Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Z28 vs GT3 991 Autoweek

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
No, track Vettes have been running 315 and even up to 335 on the front for years now. No bouncing, which has nothing to do with tire size, just fast.
I was thinking about public roads with ruts .
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

No, track Vettes have been running 315 and even up to 335 on the front for years now. No bouncing, which has nothing to do with tire size, just fast.
And 335 on the front is nuts. Must have bug brass ones!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Definitely some great engineering that went into the Z/28. However, just do a tire swap on the GT3 for similar rubber and I bet things would be a lot closer. Those tire compounds are a pretty serious advantage.

I'm just not into heavy front engined cars (in general) anymore, but GM does deserve some big kudos nonetheless. The suspension and brakes on that Z/28 are pretty incredible! For a 3900 pound+ car it can really boogie.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

If the Z28 can do this it makes you wonder what the next Z06 will do....I don't think Porsche will have anything in its arsenal short of a 918 to compete on the track with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I'm not sure if it was posted before, but Motortrend compared the Z to the GTR and Turbo S with Pobst driving. Z won (not really fair given the tire advantage), and the program director commented that the Z did a 7:25 in the dry at the Ring, matching their target - GT3.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Definitely some great engineering that went into the Z/28. However, just do a tire swap on the GT3 for similar rubber and I bet things would be a lot closer. Those tire compounds are a pretty serious advantage.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I'm not sure if it was posted before, but Motortrend compared the Z to the GTR and Turbo S with Pobst driving. Z won (not really fair given the tire advantage), and the program director commented that the Z did a 7:25 in the dry at the Ring, matching their target - GT3.
"Tire advantage"

So "tiring" to keep hearing this. The Porsche had a "AWD and turbo advantage" the GT-R had "AWD and turbo advantage".

They ran OE vs OE and that is that. If Porsche or Nissan wants to up their game, then they can spec different tires and tune their suspension to those tires, as Chevy chose to do.

Purpose built cars are tuned to specific tires. Porsche will void your warranty for drivetrain failures if you are not running their N spec tires. 991 GT3 owners manual specifically states "No Slicks", so is that due to stickiness and if so then a Trofeo will void that warranty. Read your owners manual and ask your dealership Service Manager.

Enough with the excuses and unfairness claims. Sheesh. The outcome is what it is.

Last edited by savyboy; 03-30-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I run 275/335 tires on my car. 997 chassis allowed a lot of things to be done to outrun most other cars in corners. So when i look at 991 my concern remains the same - i do not know what can be done there to improve it from stock version. Both z28 and vette are pretty much same chassis that will let to play with LCAs if needed and/or other suspension components, the way 991 is built now - i do not know what it will let to modify without causing major issues with all the ECUs and suspension programming they did.

It all looks very similar to what audi did with R8 car, it allows both mechanic and programmer to make it fast and it looks like a huge PITA to me. Good track sport car should be mostly analog in my opinion and should be modifiable.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
"Tire advantage"

So "tiring" to keep hearing this. The Porsche had a "turbo advantage" the GT-R had "AWD and turbo advantage".

They ran OE vs OE and that is that. If Porsche or Nissan wants to up their game, then they can spec different tires and tune their suspension to those tires, as Chevy chose to do.

Purpose built cars are tuned to specific tires. Porsche will void your warranty for drivetrain failures if you are not running their N spec tires. 991 GT3 owners manual specifically states "No Slicks", so is that due to stickiness and if so then a Trofeo will void that warranty. Read your owners manual and ask your dealership Service Manager.

Enough with the excuses and unfairness claims. Sheesh. The outcome is what it is.

+1.......

No one has any quantifiable data to know if or how much faster the Trofeo's R's are. Not to mention the Camaro:

- Is several hundred lbs heavier than everything but the GT-R
- Has no AWD or RWS
- Is a manual transmission, not PDK or DSG
- More drag than the slippery 911's and GT-R

The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

There are no excuses to be had.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

So "tiring" to keep hearing this.
Hey Pete,

I see that you have an incoming Z/28. Does that make your opinion slightly biased?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

I do kinds need a new car, just crashed the RSA..
Old 03-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

+1.......

No one has any quantifiable data to know if or how much faster the Trofeo's R's are. Not to mention the Camaro:

- Has no AWD or RWS

+1.1
Old 03-30-2014, 03:28 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hey Pete,

I see that you have an incoming Z/28. Does that make your opinion slightly biased?
I think Savyboy has successfully weaned himself from a Porsche diet! There is a good video I think on the GT3 board comparing Z28 stock vs 14 GTR stock and the Z won. Faster even around the test course than the Nissan and loads more fun.
J
Old 03-30-2014, 03:35 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hey Pete,

My friend, I know you're giving me a friendly poke and I welcome the "harassment"

In seriousness, I've certainly considered the big picture and experienced Porsche's finest first-hand. I simply present facts and opinionate with a minimum of unsupported conjecture. There is no doubt that I've put my money where my mouth is and that's never been secret.

So, I'd say, yes, my opinion is biased by experience and a reasoned consideration of the current state of track car affairs

Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

+1.......

- Has no AWD or RWS

That is a great follow-up and amplification of my original points. Thanks!

I'm going to not post here for a while so as to let others carry the torch or extinguish it, as the case may be.

It's a new year and things are very, very different then they were just a short time ago. That's fine, indeed, great! As car-folks we are all winners for that
Old 03-30-2014, 04:07 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

That is a great follow-up and amplification of my original points. Thanks!

I'm going to not post here for a while so as to let others carry the torch or extinguish it, as the case may be.

It's a new year and things are very, very different then they were just a short time ago. That's fine, indeed, great! As car-folks we are all winners for that
Actually I wish you would post one more time Pete. I know you had the 2RS in the picture, and did you also have a 4.0? That would certainly qualify you as a fanboy. It also qualifies you to opine on all things GT. What changed your mind so drastically? Did you lose a lot of money on one of these or did Porsche not support your track ventures adequately? I'd love to know...
Jim

Quick Reply: Z28 vs GT3 991 Autoweek