Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2011 3.8 RS Pressure Plate Failure = Denied Warranty Claim

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:43 AM
michaellitt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cajuncroc
I would also ask Porsche to justify, in writing, how an ECU flash caused this failure if there are no over revs, etc. I can understand a denial for a burnt value, injector problems, but not this.
You're absolutely right. It's a tough claim to justify and these types of circumstances are covered within the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Working on a formal appeal with evidence collected now. The thread about PP failures should help as evidence of the problem being acknowledged with updated part numbers.

Thanks for the help thus far all!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
michaellitt
Intermediate

Hey all, figured it worth updating the thread.

Found out all I could about the car as well as prepped a formal appeal with the legal firm I regularly work with.

Porsche *just* formally replied with the following:

TL;DR - Based on pictures, they've determined that the pressure plate failure was caused by "the vehicle being driven in a manner outside of the parameters for which it was designed to handle".

Don't drive your Porsche GT3 RS like a performance car. For reference, I have 0 stage 3's and a handful of stage 2 over-revs.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Litt,

I've spoken again to Porsche Cars Canada who have reviewed the entire situation with PAG's warranty group. Their reason for the denial of warranty is actually a little more complicated than the simple fact that the vehicle was modified. The modification of the vehicle's software in and of itself may not have caused the failure of your vehicle's flywheel, however, as I understand it, the modification of the software could easily mask the true extent of those over revs which may have exceeded range 2 substantially. The fact that the most recent over rev was only about 20 operating minutes before the ultimate failure also provides some strong indication that the two events are related.

Ultimately, however, the decision to deny this particular claim did not come from either of these 2 factors alone. A full tear down analysis performed by the dealer and submitted with pictures was reviewed extensively by our warranty group in Germany. They feel very confident in their determination, after reviewing all of the facts, that this particular failure was not caused by a manufacturer's defect but by the vehicle being driven in a manner outside of the parameters for which it was designed to handle. They are currently standing firm on their decision to deny this claim and Porsche Cars Canada is in support of this determination.

We understand of course that you are not going to be very satisfied with this answer. The warranty group in Germany did offer to perform a more extensive analysis of all of the parts and Porsche Cars Canada would be willing to pay for the shipping to perform such an analysis if you so desire. Keeping in mind of course that such an analysis could take several months to perform and the results would more than likely be the same but this is unfortunately the only recourse that I can offer at this time.

I do sincerely regret that I was not able to provide better news in this situation but I assure you that this decision was made after careful consideration of all factors involved. You're more than welcome to call me again if you'd like to discuss the matter further.

------------------------------------------------------------

My confidence in the brand has been shattered. This is the last Porsche I will ever own.

Last edited by michaellitt; 08-19-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry to hear that

I saw a complete 997.1 gearbox for 7 or 8k on the forum a few weeks ago - just swap it out
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

A full tear down analysis performed by the dealer and submitted with pictures was reviewed extensively by our warranty group in Germany.
If they can look at a few <1X photos of a failed surface and determine the failure mode then we now know who won the bid on Steve Austin's eyeball on eBay.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Let me help you out...I'll give you a perfectly nice GT3 as an even trade for your busted, defective RS. Seriously, I'm happy to do it for you. Don't worry about me...I'll figure something out to get it back on the road ;-)

Too soon?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Much more generous than two of my friends offers for my GT3 after it was backed into. They were all the way up to $40000, after it was repaired.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

That sucks, I'm sorry. I've had better luck, but maybe it's just luck.

Don't give them an excuse.....don't touch software, clean the car up, etc.....might improve the odds.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the clutch parts to a lab that does failure analysis (google it)... send Porsche the report with litigation...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by michaellitt
They feel very confident in their determination, after reviewing all of the facts, that this particular failure was not caused by a manufacturer's defect but by the vehicle being driven in a manner outside of the parameters for which it was designed to handle .
Ask them to be spesific about this: What type of driving has ocurred outside the parameters the vehicle has been designed to handle? In my opinion the argument stated here is just general BS, they haven't given a technical reason as to how the fault happened.

To be able to make an argument as quoted above they have to be specific about the parameters the vehicle is designed to handle, and how this parameters have been violated. They haven't given you any of this.

How can you drive the car in a manner causing a fault to components designed for the 4.0 RS that has both more power and torque than your car? If they cannot argue this in detail they don't really have a case do they?

Edit:

Is it really possible to alter the recorded overrevs, and if so, is it really possible to just alter the the revranges from 3 and up??? I didn't think a reflash affected the recorded overrevs, this means that anyone can wipe clean the higher ranges pre-sale as they see fit?

Last edited by runet; 08-20-2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 08-20-2014, 07:59 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are over revs, and there is ECU modification .. why is it suprising that Porsche denied the claim?

On GT3s, ANY over rev means engine speed was HIGHER than maximum permitted revs (i.e. car was used outside of the rev range it was designed for).

Why should Porsche stand behind a car whose ECU has been modified? ECU is the car's brain. I can't think of a better reason to deny a warranty claim, especially when linked to over revs.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

The crank case runs at a negative pressure....this pressure is used to actuate the exhaust valves on an oem exhaust

Exhaust that remove the side mufflers disconnect these valves, if not plugged properly the crankcase loses pressure...causing the rms to prematurely fail

I was never denied warranty from my exhaust, but see why they would

My car is on it's third pressure plate, one from wear and one from a friend selecting the wrong gear. I've paid for the pressure plates myself...this is a pay to play part of track usage. Porsche can easily put a more robust pressure plate in...but ur street car gt3 will become less drivable on the road...and bad heel toe / money shifts will be transmitted to the drivetrain quicker
Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 PM
bw12GT3.2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read a couple of articles on the 3.8 GT3RS pressure plate failures. When I put the light weight fly wheel in my GT3 I went with a 4.0 GT3RS complete assembly. In my opinion it is constructed better than the 3.8. To make a long story short, I think that Porsche has a manufacturing problem with the 3.8 GT3RS pressure plate. I would be persistent on the warranty.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 PM
michaellitt
Intermediate

IT CONCLUDES:

I had a friend send a poetic e-mail about his decision (force-fed by me) to buy a 987 R instead of an M3 to my contact at Porsche US this morning.

The e-mail was delivered in parallel with my settlement offer in lieu of small claims court action.

I immediately received a call from the director of "after sales" at Porsche Canada who offered to pay for parts as long as I covered labour.

Hell has frozen over. Squeaky wheels do get grease. Thanks for all of the advisory!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Great news!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

So, you asking $180K for your car before or after the repairs?

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/...O&orup=1_15_10

Quick Reply: 2011 3.8 RS Pressure Plate Failure = Denied Warranty Claim