Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How much better is a 997.2 than a 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
What type of running costs differences are there between a cup and a 997 gt3RS? Both have a Mezger engine - so there should be no difference there? If an RS is being "campaigned" like a cup car, the running costs should go up too. Parts need to be timed out in street cars too. Running a cup at DE events and not racing - would have to lower the running costs. When I see cups selling at 90k and RS's at 150K - it's got me thinking!
I too have wondered the same.
Would I be correct in saying a crew and support is warranted for a Cup car. Even for a D.E weekend?
Granted the Cup parts are more expensive then street car parts which is a given.

Any car that is capable of Cup car speeds is going to wear and tear parts much faster then a slower street car I assume?

Been trying to talk myself out of a Cup car for a year now...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,088 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Would I be correct in saying a crew and support is warranted for a Cup car. Even for a D.E weekend?
Granted the Cup parts are more expensive then street car parts which is a given.

Any car that is capable of Cup car speeds is going to wear and tear parts much faster then a slower street car I assume?

I haven't owned a cup car so I'm just speaking from what I've heard and seen. First, on a cup you'll want to run slicks which can be 2x+ the cost of NT01s. The cup requires 100 octance due to a higher compression. The engine and tranny of the cup need to be rebuilt after so many hours due to the stress (especially the tranny with all the hard shifting). The clutches on the cup wear out quicker. Plus I would think that you'd want a support crew for the cup, not so much for a street driven RS.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

$5k / weekend + broken parts. At least that's what I hear...GT3 is a lot less than that.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
$5k / weekend + broken parts. At least that's what I hear...GT3 is a lot less than that.
I figured as much.
Gotta pay to play i suppose.

Lately, With the amount of free time i get for the track I think i am actually getting worse lol.
I need more practice in the RS before i am Cup worthy. Much more...
Old 09-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

It depends on level of support with cup..I chose to get full support w/GMG... cost was $6-10k per weekend, depending on how many tires, etc.. tires are expensive and in a cup.. you don't want old tires.. you run 6-8 cycles max, then need new rubber.. or else times drop dramatically. Also, don't get a cup unless you plan to race.. as doing DE in cup is miserable.. especially if there is no open passing. I would not try and DIY with a cup... helps on back end to properly maintain and keep it clean.

If you can spring it, it is worth owning one at least once in your life.. especially if you love to track all the time.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

997.1 can be made real fast sunroof and all : ). If the price delta between the 2 is 25-30k - the mods done to make it competitive can always be removed and sold- just keep your stock stuff. I keep it. Mike
Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
For a drivers car, not caring about collecting, A .1 gt3 with sharky 3.9 and full suspension overhaul would come in considerably less than the premium for a .2 rs. I know it's not a fair comparison but when u are talking money spent on a drivers car Id say that would be tough to beat.
This sounds like a great idea to me! Maybe start w/ a higher mileage .1 (35,000mi+). Suspension work might be tricky as I'm not sure if there is a turn-key solution that bridges the .1 to .2 gap.

Has anyone put RS front fenders on a standard GT3 so they can get more rubber up front (less understeer)?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
It depends on level of support with cup..I chose to get full support w/GMG... cost was $6-10k per weekend, depending on how many tires, etc.. tires are expensive and in a cup.. you don't want old tires.. you run 6-8 cycles max, then need new rubber.. or else times drop dramatically. Also, don't get a cup unless you plan to race.. as doing DE in cup is miserable.. especially if there is no open passing. I would not try and DIY with a cup... helps on back end to properly maintain and keep it clean.

If you can spring it, it is worth owning one at least once in your life.. especially if you love to track all the time.
99% right.
but i dont think $6000 a weekend will cut it. you are not counting something.
8000 to start would be about right
but of course, the accounts are fungible, else we will both faint and die in shock!

then amortize engine/tranny/other mechanicals to be timed out.

but hey it's FUN.
when you snort coke, you dont think about how much $ or how much brain damage you will suffer....
well, cup is way worse than drugs.

i often goto garage to snort the fresh slicks mixed with 100 oct fuel....
man, you all should try it.
it really gets you HIGH.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
Has anyone put RS front fenders on a standard GT3 so they can get more rubber up front (less understeer)?
You can put 245 tires in the front of a NB, no need for fender extensions.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude

Agree with your post. My last race weekend was $10k, which included 2 new sets of slicks. I always pay for track support during a race weekend, but often go solo at an open track day. In the grand scheme of things, the cost to run a Cup is not over the top when you truly consider the overall experience. There is absolutely nothing that compares.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Agree with your post. My last race weekend was $10k, which included 2 new sets of slicks. I always pay for track support during a race weekend, but often go solo at an open track day. In the grand scheme of things, the cost to run a Cup is not over the top when you truly consider the overall experience. There is absolutely nothing that compares.
u married yet?
i love driving the cup, then i have to go home and fudge the numbers then answer to the warden...eehr CFO... or witch... i mean wife.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago I vacillated on whether to convert my 4k mi .1RS to track duty\street car or buy a 996 Cup. The money to add necessary saftey equip, seat, suspension, steel rotors, gearing ect. which essentially would ruin the street car aspect of the .1RS got me looking at Cup cars (my comments here are based on 996 Cup vs .1RS and my experience with both, I can't comment on 997 Cup cost).

I simply do POC DE and have it pro maintained by 911 Design before or after each event but at the track I handle it all without issue. There are ways to save money doing it on your own, friends can help as well, so I don't see any cost difference in a 996 Cup vs RS for track days, DE or TT. (Cup racing will get costly but I doubt anyone regularly Cup races their street car?) In fact, I would go so far as to argue a 996 Cup is cheaper for the simple fact that the initial purchase of a 996 Cup is cheaper than a .1RS. Even engine\trans rebuilds, if driven the same, would be comparable in time out and rebuild cost I think. And don't discount how much it would cost to mod an RS to be safe and perform like an 'out of the box' 996 Cup.

Note that I said "driven the same". Once purchased, Cup or RS, same maintenance, same coaching, same support, same broken parts, ect. is going to be performed on either car. Whether that's on the the cheap or top shelf it's the same. I don't keep an accurate record of expenses in my head for reasons to keep my sanity but round numbers I get through an "uneventful" weekend at $4 to $4.5k easy (not factoring rebuilds, I compartmentalize that as "price of admission", not daily expenses like other items and consumables) Now Mooty, refrain from "enlightening" me, I like my little world just the way it is.

My basic point is I have not looked back at having a Cup vs modified RS, not to mention the Cup is truly all business physically and mentally. In regard to having to rein in a Cup on DE events I disagree. I started in the slow run groups and as I improved my driving skill I moved up with like drivers. The "nut" behind the wheel is what's holding the car back and I have years, maybe never, to reach the skill level that exceeds the ability of a Cup (true with an RS as well). In addition, I attribute my skill level raising because of the Cups inherent capabilities which in turn leaves no room for excuses when it comes to the results at the end of the day. If driving a Cup at DE events gets frustrating then great, your skill level is exceeding the run group, move on up to the next challenge.

And I proudly say my .1 RS is a GQ with 6k miles but when she does get out she's rode hard, relatively speaking, and put away wet! (then cleaned, ha)

Tim
Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

TK,

I have had the same comments made from Cup owners. DE and racing are like night and day. Track support is not necessary for DE weekends. Wear and tear goes down in comparison as well. Many are running hohos on a 997.2RS. You don't have to run Michelin slicks on a Cup - you can run hoosiers and still enjoy. At the Porsche Cup at Le Mans this past year, one driver transported his cup car in an open trailer - so no big hauler with all kinds of support.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
A few years ago I vacillated on whether to convert my 4k mi .1RS to track duty\street car or buy a 996 Cup.

And I proudly say my .1 RS is a GQ with 6k miles but when she does get out she's rode hard, relatively speaking, and put away wet! (then cleaned, ha)

Tim
Are you the one with that minty silver/orange RS? Nice car. Not too many silver's out there. Chuckwalla this weekend? (going to be HOT)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're out numbered and made to feel like the red headed step child. It's just not fair, we silver\orange guys must stick together!!

Quick Reply: How much better is a 997.2 than a 997.1?