Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche 997.2 GT3RS Complete Build w/ GMG Exhaust, Headers, Roll Bar, 130R Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:34 AM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9972RS
hmm, just remembered this... seems like they have "good" products, but poor customer service

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ck-wheels.html
Got a friend who purchased a WC packaged GMG GT3, called to get details, and ran into wall with customer service. Not good at all.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Jerry - Do you guys make the 130R to fit 991 GT3? And are those 19 or 20"? Thank you.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 AM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this how I get GMG to reply to an inquiry? I've phoned, emailed, phoned again. No interest from GMG in selling a programmer to me for a package that was installed by them a year or so ago for the previous owner. I was told "that's a while ago" and told to send an email, which I did, with no reply. Id love some information about the package installed on my car and I'd love to buy a programmer to use the high octane tune that has been installed on the computer with the rest of the upgrades. This is WC-17. It's a red 2010 GT3. It can be found on the GMG website with all the items installed by GMG listed along with photos of the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol this is jokes. A so called well known tuner with "race proven" products that just isn't willing to provide customer service.

Good luck to all who are trying to deal with these guys.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Guys, it's not worth my time anymore. It's not the burden of the customer to prove anything but ask for help. I'm working through Elite in austin and they said you were not interested in replacing the cats - and that's what they think is wrong. Happy to send it to you, but I'm not sinking any more money or time into them except bitching about your products in this forum.

Sharkwerks on the other hand has spent hours with me on the phone about a $100 part.
Sharkwerks is fantastic. Great products, great service.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Here is a summary of our warranty policy and here are some facts about our GMG Porsche 997 GT3/GT3RS headers:

“It also does not cover wear items such as catalytic converters.”
Funny, GMG online store does not indicate on header product page, that indeed no warranty is implied or stated to cover the catalytic converters. It also states no MIL or CEL will occur, because their cats are fed on whole milk, not skim.

In fact, I cannot find a single warranty or other piece of documentation on your website for the customer to review prior to purchase -- FOR ANY PRODUCT.

I suspect that we get this piece of paper in the box, and then come to find out its not worth the paper its printed on.

GMG GT3 Catalytic Converters:

1. HJS Catalytic Converters are the best catalytic converters made. They are 100% stainless steel and 100% made in Germany.
-More information about HJS: http://www.hjs.com/aftermarket/faq/c...onverters.html
2. Majority of GT3/GT3RS vehicles with GMG cats have zero problems under normal operating conditions.
3. Extreme operating conditions such as motorsports use or improper fuel/air ratio accelerate wear and tear
4. Our 996 and 997 Turbo cats almost never fail after years of daily driving
5. O2 Sensor parameters on the GT3 are much more narrow. Unlike the Turbo and other vehicles, the slightest degradation of the cats can trigger the CEL
6. Software flash is highly recommended to widen the parameters of the O2 sensors
Sorry, but using words such as "Majority" and "Almost" are softball responses to actual fail rates by your 3rd party vendor, HJS. It does nothing to help the situation.

"You should totally buy that Land Rover, it runs the majority of the time, and it almost never breaks down!"

Regarding a tune recommendation, again nowhere to be seen on any product page. But the one thing that I do read is that these cats don't throw codes! Oh wait....

And from the looks of how you handle your customer tunes, see DD quote below, I doubt people are going to feel like throwing more money at the problem.

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Is this how I get GMG to reply to an inquiry? I've phoned, emailed, phoned again. No interest from GMG in selling a programmer to me for a package that was installed by them a year or so ago for the previous owner. I was told "that's a while ago" and told to send an email, which I did, with no reply.

ShakeNBake,

We are here to do our best to help our customers and those of our dealers but "bitching" about our products on this forum is not going to help resolve the problem.
See DD post above.

Surelynkid,

The HJS 200 Cell high flow catalytic converters do not always trigger a check engine light. If that was true, then most of our customers would be having this problem since we have sold hundreds of these headers worldwide over the past few years. A few owners have experienced the Check Engine Light when there is a slight degradation of the cats because the parameters of the 02 sensor on the 997 GT3RS is very narrow compared to other models. If the cats are still good, one solution that we have is spacing the 02 sensors further from the cats to reduce the readings of the gases. In many cases, this resolves the problem. Flashing the ECU is also highly recommended as it would also solve this problem by changing the parameters of the 02 sensors.

Again, none of this information is stated on the product page or communicated in writing.

So lets recap.

-Customer buys headers, and CEL is thrown
-GMG says to buy a tune to code it out.
-Customer didn't know this was required prior to purchase, and therefore wants refund.
-GMG says no, pastes warranty language on forum for members to read and possibly die from boredom
-Calls Shake Bake a bitch

Problem here is all the white labeling GMG does with their product lineup. HJS probably has a weak warranty on their cats and so exhaust builders in turn offer none to cover their ***.

Does United go after GE when they have something wrong with the engine? Or do they call up Boeing? If I were a vendor I would think twice before I slapped my name on it. GMG should probably do a better job at communicating expectations and reality to their customers.

Last edited by FJSeattle; 09-03-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:58 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is expected with GMG. a friend of mine goes there and says " jokingly" that you need a black card to do business there. James doesnt give a **** about his customers. i tried to be one at one point but felt like i was being treated like a 2nd rate customer. i wont even talk about fab... I think they made good products and there racing cutomers and crew are quit nice. but dont expect service. i dont even bother calling them or dealing with them . i do however try to find 2nd hand gmg parts...
Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Guys - want to follow up here with some trivia. It's come to my attention that somehow my local shop here in town has been negatively impacted by comments I have made about GMG products here on Renn. I would like to say for the record, that this shop, who I will not mention again, went way beyond any conceivable expectations trying to help with this. Never once did they throw GMG under the bus. I am ashamed/embarrassed to have mentioned them in any light that would put them at risk.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Shake and Bake and everyone else here reading this, I am happy to take any inquiry/questions/etc from anyone and always make myself as available as possible, hence my name and contact info on my signature.

While we try hard to make all our customers happy, sometimes we miss the ball but in the end I am here to help as all our GMG employees are.

Thanks for understanding......

My email is James@gmgracing.com

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Quick Reply: Porsche 997.2 GT3RS Complete Build w/ GMG Exhaust, Headers, Roll Bar, 130R Wheels