Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

18" wheels to clear 380mm brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Had not investigated Finspeed; look nice, though expensive. Worth a call.
Expensive??? I do not see that.
Have said it before and will again ... Finspeed FTW!!!

Ranger
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

FIKSE Profil 10 18" in 9/12 widebody offsets fit fine. However, it is close, inner wheel weights need to be up against the spokes or they will hit the brake caliper, just barely. You need to specify PCCB clearance when ordering.

Of the two you listed I like BBS and Forgeline. There is a big advantage of multi-piece wheels too, if you bend an inner or outer, replace that part (and for this BBS is TOPS due to parts availability) and 1-2 hrs labor for the rebuilds vs having to source a new wheel.

I also really like the look of the Finspeed wheels.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
They are relatively new. I actually met Daniel(the owner) and Mitchell, the chief engineer when I was at COTA last month. They took time to give me a lot of info. I trust them. I believe he will stand behind his product. Yes, 9x18 fronts. I can't remember exactly, but the offset is around 48 to 50. FWIW, the Finspeed 18" clears the 390mm discs more than the OZ 18" I had before clears the 380mm rotor. This is how much the OZ cleared. Finspeed is more than that over the bigger disc.
Good info, paver, thanks. Sounds like they instilled confidence in their product and support; that is important to me. Wow, that OZ was tight!

Originally Posted by paver
crappy pic but this is 18"x 9" F11 with the extra light option
Thanks for the photo; definitely more clearance, even with the larger rotor.

Originally Posted by kosmo
i dont think CCW uses offsets but here spec

BS: 7.0; PCD: 5X130; CB: 2.82
Thanks. ET calculations can be confusing; backspace also difficult to measure consistently. CB?

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Expensive??? I do not see that.
Have said it before and will again ... Finspeed FTW!!! Ranger
Quite a bit more expensive than CCW, and all the add-ons up the price about $400/wheel, which is BBS/Forgeline territory.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
FIKSE Profil 10 18" in 9/12 widebody offsets fit fine. However, it is close, inner wheel weights need to be up against the spokes or they will hit the brake caliper, just barely. You need to specify PCCB clearance when ordering.
I have one of my buddy's 9x12 Profil 5s' here and it is very tight. Might be doable, but would prefer additional margin. Specifying PCCB helps, but I think they only add about 3mm to the offset, they don't have different inner diameter inner barrels that I know of.

Of the two you listed I like BBS and Forgeline. There is a big advantage of multi-piece wheels too, if you bend an inner or outer, replace that part (and for this BBS is TOPS due to parts availability) and 1-2 hrs labor for the rebuilds vs having to source a new wheel. I also really like the look of the Finspeed wheels.
I've used BBS 3-piece wheels for 2 years and Fikse 3-piece wheels for over 10 years. I get the advantage of replacing parts vice entire wheel; if there is sufficient room and margin. I was not a fan of the "4th" piece of BBS (and similar on Forgeline): the sealing ring and gasket.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Just got off the phone with Daniel at finspeed. Very knowledgeable, and we think alike. He has also run into some of the same wheel use issues as me, and he had solutions. He instilled a level of comfort and confidence in both the product and support.

Only downside is the cost. The desired add-ons increase the price by nearly $600/wheel. Combined, they cost significantly more than my previous order (nearly double), and a good bit more than Forgeline GA1R's, but they will clear my calipers. I may need to scale back on my options wish list...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Only downside is the cost. The desired add-ons increase the price by nearly $600/wheel. Combined, they cost significantly more than my previous order (nearly double), and a good bit more than Forgeline GA1R's, but they will clear my calipers. I may need to scale back on my options wish list...
What options are you adding that add up to $600/wheel? wow.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM
nochain19
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

C10 here
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Try Ryan at Jongbloed
(209) 769-3870
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ultrlight and Ultralight-Pro options (approx 8.5 hrs of additional machining per wheel). Without these options we are at $3640/set.

Wheels with the Ultralight and Ultralight-Pro options:

Name:  911qtr2_zps825cb2db.jpg
Views: 3312
Size:  113.6 KB
Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

I have sets of Ga3R and GA1R forgelines and there is ample clearance with 380mm rotors (5+mm), so much so that I think there is some sort of magic at work. My formula43 3-piece are less than 1mm - strong wheels but very close.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Thanks; at least they do clear. Have you had any issues with Hoosiers rotating on the rims! or with having weight stay on?

I think the BBS's floating around were centerlock.
my tires do not rotate much in BBS. barrels are roughened at factory
BBS has five lugs for ur car, just really expensive but clr 380

friend has if speed, clr too
Old 03-14-2014, 01:57 AM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with Daniel at finspeed. Very knowledgeable, and we think alike. He has also run into some of the same wheel use issues as me, and he had solutions. He instilled a level of comfort and confidence in both the product and support.

I have GA1R's and Finspeed F18rt's and while the GA1R's are a little lighter in weight there is no comparison in price. The GA1R's cost me about $5200 for the set, the F18's were about $3600. The level/quality of machine work on the Finspeed and GA1R's are about equal. My GA1R's were powder coated, my Finspeed's have Daniels new ceramic coating which for track wheels are a godsend as the powder coating on the GA1R's is chipping and shows scratces. The Finspeeds still look brand new and dust and track boogers barely sticks to the finish, it's awesome! Between the two I would go with Finspeed without a doubt and I'm actually planning on ordering another set because I like them so much! Now comparing the GA1R's to those Ultralight Pro's that Daniel posted, is like comparing apples to oranges. There is way, way more machine work and features in those Ultralight Pro's than in the GA1R's.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Finspeed
The Ultralight and Ultralight-Pro options (approx 8.5 hrs of additional machining per wheel). Without these options we are at $3640/set.
Thanks for all of the inputs. That is correct; to the base wheel price listed on the Finspeed website ($795 front, $845 rear), I included Finspeed's Ultralight option that reduces the important weight at the outer part of the rim ($250/wheel) and Ultralight-Pro option that carves out the spokes (another $250/wheel) when I had configured the desired high performance wheels. In addition, I also included the RT open lug machining ($50/wheel) and bead knurling to prevent tire slippage ($40/wheel), for total options of $590/wheel. When needing two sets, that really adds up, so I may need to scale back my desired ultimate design.

I remain very interested in Finspeed wheels. As previously stated, Daniel instilled high confidence in the quality and reliability of the wheels, the experience and ability to accommodate important modifications, and also in downstream product support. Timeline is also critical to me, and given the extensive machining required, to complete two sets in about two weeks is quite good. In fact, after missing VIR this weekend, there is possibility I could make the next event at Summit Point April 5th.

The other wheels that merit consideration are the Forgeline GA1R's, with a "Motorsports price" (not advertised, but I gathered readily available) of $1,035 per wheel, including open lug design and carved out spokes, but do not offer knurled bead or ceramic coating options. They also require closer to four weeks to make.

Last edited by RedRSA; 03-14-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by werks
I have GA1R's and Finspeed F18rt's and while the GA1R's are a little lighter in weight there is no comparison in price. The GA1R's cost me about $5200 for the set, the F18's were about $3600. The level/quality of machine work on the Finspeed and GA1R's are about equal. My GA1R's were powder coated, my Finspeed's have Daniels new ceramic coating which for track wheels are a godsend as the powder coating on the GA1R's is chipping and shows scratces. The Finspeeds still look brand new and dust and track boogers barely sticks to the finish, it's awesome! Between the two I would go with Finspeed without a doubt and I'm actually planning on ordering another set because I like them so much! Now comparing the GA1R's to those Ultralight Pro's that Daniel posted, is like comparing apples to oranges. There is way, way more machine work and features in those Ultralight Pro's than in the GA1R's.
Excellent first hand info on the two primary wheels I am considering, thank you! The experience and resources on this site are impressive and very helpful. I agree that the ceramic coating is a benefit over painted/powder coated; I like to keep my wheels clean and the ceramic coating is nearly equivalent to the anodized finish I'm used to. And Daniel even says that they can match that race satin finish with their satin aluminum ceramic coating!

I thought the GA1R came standard with the carved out spokes? If so, that is the equivalent to the Finspeed Ultralight-Pro option. The Forgeline Motorsport price I was quoted was $1,035/wheel.

Last edited by RedRSA; 03-14-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

PM Sent - I have a few questions, thank you.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I have sets of Ga3R and GA1R forgelines and there is ample clearance with 380mm rotors (5+mm), so much so that I think there is some sort of magic at work. My formula43 3-piece are less than 1mm - strong wheels but very close.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Default Solution Found!

Thank you for all of the feedback. Based on input and experience from users, it was obvious I had two really great choices in Finspeed and Forgeline, and I've decided to order Finspeed Wheels for my GT3. The wheels are in production as we speak, with a promise of receipt in time to attend my next scheduled event!

Once received and fitment is tested and confirmed (no issues anticipated), I will post photos and a description of my rationale for selecting Finspeed.

Quick Reply: 18" wheels to clear 380mm brakes