Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 Time for some new rotors:)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 Time for some new rotors:)

Dear forum members,

After all the trackdays , my rotors went kaputt.
I wanted to buy Girodiscs but they were not available at that time due to some new type coating coming out.

Now I feel like I have lost the pace and don't know which rotors to go with.

It would be great if I could use the same original pads on the new rotors.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Regards,
Demir
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Just use PFC 08 pads with OEM rotors, simple and works great.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

PFC dimpled rotors... work with OEM pads too
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PFC slotted w/ PFC 08 Pads.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My rotors are kaputt as well. Will have OPC check what's up with that.

If they are chocolate I will go with PFC slotted.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Pfc or oem rotors with PFC 08 pads
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

My rears were toast, so I decided to go Brembo type 3 all around. I had a set of used Type3 I got from my shop for a really good price that i've been using with OEM rears. I picked up a lightly used set of F/R Brembo hats here for a fair price and the rotors w/ hardware were about price-equivalent to PFC and less expensive than OEM (my car is a pccb steel, so uses .2 sized brakes). Brembo type3 w/ the hats is an expensive setup, to buy in is not cheap. Once in the replacement rotors (and supposedly life span) is price competitive. Had I not gotten the hats I would have gone PFC. And now I have 2 sets of type3 fronts. LOL. Installed the rears last night. Will do fronts tonight. Using PFC 08 pads and like them a lot. In fact, when I put the Type3 in front the PFC felt even better than with the Cup front rotors I had on.

Question for PFC users: Supposedly the hats have a limited use? Is that accurate or stated in their documentation? I was told the Brembo hat/hardware design minimizes the stress/wear on the hat and they last a long time. Someone mentioned PFC may have changed their design?
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I am running the new style Girodisc 380mm slotted 72 vane wide annulus rotor that accepts all the standard pads like 0991 PFCs and 2707 Pagids including OEM. I am using PFC 08s. Excellent combo...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Finspeed's coming out with a product of their own and I'm about to test it this month. As a shop they're in the midst of a few exciting things and may not be coming to market right away, but I do hope to be able to post positive impressions when they do announce...

Last edited by CRex; 04-16-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
My rears were toast, so I decided to go Brembo type 3 all around. I had a set of used Type3 I got from my shop for a really good price that i've been using with OEM rears. I picked up a lightly used set of F/R Brembo hats here for a fair price and the rotors w/ hardware were about price-equivalent to PFC and less expensive than OEM (my car is a pccb steel, so uses .2 sized brakes). Brembo type3 w/ the hats is an expensive setup, to buy in is not cheap. Once in the replacement rotors (and supposedly life span) is price competitive. Had I not gotten the hats I would have gone PFC. And now I have 2 sets of type3 fronts. LOL. Installed the rears last night. Will do fronts tonight. Using PFC 08 pads and like them a lot. In fact, when I put the Type3 in front the PFC felt even better than with the Cup front rotors I had on.

Question for PFC users: Supposedly the hats have a limited use? Is that accurate or stated in their documentation? I was told the Brembo hat/hardware design minimizes the stress/wear on the hat and they last a long time. Someone mentioned PFC may have changed their design?
ALL hats are limited use. they all have life spans. two piece rotors are not necessarily cheaper than single non-replaceable hat designs. don't let ppl tell u replacement cost is lower bc u only need the fraction rings. run ten sets then come tell me ur actual true savings.

also, when buying TRUE full floating two piece rotors, chk it out how rotor and Rome are attached. the REAL floaters are noisy as hell. if not noisy then there's some little sponge in the connecting hardware! extra piece of little part to install and to buy.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Finspeed's coming out with a product of their own and I'm about to test the product this month.
Wow! That's interesting. Finspeed's a great company. Good on them! Hopefully they work any bugs out quickly and we all have another brake option.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
ALL hats are limited use. they all have life spans. two piece rotors are not necessarily cheaper than single non-replaceable hat designs. don't let ppl tell u replacement cost is lower bc u only need the fraction rings. run ten sets then come tell me ur actual true savings.

also, when buying TRUE full floating two piece rotors, chk it out how rotor and Rome are attached. the REAL floaters are noisy as hell. if not noisy then there's some little sponge in the connecting hardware! extra piece of little part to install and to buy.
Got it, another wear item to watch. I agree on 'cheaper' I think I said 'pricing equivalent' which in my head means 'not enough of a difference to matter and they look cool to boot and maybe last longer since even this over-braking newbie cracked front cup rotors pretty quick and wore out rear oem .2 rotors pretty quick too'

Brembos are quiet, they have springs on the inside screws every other screw to keep them quiet, they are floaters for sure as the hardware is slightly "loose". The springs come with the hardware kits for rebuild.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Weird, I have the same type 3 Brembos as you and they are noisy over uneven surfaces like brick paving etc! Only way to keep them quiet is to practice a little sensitive left foot braking.

Last edited by Liquid911; 04-16-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liquid911
Weird, I have the same type 3 Brembos as you and they are noisy over uneven surfaces like brick paving etc! Only way to keep them quiet is to practice a little sensitive left foot braking.
My car is so loud and stiff I probably don't notice it! :-) I just put the rears on mine and mounted my street wheels and tires. Need to bed them in tonight so will see if I notice any rattle. i didn't with just the fronts
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

This is true. All hats have limited life. I would say 4 rotors swaps = end of life for hat.

True again. True 2pc floating rotors are noise as ***. Sounds like car is falling apart but at track when hot, they are quiet. Adding spring hardware is only a band-aid for an application that is not being used to the way it was design/intended imo. Period.

True. I would say most 2pc suppliers rape on the ring replacement because they can. Now if you have ring replacements at $235 that includes hardware and shipping, then you are saving after only 1 rotor change.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 Time for some new rotors:)