Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fix Your F@#KING PIPES

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Crex - glad you were ok. Friend of mine was in the orange Mclaren and very nearly came to grief out of pouhon. His friend in the E46 unfortunately wasn't so lucky... bloody poor as well the guy kept on slopping coolant around the track after.
Thanks--your friend's Macca was plenty fast and looked great doing it. Poor E46... i seem to remember that to be a CSL too, or was that his slightly more fortunate pal...

I'd hate to see a CSL damaged, even more so, out of exogenous donkeyesque factors...
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already been down this road with Manthey in 2012. They repairs blown hoses in accordance with Porsche maintenance guidelines which = the exact same way it came from the factory. Hoses are a "time out" piece that need to be replaced [I]before[I] there is an incident just like on Cup cars. You would be prudent to add this to the list of regular periodic maintenance if you track your GT3 regularly but with age an incident can still happen on the street. If you run your Mezger in hot climates with lots of heat cycles expect the frequency of blow outs to be higher. Don't shoot the messenger, govern yourself accordingly.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Already been down this road with Manthey in 2012. They repairs blown hoses in accordance with Porsche maintenance guidelines which = the exact same way it came from the factory. Hoses are a "time out" piece that need to be replaced [I]before[I] there is an incident just like on Cup cars. You would be prudent to add this to the list of regular periodic maintenance if you track your GT3 regularly but with age an incident can still happen on the street. If you run your Mezger in hot climates with lots of heat cycles expect the frequency of blow outs to be higher. Don't shoot the messenger, govern yourself accordingly.
That's interesting. What maintenance schedule is there for hoses in cup cars? I've just had my blown hose replaced with a factory part by Porsche, hence me asking the question. No facility to pin hoses here in the ME.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liquid911
That's interesting. What maintenance schedule is there for hoses in cup cars? I've just had my blown hose replaced with a factory part by Porsche, hence me asking the question. No facility to pin hoses here in the ME.
My only experience with a Cup is driving one. There are far more qualified owners or better, shops that maintain them, which can answer that question. Best to contact a good race shop you know and trust to see what they recommend.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Cups generally don't have this problem, even in the older 6's over here. But if you follow Motorsport's rebuild regime they're all supposed to see an engine refresh every 40 race hours and these things get picked up during the refresh/rebuild.

I haven't done my Cup yet, but given recent experience I just want peace of mind and will be getting another sharky kit in there.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks guys, i do around 5k a year so maybe 2 years is a safe bet re replacing the errant pieces again
Old 07-11-2014, 07:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I keep hearing about this happening at track and have been lucky to be a Sebring and been on track when this happened but after cars pile up in a wreck the red flag is flown before I get to the area of the coolant dump.

Other cars besides GT3 losing coolant hoses and/or pipes on track lately...at Sebring it seems like the corner works are more into the magazine they are reading than looking at track conditions.

This has had me re-think DE events...just not worth killing yourself.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:38 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OVR-PCA does not allow Mezger engine cars on track unless the pipes have been pinned or welded, or the car is running water (+ water wetter if desired). Other regions should follow suit.

This has been so well documented for so long, it's really hard to believe that people are still running these cars without the doing the repairs...

Jon
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed, we should have a public shaming and rollcall for those here on teh GT2/GT3 section that don't have their coolant pipes already welded/pinned...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Water wetter in mine before first day on track. Welded now.

Not all drivers that track these are on rennlist and many have no clue to this issue. Pca/poc groups probably need to get this on tech list.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad you're OK CRex!

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Do we have actual incidents of .2's dumping yet?
Yes, my 7.2 GT3 dumped coolant at Ridge last month.

Didn't mess around. Coolant fittings are all welded with Sharkwerks coolant pipes. I hear pinning has a chance to get shavings into the motor,... just spend another 75% and get it done right without chance for it coming undone or a $$$ engine job.

Not worth the risk. Was not fun.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:28 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
OVR-PCA does not allow Mezger engine cars on track unless the pipes have been pinned or welded, or the car is running water (+ water wetter if desired). Other regions should follow suit. This has been so well documented for so long, it's really hard to believe that people are still running these cars without the doing the repairs... Jon
The fact there are organizations excluding cars that have not had this sorted highlights the ridiculousness of Porsches ignorance of the issue. Is absolutely appalling.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 98 Posts

It's not ignorance, it's a concious decision to save money by not dealing with the problem.

Originally Posted by nzskater
The fact there are organizations excluding cars that have not had this sorted highlights the ridiculousness of Porsches ignorance of the issue. Is absolutely appalling.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speeds5
It's not ignorance, it's a concious decision to save money by not dealing with the problem.
Yep. May be the same guys who'd blow $2k on hookers but not bother with a $2 rubber...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How frequent does this happened to drivers on roads vs the race track?
I'm asking, because I maybe driving a very long distance in the near future on public roads, over 2,000 miles and would hate for this to happen.

Quick Reply: Fix Your F@#KING PIPES