Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How much better is a 997.2 than a 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default How much better is a 997.2 than a 997.1?

I know this will be a subjective topic but here goes. I keep looking at For Sale ads for 997.2's and figure the delta between my '07 14K mile car and a .2 is somewhere around $25K-$30K. Many of the .2's don't have that many miles less than mine.

How much better is the .2 over my .1 and is it worth $30K? How many of you have upgraded from a non-rs .1 to a non-rs .2?

Thanks

Last edited by BartN (TX); 09-27-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a 2007 997.1 GT 3 and now a 2011 997.2 and the difference is significant. Don't know what your budget is but Porsche of San Antonio just got a great looking low mileage 2011 in and on the floor.... No it is not mine , as mine is a keeper.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Caveat: I am hugely biased in my response to your post...

I drove both prior to buying my 2011. Honestly the price difference was probably a little less when I was evaluating. But my seat of pants judgment was that the .2 was a huge step forward and worth the premium to me. I think that 4.0 and no more Mezger/stick has lifted the .2 RS, and that in turn lifted the .2 GT3. I just listed mine for sale and its in Texas. Its a powderpuff never tracked concours type car, so not sure if that is what you are looking for or willing to pay the premium, but just FYI since its in your backyard. You are welcome to see it and drive it if you are ever down in Austin. Regardless, good luck with your decision and search.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Just took a look at it. Nice car with the right seats but wrong brakes for me.

That said, I'm not sure I'm committed to the upgrade yet. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much improved it is.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Caveat: I am hugely biased in my response to your post...

I drove both prior to buying my 2011. Honestly the price difference was probably a little less when I was evaluating. But my seat of pants judgment was that the .2 was a huge step forward and worth the premium to me. I think that 4.0 and no more Mezger/stick has lifted the .2 RS, and that in turn lifted the .2 GT3. I just listed mine for sale and its in Texas. Its a powderpuff never tracked concours type car, so not sure if that is what you are looking for or willing to pay the premium, but just FYI since its in your backyard. You are welcome to see it and drive it if you are ever down in Austin. Regardless, good luck with your decision and search.
Thanks. It was actually your for-sale post that got me thinking about it again. I was actually in your great city last weekend watching the races at COTA. Have a friend in Dallas with an 11 GT3 that I need to bum a drive in. I think it'll be hard to really tell the difference on streets though.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Thanks. It was actually your for-sale post that got me thinking about it again. I was actually in your great city last weekend watching the races at COTA. Have a friend in Dallas with an 11 GT3 that I need to bum a drive in. I think it'll be hard to really tell the difference on streets though.
that was not my experience, but YMMV of course, let us know how it goes...

one of the best kept secrets at COTA is the annual SVRA races, coming up here in a couple weeks... hundreds of 60s-70s Porsches descend on Austin and spend a weekend racing on COTA, open pits, open paddocks, an absolute feast for the eyes/ears...
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Just took a look at it. Nice car with the right seats but wrong brakes for me.

That said, I'm not sure I'm committed to the upgrade yet. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much improved it is.
Saw your post about brakes . The one at Porsche of San Antonio has PCCB's as does mine and I swear by them. Have them on my Spyder as well. If you track a lot they can become expensive, but for street driving with some mild tracking an autocrossing thrown in they will out last steel rotors, are half the weight (significant reduction in unstrung weigh an thus improved handling) AND little or no brake dust YEA !
Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
one of the best kept secrets at COTA is the annual SVRA races,
I see it's October 8th thru 11th. That may just work out for me. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried both back to back on the street before buying, limited speed but clear difference in torque and suspension (more compliant), plus a better interior and PCM if it matters to you. PASM works well, better than in the .1 from comments.
I choose .2
Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was in the market it was a 10-15k difference.

To me, imo, i could not justify it.

I saw a 15kmiles w the right seats and warranty will 2018 going for 90. I passed on it.

To me. Interior is least of my worries. Imo, exterior looks nicer upfront and rear bumpers on .1. However I do like .2 wing a lot. Give kudos to that.

Power- meh. Yup a bit more hump.
Yea it rides firmer.
Hoping my tpc module fixes that use on mine .1

Again IMO

Pros of .1 over .2
- Front + Rear bumpers look nicer
- Less electronics to break
- 5 lugs
- Proven motor w reliability. ( Didn't have the lwfw / bolt coming lose inside the manifold)
- Roof rack system.

Cons of .1 over .2

- Older
- less hp/tq
- Not so good PASM - TPC Unit fix
- Can't fully turn off PSM like .2 ( but found out that .1 really doesn't do jack sh** anyways so its okay--for me, i would not include this as not relevant, but for sake of others )
- Consumes more rear brakes people say ( I don't brake so don't worry on this--for me, i would not include this as not relevant, but for sake of others
)
- Prefer the .2 wing over .1 ( but not enough to replace my taco wing)

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 09-26-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 PM
limitedslip
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Drive both, see what you think but I think it all boils down to how much you can afford!

Looking at the market you can get a .1 with 20k miles in the 80s while a .2 with 30k miles is still 100k plus.

To me it didn't make any sense to pay more for more miles even if the car is better :-p
Old 09-26-2014, 06:46 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
When I was in the market it was a 10-15k difference.

To me, imo, i could not justify it.

I saw a 15kmiles w the right seats and warranty will 2018 going for 90. I passed on it.

To me. Interior is least of my worries. Imo, exterior looks nicer upfront and rear bumpers on .1. However I do like .2 wing a lot. Give kudos to that.

Power- meh. Yup a bit more hump.
Yea it rides firmer.
Hoping my tpc module fixes that use on mine .1

Again IMO

Pros of .1 over .2
- Front + Rear bumpers look nicer
- Less electronics to break
- 5 lugs
- Proven motor w reliability. ( Didn't have the lwfw / bolt coming lose inside the manifold)
- Roof rack system.

Cons of .1 over .2

- Older
- less hp/tq
- Not so good PASM - TPC Unit fix
- Can't fully turn off PSM like .2 ( but found out that .1 really doesn't do jack sh** anyways so its okay--for me, i would not include this as not relevant, but for sake of others )
- Consumes more rear brakes people say ( I don't brake so don't worry on this--for me, i would not include this as not relevant, but for sake of others
)
- Prefer the .2 wing over .1 ( but not enough to replace my taco wing)
Few comments:

lwfw is only on the RS... loose bolts seem to be a consequence of that setup as the std GT3 absorbs vibrations with the heavier fw.

Also it seems there are more events with cooling hoses coming loose on the .1, not a minor point (do your research on that)...

Not only an issue on the wing looks, downforce is quite higher, don't have the data but shake n' bake showed data and you get about 200 lb of downforce vs virtually zero on the .1

a bit extra torque is a nice addition on the 3.8...

steering wheel on the .1 to me is nicer than the std issue on the .2 (you can swap it for the sports wheel in the 4.0 but that's another story $)

good luck with your decision !

JC
Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
Few comments:

lwfw is only on the RS... loose bolts seem to be a consequence of that setup as the std GT3 absorbs vibrations with the heavier fw.

Also it seems there are more events with cooling hoses coming loose on the .1, not a minor point (do your research on that)...

Not only an issue on the wing looks, downforce is quite higher, don't have the data but shake n' bake showed data and you get about 200 lb of downforce vs virtually zero on the .1

a bit extra torque is a nice addition on the 3.8...

steering wheel on the .1 to me is nicer than the std issue on the .2 (you can swap it for the sports wheel in the 4.0 but that's another story $)

good luck with your decision !

JC
Yea unfortunately all of them suffer with the loss of coolant due to the glued inserts :/ I guess we can avoid that by going to 991's .
Old 09-26-2014, 08:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

the difference is not substantial. 3.8L, bigger brakes, different valving of shocks, satelite radio option, centerlocks.....

If both cars are out of warranty the delta would have to be 5-10k max to consider.
Natutally you go for the newest you can afford however I personally prefer the 5 lugs and taco wing of .1 Simple Simon.

Given the same money or a 5k max delta I would do the 997.2.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 09-27-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of great input here. As said before it boils down to personal appreciation of small aesthetic differences between the two models and the $ delta.

Looks like those with a .2 are happy with their decision just as the .1 owners.

Could it be that both are just absolutely magnificent iterations of an iconic sportscar?

Quick Reply: How much better is a 997.2 than a 997.1?