Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Welded or Pinned coolant pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welded or Pinned coolant pipes

Looking for opinions on the ROI on getting the Coolant Pipes pinned or welded.

Setting aside the obvious reason for getting it done, to avoid a disaster on the track or road. Damage to other drivers; responsible thing to do if you put it on a track.

:::::::

If you are looking at buying a GT3, a car that has had it done you can probably assume it was a track guy right?

If it has not been done you should assume that you will need to have it done at some point correct? Unless you have a garage queen or drive on Sat to cars and coffee.... Which leads me back to item 1. If welded does that detract from the cars value because you begin to assume the car was used training.

Is there a higher premium you would pay for a car having this done already assuming DME was all acceptable, no wrecks etc. No way to know really if it is done unless you disclose it or get in there to investigate.

It's about a 3-4K job to have welded.. Other than the above reason's should you assume that is money never recovered. More of an insurance premium rather than an investment.

Having welded pipes done right now.. Just wanted to bounce some of these ideas on the knowledge base here. I will probably move into 991GT3 so debating the implication on having this done is all... Could never master the Heal Toe with size 14 shoes.. If you don't have a big foot you wouldn't understand.... Never go after 1st year production... My own silly rule I guess.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

This is a maintenance item on these cars and the parts will eventually fail. There are lots of turbos that use the same design that were not tracked that have had this issue. Its just a matter of time due to the epoxy used. According to Sharkwerks they have also seen this with .2 cars.

Welding is probably a bit more expensive due to time/labor. The debate will rage on with pin vs weld, both are acceptable methods.

Your price estimates are about right with welding usually closer to $4k (at least in SoCal when I've priced it out), I'm having mine welded now, but it's a bit more $ as I'm replacing all rubber while engine is out, along with a few other items as preventative as my car has 35k miles. Only a few k on track but for me that's where many of the miles will be going forward.

So to your original question on ROI? If I were buying a car NOW I would factor in welding as a negotiation point (is that possible with the demand of these right now) or assume I need to spend that $. If I had a choice I'd choose one that had been pinned or welded over not done yet. So really its just a cost of ownership, these are not cheap cars, but when compared to their peers the running costs for how hard people beat on them is low.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Welding, pinning or change them as part of a maintenance schedule. Thought it would never happen to me but it did so last Friday, not a nice feeling to do a 360 on your own coolant on the track.

Re you question on ROI, I don't think you would get back any of the money spent doing the mod, but it would give you some comfort whilst owning the car and make it imminently more saleable should that time ever approach.
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid911
Welding, pinning or change them as part of a maintenance schedule. Thought it would never happen to me but it did so last Friday, not a nice feeling to do a 360 on your own coolant on the track.
UGH. Glad you and the other drivers were OK. I've seen coolant spins in action. Scary.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Brother.. I sure hate that for you. Thank goodness it appears there was no damage to you or anyone else.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys. Poor driver with an Exige 260 spun behind me before the marshals red flagged the session. Luckily no damage to his car, although he'd probably have to valet the seat.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine popped out in the 6TT at THill- ugly! Had 3 pieces welded on site bit still cost me >$2k for an incomplete job plus 2days out of work, trailer hitch, trailer rental, then still had to bring it to a shop afterwards because the wate-rpump began to leak on the shaft.

I haven't pinned the lines on my 3 yet, but sure would like the piece of mind this was done. I will also install LWFW-4.0 clutch of I ever get around to pulling the motor.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by aircavscout
Looking for opinions on the ROI on getting the Coolant Pipes pinned or welded.

Setting aside the obvious reason for getting it done, to avoid a disaster on the track or road. Damage to other drivers; responsible thing to do if you put it on a track.

:::::::

If you are looking at buying a GT3, a car that has had it done you can probably assume it was a track guy right?

If it has not been done you should assume that you will need to have it done at some point correct? Unless you have a garage queen or drive on Sat to cars and coffee.... Which leads me back to item 1. If welded does that detract from the cars value because you begin to assume the car was used training.

Is there a higher premium you would pay for a car having this done already assuming DME was all acceptable, no wrecks etc. No way to know really if it is done unless you disclose it or get in there to investigate.

It's about a 3-4K job to have welded.. Other than the above reason's should you assume that is money never recovered. More of an insurance premium rather than an investment.

Having welded pipes done right now.. Just wanted to bounce some of these ideas on the knowledge base here. I will probably move into 991GT3 so debating the implication on having this done is all... Could never master the Heal Toe with size 14 shoes.. If you don't have a big foot you wouldn't understand.... Never go after 1st year production... My own silly rule I guess.
ROI likely zero.
but, you cna drive in peace or crash, then fix car and do weld. probably cost even more.
$4000 should be a no brainer for a $100k car. a set of tires is $1500. think many ppl are just missing the picture here.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:01 AM
aircavscout
Instructor

Yes, no brainer agree. That's why is getting done right now.

I was more focused on the perspective of how a buyer perceives a car with it done already. Is it a highlight or a detractor.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any go pop on 997.2 GT3?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:14 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aircavscout
Yes, no brainer agree. That's why is getting done right now.

I was more focused on the perspective of how a buyer perceives a car with it done already. Is it a highlight or a detractor.
I would look at it this way, if you are known on here by others as someone who takes care of their car, then if you ever go to sell it, it will sell quickly and for fair dollar. I personally would always be willing to pay slightly more for a car or parts from a person on here that can be vouched for than from someone no one knows. Every single car when sold is different enough that there is no exact price but for me I would buy a car that was welded in a heartbeat, and would pay more, as long as I could phone the person or shop who did the welds.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I would look at it this way, if you are known on here by others as someone who takes care of their car, then if you ever go to sell it, it will sell quickly and for fair dollar. I personally would always be willing to pay slightly more for a car or parts from a person on here that can be vouched for than from someone no one knows. Every single car when sold is different enough that there is no exact price but for me I would buy a car that was welded in a heartbeat, and would pay more, as long as I could phone the person or shop who did the welds.
I agree; I think it adds value - provided that it's done properly at a reputable shop.

Vivian.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:58 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my pipes gave way on the track. No damage or injuries thankfully.
I had all of them welded after that. Now I'll never worry about it again. Nor will the next guy.
I believe this is something we all have to do our best to prevent.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has this happened to 100% of GT3's? How about 50%? If not, then you can't depend the pipes will blow, absolutely. Therefore, it shouldn't be a factor in the resale or purchase of the car.

That said, three weeks ago, my pipes blew on the way home, immediately after a session at the track. That cost $3,800 to have the pipes tig welded in, here in the Chicago area. Disappointed, but I'm surprised the engine doesn't detonate at the high rev's it sees with DE.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mm450exc
Any go pop on 997.2 GT3?
Let us know when it happens. Same ****ty design. Yours will blow ~ 5-6 yrs from now. Mike

Quick Reply: Welded or Pinned coolant pipes