Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thunder(and rain)hill: 3/29-30 PCA GGR

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
First time out in the new car. Great! Only... pouring rain and I only have slicks. Ugh! The wait was killing me.

I only got out for the final 2 sessions yesterday. Disappointed that I was so slow to get out on track, as I really didn't see much of my pals. I did manage to chase down the Gulf Cup BSR.

Planning on being more on top of it today. Hope to get the cool suit box plumbed and working today. Even in mild temperatures, driving a 7 Cup is almost like sitting in a sauna. Yikes! Can't imagine how hot it gets inside this car during the sweltering heat of high summer in the Central Valley.

The car is quite a paradox! It is both simultaneously easy to drive and yet very difficult to drive. I had no problem taxiing the car in the paddock, out to the hot pit lane and then back into the paddock. I never stalled the car. However, I only drove it for 2 sessions. I never spun the car, and I only locked up the brakes once (a little too hard on the pedal going into T3), but that didn't even upset the car and the only way I knew I locked up was the tire smoke wafting into the cabin.

I am well and truly hooked! I'm getting goosebumps just typing this, as I think about what today will bring!
Nice, looking forward to seeing the Cup at Buttonwillow in May. Just have the cool suit ready to go or you might pass out from the heat.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Despite the rain sounds like all had a great time. USC and I went out to play with the BMWCCA at Chuckwalla. Saturday weather was perfect. But we didn't have rain, Sunday we had a little bit of a dust storm. Like couldn't see end of straight at speed. Last run of Sunday wind stopped and was best session all weekend.

Look at background, that was blue an hour before.

I had a great view most of the day of USC's huge wing.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^. Silver bullet and purple monster w big cape.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

There was another GT3 there (I think he's here on RL) and a few other porsches. I will say this, showing up at a BWM event with an RS is like putting a target on your back. I should have put a big one on my rear window.
I'm not a fast driver, several of the BMW drivers are very fast, they put me in "A" which is the advanced group, I should have been in intermediate or low-intermediate. They had a lot of students so we all got bumped so they could make room for the first time drivers. Fittingly, USC was put in "B" group because of the size of his wing LOL. They did move him after the first session to "A"
There were a few very fast drivers I consistently pointed by (race e36, m coupe, a couple of USCs friends, the other GT3, USC!), Chuckwalla has a lot of turns so momentum cars are very fast there, but I got to pass a lot of BMWs this weekend. That was fun. V8 M3 sound great at full song. GT3 w/ side deletes sound BETTER! (at least according to my wife who watched on Sunday)

The BMW crew was very cool, great instructors and a well run event. They gave USC and I 911 drivers for instructors, they were there helping out due to the big student turnout. Would definitely do another one with BMWCCA OC.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kormaster
^. Silver bullet and purple monster w big cape.
When are you gonna come out and play? Is the build almost done?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Yes it is done. Let me draft behind ur wing.

Come out to test day brp April 4th. Track is hot 9-5 no sessions.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Yes it is done. Let me draft behind ur wing.

Come out to test day brp April 4th. Track is hot 9-5 no sessions.
Nice, can't wait to see your track car. I can't make it on such short notice. Are you going to the PCA SD event at Chuckwalla on May 3/4 and/or the PCA GGR event at BRP on May 10/11?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
There was another GT3 there (I think he's here on RL) ..
Must be me

I was there with my red 996 GT3. Had a great time as well and some exciting moment blowing up a tire going at the end of the front straight (turn 16/17). Footage of the tire going out at the end of the video below for your viewing pleasure...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

WOW. I was wondering what happened during the session since you parked near the corner station after. Great save. You made it look almost uneventful.

Any idea what caused that?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. I was wondering what happened during the session since you parked near the corner station after. Great save. You made it look almost uneventful.

Any idea what caused that?
I've been fighting with that wheel since I mounted that set of tire. It's not holding pressure under heavy load. Sometime it comes back and the pressure is as low as 16, sometime I come back and it's fine ~32-34. Bottom line, I think the pressure got too low and this caused the tire to break the bead and jump the rim!

These are 3-pieces rims so I think it's time to rebuild them and replace whatever seal they have joining the pieces. That's all I can think of. Tried replacing the valve stem, didn't help. Before this event, I had the tire dismounted and re-mounted to see if that would fix it. It didn't. I was keeping an eye on it but the sessions were long and it happened toward the end.

Next move... rebuild all 4 wheels and see if the problem goes away.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Great save there. Interesting where you are shifting to exit out on higher rpm on turn 11-12. Your heel-toe blip is excellent my friend!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Nice, can't wait to see your track car. I can't make it on such short notice. Are you going to the PCA SD event at Chuckwalla on May 3/4 and/or the PCA GGR event at BRP on May 10/11?
Mother's Day would be difficult. Family obligations. Not sure how I will get out of that. Pca sdr 3/4th - yes. We need to do thill soon. Non rainy day would be nice
Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Mother's Day would be difficult. Family obligations. Not sure how I will get out of that. Pca sdr 3/4th - yes. We need to do thill soon. Non rainy day would be nice
Let's do it man....Laguna Seca on June 28/29 with POC and then Thill on July 12/13.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

There was another GT3 there (I think he's here on RL) and a few other porsches. I will say this, showing up at a BWM event with an RS is like putting a target on your back. I should have put a big one on my rear window.
I'm not a fast driver, several of the BMW drivers are very fast, they put me in "A" which is the advanced group, I should have been in intermediate or low-intermediate. They had a lot of students so we all got bumped so they could make room for the first time drivers. Fittingly, USC was put in "B" group because of the size of his wing LOL. They did move him after the first session to "A"
There were a few very fast drivers I consistently pointed by (race e36, m coupe, a couple of USCs friends, the other GT3, USC!), Chuckwalla has a lot of turns so momentum cars are very fast there, but I got to pass a lot of BMWs this weekend. That was fun. V8 M3 sound great at full song. GT3 w/ side deletes sound BETTER! (at least according to my wife who watched on Sunday)

The BMW crew was very cool, great instructors and a well run event. They gave USC and I 911 drivers for instructors, they were there helping out due to the big student turnout. Would definitely do another one with BMWCCA OC.
did I not tell u I have akropovich with side delete? nirvana. it's going to SoCal as we speak
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
did I not tell u I have akropovich with side delete? nirvana. it's going to SoCal as we speak
Mooty is like Amazon for GT3's.

Quick Reply: Thunder(and rain)hill: 3/29-30 PCA GGR