Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who is at COTA this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
MVP was pretty killer, best event at COTA this year so far. I hope Chin lives up to the high expectations. Edge would have been ok this weekend, but there was some serious resume padding and special favors going on - it was amazing to me that there was no car contact. The highlight of the event for me was a track walk of 7-8-9. I would rather have seen 5-6 and 16-17-18, but I'll take what I can get.
Some resume padding with MVP as well. The elevation change at 7-8-9 is amazing on the track walk. I never realized how much there was. Much more significant including camber changes versus driving it. Also interesting to see how the curbing gets gradually bumpier the further you get into it which is significant if you try to cut across 8.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Martin keep me posted on this one :-)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Some resume padding with MVP as well.
Yep. I was at Road Atlanta with MVP yesterday. First session yesterday in the advanced grp I witnessed a guy destroy an expensive late model car at turn 1. He was all in my mirrors when I was caught in a train...I let him by anyway then followed him for a lap once the logjam cleared. He was off at T7 but kept his foot in it. Then he was in some bad places on other parts of the track. I started giving him a lot of room. Next thing I see he is airborne, lands upside down and hits the wall on the outside of T1. He walked away but is lucky he didn't kill himself and possibly take somebody else out too. I don't have much doubt this was due to resume padding. I think Mark P is a good guy and I'm glad MVP is out there as an option, but I believe the event organizers should thoroughly check the qualifications of their entrants. If their history is unknown, downgrade them until they can prove their skills with a checkride. It pays not to take anything for granted. In the meantime, I am sticking with Chin.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Yep. I was at Road Atlanta with MVP yesterday. First session yesterday in the advanced grp I witnessed a guy destroy an expensive late model car at turn 1. He was all in my mirrors when I was caught in a train...I let him by anyway then followed him for a lap once the logjam cleared. He was off at T7 but kept his foot in it. Then he was in some bad places on other parts of the track. I started giving him a lot of room. Next thing I see he is airborne, lands upside down and hits the wall on the outside of T1. He walked away but is lucky he didn't kill himself and possibly take somebody else out too. I don't have much doubt this was due to resume padding. I think Mark P is a good guy and I'm glad MVP is out there as an option, but I believe the event organizers should thoroughly check the qualifications of their entrants. If their history is unknown, downgrade them until they can prove their skills with a checkride. It pays not to take anything for granted. In the meantime, I am sticking with Chin.
We didn't have anything as dramatic from Edge this weekend. There was a genuine ex-indy car there with it's owner (along with an ex-driver). When that car was on the track, it was like having a safety car out. No one could pass for several laps at parade lap speeds. Driver was not responding to black flags (or red ones BTW). It was a disaster for that run group. The icing on the cake was the final session on Sunday where the driver looped it coming out of the pits. We also had who I swear to be the famous driver from MVP two year ago out there in a red Z06.

Tip-off - when the event coordinator says "we're going to have some really fast open wheel cars on the track today, check your mirrors"....it means the opposite.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Martin keep me posted on this one :-)
You know it, we'll need a 4some for the semi-trailer so we'll need only 2 more folks.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

So how would you guys rank the COTA organizers....MVP, Chin, PCA, and BMW CCA?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:55 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Almost nobody does back to back days besides a weekend, but back to back weekends are easy. It is also easy to round up 6 or more people and rent out all of TWS. Drive up there after COTA and do that. It is a great and fun track for fast cars like the RS. The other local one is MSRH, but it is private to a degree. We would have to try to negotiate that. There are plenty of us here that can help receive and ship your car back while you fly.
How far is TWS from COTA? Is there a shop out there than can handle the storage and transport locally out there?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

COTA > TWS is just over 100 miles. FWIW I drive at both tracks and actually prefer TWS, it is just as fast and has some good technical bits.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
PCA and BMW are club races that are subsidizing it with a DE. Way too many cars on track. Club Races come first. DE is second fiddle and gets their run times stepped on to make sure the club races occur. The club races could not occur without the DE cash. Just my observation. I will say BMW allowed passing anywhere with a point, so running in white (their top group for non-instructors), I was able to get in some nice clean laps. MVP was well done. Only 35 cars per group which is theoretical perfect at 10/mile of track. Some padded resumes which were horrible. I have only run Chin once in Texas. They do seem to put more effort into verifying what run group is correct for you. I am running again with them at TWS in Aug, so I can get another data point. East Coast folks swear by them like Notorious BIG. Chin looks like they are going to run 40-45 cars. All I can say is get to grid first or you could be fighting traffic. If Mark P was able to vet drivers better, I would put my money on his events due to the low car count. His was also 3 days which was nice.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

ive done multiple events with all those. In the SE there is no question Chin is the best. It costs more but its a better experience. Especially if you want clean laps. MVP doesnt truly have an advanced group as as far as I can tell. I have done two events with them and neither has allowed full track passing in the advanced group. Also advanced groups arent advanced if trains form. Chin even lets their intermediate grp pass anywhere on track. That promotes learning but it's safe because they have thoroughly checked your credentials before the event started. Which makes everybody know who/what they are on track with. Chin normal format is three run groups: red advanced, blue intermediate, green novice. Thirty minute sessions. Red then blue then green then do it all over again. Its simple and it works. He is going to have to alter the format to 4 run grps at COTA due to limitations on run grp sizes and economics.

If the jan/feb chin event comes together is anybody interested in a 2 day at TWS?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

^^^^ YES with COTA. TEXAS minication
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

How far is TWS from COTA? Is there a shop out there than can handle the storage and transport locally out there?
You can check with Ashton at Elite Racing Development. They were recommended to me by GMG Motorsports and ShakeNBake uses them for prepping his RS. They are located in Austin.

http://www.eliteracingdevelopment.com/
Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
^^^^ YES with COTA. TEXAS minication
Yep...TWS is not going to be an option much longer so we need to get it while we can. In the past, VonSchmidt has pulled together events there for smallish groups so maybe we can get him interested again.
Keep an eye on the chin webpage and if I hear something I will post it. It will sell out fast.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Yep...TWS is not going to be an option much longer so we need to get it while we can. In the past, VonSchmidt has pulled together events there for smallish groups so maybe we can get him interested again.
Keep an eye on the chin webpage and if I hear something I will post it. It will sell out fast.
Damn I wasn't going to go to COTA in 2015 but if the Left Coast boys come I might have to make an exception. TWS is mandatory but let's leave the SNOW behind next year.

Peter
Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

^ If you really have a gt3 you have to bring it lol
I may bring a C4 for the snow

Quick Reply: Who is at COTA this weekend