Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Performance Upgrade Question: LWFW and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Performance Upgrade Question: LWFW and Exhaust

Hey guys, so I've now put about 800 miles on my new to me gt3 and I love it. Of course, I can't leave my cars alone and I've been thinking about what to do to this beast to make it just a little bit better, according to how I drive and what I value.

One thing I really miss about my 996 gt3 is just how "snappy" and eager the engine felt. By comparison, the 997 feels a little slow and lethargic, which I attribute to the heavy dual mass flywheel and the fact that my 996 was upgraded with the RS lwfw and clutch.

So, here are my questions:

1) Does the 997 gt3 platform respond just as well to this upgrade? I've seen folks on here say its very worthwhile, but others I respect, like Mooty, say he couldn't feel the difference. That was certainly not the case in my 996...the change was dramatic and made first and second gear literally fly by! What is the verdict on this mod for the non-rs cars?

2) What is the consensus on the proper pulley if I go with the 4.0 lwfw/clutch kit? Evoms? OEM 4.0 pulley, something else?

3) Exhaust/headers: I LOOOOOVVVEEEE the sound of the sharky bypass. Its great. But, I don't think they claim any real hp/torque increase, which is fine with me based on the awesome sound and weight reduction from the rear. However, it would be nice to gain a little power and torque, and loose some additioanl weight, IF, AND THIS IS A BIG IF, I don't lose any torque anywhere in the rpm band. I experimented with disconnecting the side muffler exhaust valve plug, and I hated it because although it sounded great, there was unquestionably a loss of low end/mid range torque. Coming from a modded 996 turbo for the past 7 years, I don't want to give up any torque, anywhere. Are there any systems out there that are guaranteed to add hp and torque throughtout the power band without making the car insanely loud? Seems these cars are more sensitive than the 996 cars to backpressure.

I had the WC gmg cans on my old 996 gt3 with fabspeed headers and loved it, but it was just on the verge of being too loud for me on the street (but not quite), if that provides a reference point for my tolerance level.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Evolved Rs
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

A few members here have tested the M&M system and have proven gains. If you'd like, you could give my car a try.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Headers, look no further:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...s-unicorn.html

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrade Question: LWFW and Exhaust