Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

While the engine is out... .1 RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts
Exclamation While the engine is out... .1 RS

What should I replace? 997.1 RS with about 14k miles. Some track miles from former owner but no over-revs not even in the lowest zone so I'm thinking a very careful driver. RMS being fixed under CPO by local dealer.

I'm thinking coolant pipes pinned or welded IF the dealer will agree to do it. If not should I have them re-glue them?

What about the Sharkwerks pipes? Worth it or is my car too low mileage?

Water pump

Clutch/PP probably too early.

Anything else? Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

4.0 pistons/jugs
Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3DE
4.0 pistons/jugs
That would be ultra expensive no?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Definitely coolant pipes. Most of the cost involved is dropping the motor.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

If all they are doing is RMS they should only need to drop tranny, not engine. Did you confirm they are dropping engine? If only tranny and you plan to track, guard diff rebuild for sure while tranny out.

I am going to be getting my pipes welded in early summer during track break. This is what i've asked shop to inspect and/or fix in addition:

--I bought those little shark pipes, will have those installed. Shop confirmed these do leak, and break, they do not break catastrophically like the coolant housing pipes
--Replace all rubber hoses and hard to get at rubber stuff.
--New guard diff
--Inspect / replace RMS and inspect/replace FMS (as needed)
--Replace water pump
--replace clutch (I have 34k miles on mine) and inspect pressure plate, replace if needed
Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3DE
4.0 pistons/jugs
Originally Posted by Spyerx
If all they are doing is RMS they should only need to drop tranny, not engine. Did you confirm they are dropping engine? If only tranny and you plan to track, guard diff rebuild for sure while tranny out.

I am going to be getting my pipes welded in early summer during track break. This is what i've asked shop to inspect and/or fix in addition:

--I bought those little shark pipes, will have those installed. Shop confirmed these do leak, and break, they do not break catastrophically like the coolant housing pipes
--New guard diff
--Replace water pump
--replace clutch (I have 34k miles on mine) and inspect pressure plate, replace if needed
I asked them and they said engine but I'll double check to be sure. Lots to replace in terms of rubber hoses?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

--New guard diff
--Replace water pump
+1 might as well upgrade clutch kit to 4.0 as well as R&P. Just my ¢.02
Old 03-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
I asked them and they said engine but I'll double check to be sure. Lots to replace in terms of rubber hoses?
Its hard to tell by my quote but the full parts for the pipe weld plus all the gaskets and hoses is a few 100... who knows which parts these are exactly.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
+1 might as well upgrade clutch kit to 4.0 as well as R&P. Just my ¢.02
yes plan is 4.0 clutch along with the various clutch mechanics. PP is a probably honestly since it'll be apart.

Out of pocket this is a big bill, mostly labor, but will get some increased perf along with (diff, clutch maybe) plus minimize fear of blowing a pipe while on track (already running WW). But we're stewards of these cars right? :-)

And while GT3DE 4.0 comment is a little tongue in cheek... yes that is an expensive bill. But if you want the POWER!!!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Get them pinned like so:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

I'd be surprised if the water pump needs replacing that early... Other than that maybe get your 4.0 LWF/PP stuff done. If you need an LSD... that's the time also?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Honestly I wasn't planning on any performance mods at this point, budget constraints with a new kid and new business being what they are and for the next few years very few track days. I'm looking for reliability and a way to prevent what I can in case I was unfortunate enough to get a coolant hose blow off while at the track. WW is not optimal given the car is still under warranty.

Reliability-wise:
- coolant lines welded/pinned/reglued
- sharkwerks pipes
- water pump since I'm there
- rubber hoses.

Performance-wise:
- 4.0 clutch / pressure plate
- Guard LSD
- 4.0 conversion (I WISH!!!! Maybe I could kickstarter it)

Anything else?

Quick Reply: While the engine is out... .1 RS