Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Over revs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:02 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Over revs

I've looked at many topics discussing over revs on forums and I'm wondering how valid they are, and if people are taking them too seriously for what they are.

I came across a car on Rennlist that was tracked very extensively. The owner competed with the car and even had a trailer to take it from event to event. They eventually sold it to a dealership. I came across the very same car with very particular modifications done to it, and it couldn't have been mistaken for any other car. So I asked the dealership to send me the over rev report and it had less than 200 Range 1 over revs. I mean this car had 20,000km or so, and it was a pure track car. It was not driven on the street and had that few over revs. Clearly if anything, this would be a prime example of a car to avoid and the rev report made it seem like the car was babied the whole time.

On the other hand, I saw an over rev report from an owner closing in on 60. Plenty of experience, very smooth driver (lack of smooth inputs is what dictates the abuse the car has taken), and his car had over 10,000 Range 1 over revs. None in the last 50 hours of operation. Roughly same kilometres. Well known in the community, others backed him up saying if they would buy a car off someone it would be him. Complete faith in the car itself, and the manner to which it was driven. I'm hearing the Turbo/GT2 show over revs into stage 1 and 2 just from bouncing into the redline.

Do you guys think they are significant? I mean if we're looking at over revs in the 1, 2, or 3 range does it even matter that the engine went 400rpm past the redline? Particularly if it was 50+ operating hours prior to the report? How do you feel about 10,000+ ignitions in stage 1/2 if they were more than 50 hours prior?

Which of the two cars above would you prefer to buy? If the car has spent a total of half a minute past redline, but it was more than 50 operating hours ago, does it matter to any of you?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And furthermore, if the over revs occurred more than 50 operating hours ago, the warranty is not void in any way should engine damage occur. Assuming you have over a year of factory warranty left, then is there anything to be concerned about? Porsche would cover it should anything break.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on the price differential. I personally prefer my car to come set up for the track and would gravitate towards that.

I know some folks worry about over rev counts but if it's over 50 hours and less than range 3 it should be fine. The motor is supposed to be "bulletproof" so unless it was money shifted badly I doubt there would be any damage.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Overrevs are embedded into you ecu...they are only as true as the seller is honest
Old 03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My GT2 has 3800 miles on it. Never tracked and never a single bad downshift but I've bounced the rev limiter 3 or 4 times accidentally on upshifts (comes real quick through second gear). I've recorded 1, 2 and small number of 3's just off of those brief bounces. I don't give it a second thought and I know that turbo motor is designed to handle far more abuse without any harm than a bounce off the factory limiter. Additionally, it had some 1, 2, and a small number of 3's when I bought it at 2500 miles and Porsche CPO'd it without batting an eye.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Didn't think you could have over revs on up shifts? Thought the rev limiter prevented that?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One would think. I have observed that Porsche seems to handle the over revs a little differently with each model. Mine is bone stock.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

You can even get over revs in a PDK car on up shifts.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Reid55
My GT2 has 3800 miles on it. Never tracked and never a single bad downshift but I've bounced the rev limiter 3 or 4 times accidentally on upshifts (comes real quick through second gear). I've recorded 1, 2 and small number of 3's just off of those brief bounces. I don't give it a second thought and I know that turbo motor is designed to handle far more abuse without any harm than a bounce off the factory limiter. Additionally, it had some 1, 2, and a small number of 3's when I bought it at 2500 miles and Porsche CPO'd it without batting an eye.
Yep...this topic has been beat to death in the TT forum...apparently upshifts in the lower gears (1 and 2 for sure) against the rev limiter (in manual tranny) trigger level 1 and sometimes level 2. Apparently the DME is counting "spikes" or millisecond triggers or instantaneous RPM...

As you said...no worries!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Didn't think you could have over revs on up shifts? Thought the rev limiter prevented that?
I think he means hitting the rev limiter in 2nd just before an upshift to third.

Quick Reply: Over revs