event!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=scott40;11690572]Had a great weekend with you and the gang Jon! The best I could do in the Cayman was 2:37. At the end of a session and I lifted. I will be faster next year :-)

I don't know what you've done to that Cayman Scott, but dang...

One quick question for you guys. Clearly you have much much more track experience than I do.... I noticed (going into turn 5 for example) that you are in 4th or 5th gear going into the turn, and 2nd coming out. But it looks like both you guys actually let the clutch out in each gear on your way down to 2nd. Is that for a bit of engine braking? I usually just brake as hard and late as I can, and manage the heel-toe (once), as I go directly to the gear I want for the turn. Of course being patient to let the clutch out only when I'm at the appropriate speed. I've heard other (usually more experienced) drivers do what you guys do at the events I've done, so I'm gathering its the right thing to do.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jonwb

I don't know what you've done to that Cayman Scott, but dang...
He's a good driver too, just doesn't believe it.

One quick question for you guys. Clearly you have much much more track experience than I do.... I noticed (going into turn 5 for example) that you are in 4th or 5th gear going into the turn, and 2nd coming out. But it looks like both you guys actually let the clutch out in each gear on your way down to 2nd. Is that for a bit of engine braking? I usually just brake as hard and late as I can, and manage the heel-toe (once), as I go directly to the gear I want for the turn. Of course being patient to let the clutch out only when I'm at the appropriate speed. I've heard other (usually more experienced) drivers do what you guys do at the events I've done, so I'm gathering its the right thing to do.
You want to get the gears in the transmission spooled up to lessen the load on the synchros when you downshift. You need to let the clutch out in the lower gears as you change down to do that. At least that's my understanding.

Jon
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
I'm a long way off of 2:26. I'd love to see 2:30 someday...
It was in a .2 3.8RS so I'd think 5 seconds would be event tire for tire.

Quick Reply: Weekend at Road America