Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trade a GT2 for a GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:01 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
some say they really enjoy the Linear powerband of the GT3 when above 4500rpm....
Do they also enjoy what's below 4500 rpm?....
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Trade for the weekend! Than you will know for sure.Its like this . Do I prefer blondes or brunettes?Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Do they also enjoy what's below 4500 rpm?....
Hell no! lol. The power is that of a rental car below 4500.

I will try to add a GT2 to my fleet at some point as I really like them. But it would never be a replacement to my GT3. Especially where the next generation of Porsche will be all turbo..
Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Sladep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, for all the reasons stated above. I won'the
be redundant, but agree with every point that supports keeping the 2.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Trade for the weekend! Than you will know for sure.Its like this . Do I prefer blondes or brunettes?Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder.
Take a GT2 to Mosport for a weekend, it will feel like you are driving a Rocket!
This is footage from One session in the (advanced/solo/red, not sure what it's called) group,
no editing, didn't even straighten the footage.
Above 200 kph it feels like another Turbo just kicked in!

https://vimeo.com/97745471

#savethestick
Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

really enjoy GT3's, but GT2's just do most of it better...
one does with a little more panache, one does it with more progress and aggression..
Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had to watch the *** end of a GT2 go up the hill under the Corvette bridge at RA, their torque is truly impressive. Still, my 997.1 GT3 gave as good as it got.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gonzogonzilla
Having had to watch the *** end of a GT2 go up the hill under the Corvette bridge at RA, their torque is truly impressive. Still, my 997.1 GT3 gave as good as it got.
I shifts into 6th before the start/finish line, and hit over 170mph before the first brake marker at T1. GT3 might as well be a 993 C2 going up the hill vs. GT2, with maybe 15, 20 car lengths lost just on the front straight alone. You can ask Ruther how hard it goes, even on Super Sports.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I shifts into 6th before the start/finish line, and hit over 170mph before the first brake marker at T1. GT3 might as well be a 993 C2 going up the hill vs. GT2, with maybe 15, 20 car lengths lost just on the front straight alone. You can ask Ruther how hard it goes, even on Super Sports.
Bull****.
Granted a GT2 is fast but 170 on the front straight... Particularly on street tires in a street car!

To OP. This is a valid delema for the privileged. I've never had the pleasure of driving a GT2 but with the points others that have say it sounds like the bottom line is it'll be personal preference.

IMO they are currently at equal value.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 007DT
Bull****.
Granted a GT2 is fast but 170 on the front straight... Particularly on street tires in a street car!
Not bull****.

Plenty of people with Chicago PCA have seen it. The rpm spikes over the Tarmac cracks.

But it's okay. I don't have anything to prove to you so believe what you want. I've also hit 117mph in my TaG laydown kart there too. It pulls so hard you slide back in the seat going up the hill which makes you get on your tippy toes just to keep the throttle pedal engaged.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Not bull****.

Plenty of people with Chicago PCA have seen it. The rpm spikes over the Tarmac cracks.

But it's okay. I don't have anything to prove to you so believe what you want. I've also hit 117mph in my TaG laydown kart there too. It pulls so hard you slide back in the seat going up the hill which makes you get on your tippy toes just to keep the throttle pedal engaged.
Nick... My Fault. I thought you were talking about Road Atlanta..

You are referring to Road America.. I've never driven it. My Bad!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Take a GT2 to Mosport for a weekend, it will feel like you are driving a Rocket!
This is footage from One session in the (advanced/solo/red, not sure what it's called) group,
no editing, didn't even straighten the footage.
Above 200 kph it feels like another Turbo just kicked in!

https://vimeo.com/97745471

#savethestick
Watching that video makes me realize how much I love Mosport
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 AM
LooseMarble
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody mentioned durability, maintenance, complication, and/or ease of repair/service as a factor to consider. I have no experience with a GT2 but I imagine with equal track punishment (or even accumulated street miles/age) the GT3 will have less headaches and expense to keep up with over the years. Not that this is necessarily a big factor for someone faced with such a decision but may be something to put into the mix.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LooseMarble
Nobody mentioned durability, maintenance, complication, and/or ease of repair/service as a factor to consider. I have no experience with a GT2 but I imagine with equal track punishment (or even accumulated street miles/age) the GT3 will have less headaches and expense to keep up with over the years. Not that this is necessarily a big factor for someone faced with such a decision but may be something to put into the mix.
Not much different between the two other than zero issues with the GT2 clutch other than wear (as opposed to the NA car which seems to have never-ending issues with the factory parts), and VTG turbos that have been proven to be reliable.

Biggest wear issue is the same with both cars- LSD.

Biggest failure points are similar- cooling circuit issues- epoxy joints, plastic end tanks on radiators failing, factory batteries are ****e, etc.

These cars don't differ as much as people think, other than power output. Get the neutered one if you don't want power and want to feel safe with that big old wing creating all that drag, or learn to use the throttle as a potentiometer and not an on/off switch. The alignment/ride height/rake adjustments can be the same, the weights are substantially similar enough that cornering speeds don't vary by too much between the two, so it's more tire dependent than anything else. Gear ratios are set up for the respective engine configurations, so there will be some variance there but not that substantial, only different shift points on the track and at different rpm.

Anyone who says the GT2 isn't as good as a GT3RS has never been in one set up properly, but that again is not surprising because there are only so many 997 GT2 in the world but a plethora of GT3/RS, making the GT2 rather rare in track day appearances. To this day I have never seen another GT2 or GR2RS at the track (although I am sure there are others) but GT3/RS are a dime a dozen.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 007DT
Nick... My Fault. I thought you were talking about Road Atlanta..

You are referring to Road America.. I've never driven it. My Bad!
No problem, honest mistake I used to make all the time as well, back when both the RA tracks were on the WKA road race points schedule.

I can understand why you would think 170+mph at Road Atlanta T1 would be bull****. I would be surprised to get anything over 130mph at that point, going downhill to the right hand corner onto the main straight takes a lot of nerve at the limit. It's a weird spot on that track and I haven't had enough time there to decipher it.

Quick Reply: Trade a GT2 for a GT3RS?