Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Is modding a " disease " ?
YES
64.58%
NO
6.25%
MAYBE
8.33%
IT GIVES ME SOMETHING TO DO IN MY CAR
20.83%
I'M IN DENIAL
14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Is modding a " disease " ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

women are not disease, they are a plague.
wine, meh. too sour. add sugar to it, better. try it.k don't lie
3 cup of sugar to any whine will make it better
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
why stop, if on end is good two must be better. when u don't, call me, I pay u 10 cents on the buck
LMAO!

If it involves a therapy session it will be money well spent.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We've found our modding king... Mooty for president!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
although i have swapped one disease for another..
hi-fi.
when i conclude that, i will probably move on to another, maybe wines or women.
There is no conclusion to that one either! Especially with analog and getting quality media. Wine is just as bad. Ask my buddy who has 3k bottles at home and another 5k+ in cool storage. Women. Well as long as they come with their own bank account or money supply.

I selected the "gives me something to do" option. I like to mod but stuff I like to do is as much about tweaking the car to personalize it to my style. I'm done for now, it's the way I want it. $ is now going into track time, tires, and coaching.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
although i have swapped one disease for another..
hi-fi.
when i conclude that, i will probably move on to another, maybe wines or women.
Wine for sure.

Originally Posted by mooty
women are not disease, they are a plague.
wine, meh. too sour. add sugar to it, better. try it.k don't lie
3 cup of sugar to any whine will make it better
You stick to Porsches.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
There is no conclusion to that one either! Especially with analog and getting quality media. Wine is just as bad. Ask my buddy who has 3k bottles at home and another 5k+ in cool storage. Women. Well as long as they come with their own bank account or money supply.

I selected the "gives me something to do" option. I like to mod but stuff I like to do is as much about tweaking the car to personalize it to my style. I'm done for now, it's the way I want it. $ is now going into track time, tires, and coaching.
Its an essential evil, Its the unfinished half asses job of the manufacturer that claims to have built a "track car".

I would like nothing more and buy a track ready car out of the showroom. With warranty of course. Nothing fun about modding, I drop off car, pick it up and write check.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

as u visit Nippon, b sure to chk vinyl. I think 99% of the best recorded jazz vinyls are in Japanese hands!

have up payed with micro seki with koetsu?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Japanese are insane with jazz and hifi. You will find dozens of high stores in Tokyo that sell brands you only see in magazines or some guy sells out of his house here in states. And they carry many many brands. It's nuts and a real audiophile playground. I love just browsing and listening to the equipment. Regarding vinyl you can get the best there, thing about japanese they cherished their records so the condition is impeccable. But you pay the price. I like the japanese maket issues from the 80s of blue notes. They mastered from original tapes and pressed to a very high quality and price is good and not afraid to play them. A couple visits ago I picked up a suitcase full. Lol. Never played a koetsu, seen in a glass box in Tokyo once. Micro seki are very high quality tt. I sold lots of my hifi to keep simple, my turntable is a michell gyrodec that is modded to a high level with a custom tonearm I'm using a Benz cart right now as I like the detailed but warm sound. I sometimes play an ortofon that is much more detailed but not as warm. It's better for rock music.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

benz are nice, smooth warm sound, especially slr and lps.
mooty has owned koetsu before - rosewood fanboi for sure!
the guy who designed the micro-seiki is now involved in a new company called TECHDAS.
their air force 1 tt is a work of art....i want one
they have just released a cheaper (circa $35k) af-2 which retains the vacuum hold-down but the chassis is less elaborate. they are imported into the states by bob graham, so they come equipped with his tonearm.
i would love to travel to japan one day and check out the scene.
also, the munich show is improving every year...
we have plenty of audio crazies here too!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh Jimmy

All expensive hobbies but one of them talks back!!!
;-)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, yes.....so, so true!
the most expensive one gives you real feedback.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
DRPM, you have a dream stable...
Thanks
I confess, I'm fully addicted

Thankfully the wifey fully supports it...thus no "mods" required in that dept ;-)

My hearing sucks (maybe too much driving loud cars) so hifi would be a waste on me!

Wine sounds / tastes good to me....pls no sugar MOOTY!

Good luck with your 4.2 mod!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Japanese are insane with jazz and hifi. You will find dozens of high stores in Tokyo that sell brands you only see in magazines or some guy sells out of his house here in states. And they carry many many brands. It's nuts and a real audiophile playground. I love just browsing and listening to the equipment. Regarding vinyl you can get the best there, thing about japanese they cherished their records so the condition is impeccable. But you pay the price. I like the japanese maket issues from the 80s of blue notes. They mastered from original tapes and pressed to a very high quality and price is good and not afraid to play them. A couple visits ago I picked up a suitcase full. Lol. Never played a koetsu, seen in a glass box in Tokyo once. Micro seki are very high quality tt. I sold lots of my hifi to keep simple, my turntable is a michell gyrodec that is modded to a high level with a custom tonearm I'm using a Benz cart right now as I like the detailed but warm sound. I sometimes play an ortofon that is much more detailed but not as warm. It's better for rock music.
u me and Aussie shall never b in same room together, else we all go broke. to tell u how old I am, I was using Benz micro mc1 way back, and monster cable alpha genesis 1000. Benz is soft and plush yet not bloated... concentrate the cartridge not the woman.....
ortophon... not for me...

great another blue note sucker....

gyrodek, cool and simple but I beat u... I'm on apple iPhone 4s mp3 lol....

days of fiddling around twenty cables a
six tone arms four TT And having the wife run vinyls thru nitty gritty or voi cleansers are over....
Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Aussie: if you ever make to tokyo let me know I will let you know where to go for vinyl and audiophile addiction there are literally blocks where you can walk to a store front go up 6 floors see a bunch of craziness, walk down, next door, same thing, next door, 6 floors of vinyl organized by genre, etc. wife goes to omatesando, daikanyama, and ginza for shopping and I go to Akihabara and ochnamizu, and the disc union in shinjuku and that can't remember the name hidden 5th floor shop with the crazy owner that speaks great English...and yeah mooty my vpi is sitting in my garage right now and have about 30 lps I got months ago that still need cleaning and a listen... I've cooled it on the audio thing. Now I just listen to my simple setup in my non acoustic echoey room.

See all these damn hobbies even wife (I live in la!) can be modded. Mod addiction? Joan rivers. Hahhaha sorry for that visual
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

non acoustic echo room...
don't get me started on tube traps lol
Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twosherpaz
I thought I'd learned a lesson with the GTR but apparently not. 3.9L build on the .1 GT3.
T saw your 3.9 at SW a couple days before you came to pick it up! I see you did a few other things on it as well I trust you are enjoying the whole package?

Quick Reply: Is modding a " disease " ?