Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCB to iron swap reco please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 AM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCCB to iron swap reco please

I think I'll swap my PCCB rotors to iron soon. I plan to keep the yellow calipers and would like to keep the parking brake.
My car is a 2007 GT3.

Will someone please give me a few details on which rotors/pads to buy?
Pointing me to a helpful thread would be fine too.

I've read that PFC slotted front and OEM discs rear work well. But I'm not sure which size disc I need to get.

Also, I plan to drive street and track. I see reference to guys liking PFC08 pads. How are these on the street?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had an excellent experiencewith Brembo type III rotors and pagid rs29 or PFC08 pads
The Brembo rotors are not cheap but they do last in my application which mostly track and about 10-15 days per year

I got my last set from Betim and Joey at BBI
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

+1 on the brembo/pfc08 combo. Pfc do make noise on street. Brembo type3 rear do support parking brake. Your brakes are 380/350mm same as .2 cars.

If you go pfc rotors the rears do not support parking brake. So slotted pfc front rear is turbo or Oem. The guys at apex performance are good with pfc and will help you out. I get my brembo from bbi also they are local to me.

The pad I use on street is brembo ts20. It's a really good street pad and I've up used it on track. Pfc better for track. Ts20 makes no noise and has great pedal feel. Low dust too.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
If you go pfc rotors the rears do not support parking brake.
There are two options for PFC rears, slotted and dimpled. The slotted "race" rotors have aluminum hats that eliminate the parking brake; the dimpled "street" rotors have steel and do support the parking brake. Once you wear out the dimpled discs you can replace them with slotted discs to match the fronts.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
There are two options for PFC rears, slotted and dimpled. The slotted "race" rotors have aluminum hats that eliminate the parking brake; the dimpled "street" rotors have steel and do support the parking brake. Once you wear out the dimpled discs you can replace them with slotted discs to match the fronts.
Slotted discs are lighter and thinner (but less heat capacity). You can run a thicker PFC pad
Old 08-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on the brembo/pfc08 combo. Pfc do make noise on street. Brembo type3 rear do support parking brake. Your brakes are 380/350mm same as .2 cars.

If you go pfc rotors the rears do not support parking brake. So slotted pfc front rear is turbo or Oem. The guys at apex performance are good with pfc and will help you out. I get my brembo from bbi also they are local to me.

The pad I use on street is brembo ts20. It's a really good street pad and I've up used it on track. Pfc better for track. Ts20 makes no noise and has great pedal feel. Low dust too.
I use Brembo type 111 discs front and rear with TS20 up front, RS19 rear. Works fine on the street and track. The floating discs are noisy as hell on the street. Will probably try PFC 08's come time to swap out the pads.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I like the whirring noise they make :-)
Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the whirring noise they make :-)
Me too after I root caused the issue. It's really not that bad unless your driving freeway speeds and near a wall
Old 08-22-2014, 07:35 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

I swapped out my PCCB's for PFC/OEM components. Went with 997 Turbo rear rotor (right side rotor part number shown below only) and PFC Slotted fronts. PFC08 pads. I bought the PFC items through Apex Performance (apexperformance.net) - Clark is great and offers a PCA discount, if you're a member. Work great on track (for my application - DE) and street. Here are some pics.

Hope that helps with one option to consider.
Attached Images        
Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 AM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks to all.
awew911, the pictures are very helpful. Thanks.

How are PFC08 pads for street? Are they noisy?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

No, they are pretty well behaved. I was surprised given what they are. Squeak occasionally, but Hawk DTC70 is far far worse in comparison.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Once in a while they squeak, but it isn't bad at all... Actually, it's kinda cool. Pull up to a stop light and sounds like an old bus. Others probably think I need a brake job.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwb
Many thanks to all.
awew911, the pictures are very helpful. Thanks.

How are PFC08 pads for street? Are they noisy?
pfc is very noisy on street.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
No, they are pretty well behaved. I was surprised given what they are. Squeak occasionally, but Hawk DTC70 is far far worse in comparison.
anything in particular you did to keep them quiet ? Mine sound aweful on the street. I see people take duck and cover with their ears- how loud and annoying they are. Embarrassing at times.

Originally Posted by awew911
Once in a while they squeak, but it isn't bad at all... Actually, it's kinda cool. Pull up to a stop light and sounds like an old bus. Others probably think I need a brake job.
Old bus is how they sound all the time for me...
Old 08-22-2014, 01:57 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
pfc is very noisy on street.

anything in particular you did to keep them quiet ? Mine sound aweful on the street. I see people take duck and cover with their ears- how loud and annoying they are. Embarrassing at times.

Oddly enough, mine used to squeak when first installed. I recently rebuilt my front and rear calipers and after doing so, the squeaking stopped. I can think of some factors which may have affected it. I replaced inner seals, pistons, and dust covers. The previous dust covers were all but cracked and heat damaged. Maybe they help reduce some of the high frequency vibration transmission to the calipers. Not sure Just did a track event with brand new set of pads (front/rear) and not one squeak all weekend.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
pfc is very noisy on street

Nope, they have never been Loud for me. I'm on my 6th set and 3 set of rotors. I never swap them out. I'm about to try the dimpled rotors to see if it helps with my crazy cracking issues....

(BTW I have the motorsports pucks (yellow) and I leave the backing plates on, which I'd guess can remove some vibration)

They will squeak from time to time coming to a full stop at a light - but it is nothing like I used to endure with the M3 + DTC70s.

Quick Reply: PCCB to iron swap reco please