Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Making GT3 better for DD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:19 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993
I was able to pick up a leather 997 headliner on ebay (in red, no less), I think the one I have is from Porsche Exclusive.
post some pics please, would love to see
Old 03-14-2014, 02:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
post some pics please, would love to see
Same here.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:04 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Non performance tires. Softer suspension. Raised ride height.
Remove front chin spoiler.
Rear seats might also help.

Throw condom over the shifter and vola'! You got a numbed down version of 911 that you paid extra money for.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, let me see if I understand properly:

- You want a GT3 which You can numb down by adding padding, weight, extras seats, less sticky tires, so You can drive it daily; but You also want to take it to the track.. and .. do what with it?? (with all that added bukl and reduced performance?)

- MHO; get a GTS.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Bose headset fixes the interior noise issue. Running MPSS and driving slower on the highway also helps with the noise level. The ride is bumpy but livable. The front lip scrapes everywhere. The clutch is pretty epic. I could handle using it as a DD for the summer season but not year round. I think they made the car as well as they could make it.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 101 Posts

I enclose a photo as requested.

To the OP - I hope some of the postings don't discourage you. It is your car, you know your driving conditions and environment best, and you should make the changes you want to safely maximise your enjoyment of the car.

As just one example - the GT3 came with MPSCs, great on the track but suicide on standing water (personal experience, multiple times). It rains a lot where I drive, so I quickly changed out the OEM tires - car now runs on MPSS on BBS E88s (for weight and strength). Much, much better.

Same idea with the headliner.

I now drive a car that is safer, the cabin is better, and the driving experience continues to be 100% GT3. Good luck whatever path you take.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You got a numbed down version of 911 that you paid extra money for.
When new, amazingly a loaded C2/4S would be similar or more $ than a GT3. As we have seen, a GT3 (996 997) won't depreciate as quickly.

Once things are sorted out with the 991 GT3 you might want to explore it as a possibility. The chassis is improved over the 997 - but you give up the value of the Motorsport engine.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

I was wondering if anyone's tried to make GT3 more daily friendly?
Hey Alex,

I much prefer to DD my club coupe over my .2RS.
After you spend a lot of money to convert GT3 to become more daily friendly and then add rear seat, then you will find that on street driving, it will be very similar to your current C4S. So what is the point of doing it?
I bet you if you drive your C4S aggressively, you can keep up with any GT3 or RS or Ferrari on the street. The subjective feeling of being in a GT3 is just subjective.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving a GT3 daily makes it a better daily driver. Gentleman start your engines!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL..... yes indeed!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just recently purchased my 1st 997.1 GT3 ....I have not received the car yet...hopefully in about 2wks it will be here! My plans were to pull the back carpet out and i have Dynamate sounding deading cut into tiles and not in the roll....i plan to place some of the tiles throughout the back of the car and then also i have a roll of close cell foam that will be putting over the top of the tiles or i may clue to to the back of the carpet area in the back of the car. Hopefully this will cut down on the drone noise from the exhaust i will be running... I have purchased 2 exhaust to see which i like the best SW's bypass and the SW's track exhaust discontinued version. I know the bypass does not cause drone noise but i really like the sound of the track exhaust and plus we do not have any emission or sound laws here in AL.
I recently did this same setup with Dynamate and close cell foam in my Lexus and dramatically cut out the road noise and made the car much quieter. If this works i will do a write up... comparing the weight of the exhaust removed to the weight added back with the dynamate and close cell foam.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Late to the discussion

You reference cabin noise as the issue you are trying to resolve

What you need to do is categorise where the noise is coming from then look at options, if it comes down to exhaust noise then GT3 may not be the best choice for your DD as anything to make this quieter will more than likely adversely affect performance.

Road noise, stock alignment with a reasonable street tyre could also help but again as others have pointed out this will make minimal difference.

They are a car with an intended harder edge and it takes quite a bit to soften that
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
The reason I am asking guys, is to see if I could swap my Carrera to GT3, and still use it daily/track.

The ride isn't actually that bad IMO, specially with PASM, but in a long stretch, the noise could be too much. I believe there's less sound dampening for obvious reasons, can those be added back?

Tire change would help and plan to use MPSS.
No need to turn a GT3 into an S. You already have one and it's perfectly trackable, too.

Quick Reply: Making GT3 better for DD?