Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Yup, love the AMG GT but I may have to settle for a C 63 AMG Coupe again.
The current 2014 has mega huge leg and head room and is pretty capable on the track!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The current 2014 has mega huge leg and head room and is pretty capable on the track!
Nah get the GLA 45 AMG nothing like a Hot Hatch on track to get peoples attention and it's not a heavy pig like the C63

Peter
Old 11-10-2014, 10:24 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, my C63 Black Series has an absurd amount of head room.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Nah get the GLA 45 AMG nothing like a Hot Hatch on track to get peoples attention and it's not a heavy pig like the C63
The C63 BS is a bit more capable, though.

To be honest, the "regular" C63 is a beast in its own right. But if you don't mind the cost, the C63 Black Series holds a piece of my heart.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I keep looking for C63 coupes used.
Love the 6.2 L within silly leg room!

Black series is worth is but I have to see about fitting into AMG GT first.

Farmer I don't do 4 Cyl. Only 6 in line BMW or flat six.
But my heart goes to V8 V10 ( Audi) or V12..
Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

I guess big boys need big motors

Peter
Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to the AMG GT (despite my opinions on some of the styling). I'll get the Black Series when it comes out in ~2019, for sure. Until then, I've been toying with the idea of a second model year (2017) one for daily driving hooniganism.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

There are some absurdly awesome deals on used C63 AMG Coupes...
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I guess big boys need big motors

Peter
I just love MB have good relation with Palm Beach MB and nothing sounds better than AMG

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to the AMG GT (despite my opinions on some of the styling). I'll get the Black Series when it comes out in ~2019, for sure. Until then, I've been toying with the idea of a second model year (2017) one for daily driving hooniganism.
If I fit I'll have to get the S.

There are some absurdly awesome deals on used C63 AMG Coupes...
Soo much car for the money. The 6.2 will go down in history as one of the top 5 best V8's NA CPO unlimited milage warrant.. Wifey hates the CL550 because it has a wood steering wheel.. Loves the c63 coupe. Happy wife happy life....

The new ones will make stupid power with the 4l V8 TT and will sound Awesome as well
Old 11-11-2014, 01:29 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the edition 507 sedan (which for some funny reason is ligher than the coupe). This thing hauls ***. I really, really wish it came in a manual and this would be my forever sedan. The power that it makes, the torque, the pull, it is awesome.

What is funnier it that the car starts to feel a bit numb after driving it for a while and then I drive the gt3 hard for a day and the c63 becomes nimble again, meaning I can pick up the queues from the numb steering based on the g forces my body experiences - this lasts for a few days and then I forget the translation again. But other than this and the absolute ****tiest transmission for downshifting into a corner (in manual mode), the c63 507 sedan is one of the best cars I have ever owned.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:39 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

I just love MB have good relation with Palm Beach MB and nothing sounds better than AMG

Soo much car for the money. The 6.2 will go down in history as one of the top 5 best V8's NA CPO unlimited milage warrant..
Agreed. In fact, I doubt we'll ever encounter something quite like the M156/M159 engine again (now that we're all shifting towards turbocharging for fuel economy and emissions).

Originally Posted by m5trol
I have the edition 507 sedan (which for some funny reason is ligher than the coupe). This thing hauls ***. I really, really wish it came in a manual and this would be my forever sedan. The power that it makes, the torque, the pull, it is awesome.

What is funnier it that the car starts to feel a bit numb after driving it for a while and then I drive the gt3 hard for a day and the c63 becomes nimble again, meaning I can pick up the queues from the numb steering based on the g forces my body experiences - this lasts for a few days and then I forget the translation again. But other than this and the absolute ****tiest transmission for downshifting into a corner (in manual mode), the c63 507 sedan is one of the best cars I have ever owned.
Could not agree more.

Do you have the panoramic moonroof in your sedan? If not, that would explain the extra weight of the coupe. Sadly, MBUSA only certified the Coupe with Pano Roof for crash tests, etc. As such, we aren't able to not get the pano roof version in the US... which was a bit annoying for the Black Series version. Still, it's a killer car.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. In fact, I doubt we'll ever encounter something quite like the M156/M159 engine again (now that we're all shifting towards turbocharging for fuel economy and emissions).

Could not agree more.

Do you have the panoramic moonroof in your sedan? If not, that would explain the extra weight of the coupe. Sadly, MBUSA only certified the Coupe with Pano Roof for crash tests, etc. As such, we aren't able to not get the pano roof version in the US... which was a bit annoying for the Black Series version. Still, it's a killer car.
Right, sedans don't have pano roofs. If I decide to keep the c63 beyond the lease end, I would replace the transmission shaft with carbon, replace intake with sls version, replace aero with carbon, replace battery with lithium ion and drive around without the extra wheel in the trunk. I imagine, I can get at least 200 to 250 pounds off.

On the other side, I could get that weight savings also by going to sls gt and get a much, much better transmission bolted on to the same engine. The price difference is not that much more than the final purchase price plus all the work done (okay maybe another 50k more in about 2 years when my lease expires).

Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I thought you were getting the 991 GT3RS for the track? Or the Vette but you and I probably won't fit in the Vette...I tried to but couldn't even get my human right leg in the Vette.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I thought you were getting the 991 GT3RS for the track? Or the Vette but you and I probably won't fit in the Vette...I tried to but couldn't even get my human right leg in the Vette.
I am but not sure if flappy pedal warp speed machine is a keeper.
If I'm going flappy pedal there are so many mega HP mega HP cars...
Old 12-07-2014, 08:01 AM
lmcgrew79
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda late to the party, but i traded my e92 M3 in for a Z28 2 weeks ago. My main track car has been a 2008 viper with the acr 2 piece brakes/aero, mcs suspension and 550 hp to the rear wheels. I wasnt even planning on this Z/28 until last week i stopped by my local dealer to schedule an appointment for my tow rig, and they ended up having this used z/28 with 300 miles on it. I had read most of the car mag reviews but never really considered it until i seen it sitting there. Its pretty striking in person. Once i got it my buddy called to see if i wanted to hit vir once more before the winter set in, so i drove it every day to rack up 1100 miles changed the oil to 15/50 flushed the brake fluid and drove it 5 hrs to VIR to finish the breakin miles.

Being i was at vir 2 weeks before this car on the grand course in my viper i figured it would be a good comparison. We only schedule 1 day at the track and the high temp for the day was 50. Best part was i didnt have student and wasnt rushed to get into there car! I worked thru the 4 sessions advancing to the race mode ptm by the 3rd session. First initial impression was how high i was sitting even though i had the seat lowered as low as it goes, i got over that after the first session. The heel toe technique took me till the end of the 2nd session to get down smoothly, there is a pretty decent gap between the stop and go pedals but i have large feet size 12 which helped, so after a little work it was fine, i had to used the side foot method, not "heel toe". By the 3/4th sessions i was pushing a bit harder, the brakes are incredible, the initial bite isnt what im used to on the viper/hawk dtc70's but every time to think you broke later than you should have,you realized you could have broke even later. The car just scrubs so much speed in such a short amount of time. It dont seem right for its weight. The only place i really noticed the weight is the quick switch backs, their is virtually no body roll, it transitions a bit slower than lets say the viper on pirellis slicks. The suspension feels superb, the car always feels planted and stable, even drilling the curbing at vir the car always stayed on track. The car turns in very well, you can even get a bit of oversteer on entry if really pushing it to hard, will push a little mid corner if carrying to much speed, and has a nice little slip on exit. Very fun to drive, im looking forward to 2015 and a lot more track events with it. The 5/100k warranty is insane for a track car. The car and driver times at VIR are maybe not possible to get in an hpde, these guys have the track for 3 days, and their only objective is to get fast lap times. With moving chicanes you never know when your gonna get to try for a "fast lap" and if you cant do it in the first 3 laps on your tires your not gonna get a fastest lap. I ran a 2:57 with a theoretical best of a 2:54 according to AIM, that will def drop, one day for me isnt enought time to figure out the car entirely, im not a pro. In my viper i ran a 2:50 flat with 15 degree warmer temps, pirellis slicks and i have over 70 days in that car. Oil temps was no problem and coolant peaked at 2:17 although it was cold, so ill see how it does next year, i imagine the 15w50 and coolant mixtures will make a huge difference in oil temps, they do im my e46 m3 and my viper.

All in all GM did a wonderful job with this car, being its a Camaro. I dont think its gonna be the fasted hpde car out there, but well driven it will be in the top 3/4. On top of that its incredibly fun to drive.

I forgot to add, all day i had a passenger as well, i weighed the car full of fuel and it was 3860. So with myself and passenger we was pushing 4300lbs!

Viper Lap

Last edited by lmcgrew79; 12-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading