Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For the collector, what is worth buying for 20 years down the road.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 AM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I disagree, kids today don't care about drivers car, they want car with technology, ie bluetooth, media interface etc.
When the collectors of today, say 50++, are no longer with us, all the cars they collected will be returned to the marked and as a result, prices will go down. Look at the marked for cars built in the 30's to the 60's - prices are very low except a few foreign cars (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) . Jaguar E type are priced from 30 to 80k.
My view - collect for the next 10 yrs, monitor marked, and when the 50++ are no longer with us, sell before the marked crashes.
Funny, as I was reading this thread I thought the same thing. The ME generation seems to have minimal appreciation for what was unless it's in a video game. Certain things come back, but cars that you have to look after, care for and maybe get your hands dirty with…..I think there will be less of us like that in 20 years. Cars are becoming disposable loaded with technology that goes out of date in a year. Classic cars are currently referenced by car and motor pkg/performance pkg.
20 years the show host will say, "and in 2005 they had a thing called lane departure, blind spot detection, sirius radio and got 40mpgs, very exciting for the time!"
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
agreed. kids won't care too much for these things, imo. society is moving way to fast to stop and smell the roses and collect.
ugh... the horror...

Originally Posted by Reid55
Agree with TGAVEM. More and more, kids today don't give a crap about the same things we do. If they care about cars at all, its cool to be green, ugly, slow, and look like a boombox on wheels. 30 years from now at coffee and cars....Dude, is that an original gen1 lithium pack in your Insight? Sweeet! Fortunately, my children have been trained properly. If the value of my Porsches tank in the future, then I shall be buried in the nicest casket known to man.
agreed.

Originally Posted by 911-AL
Wise words
yes, i always knew i inevst well.

Originally Posted by chakka
Funny, as I was reading this thread I thought the same thing. The ME generation seems to have minimal appreciation for what was unless it's in a video game. Certain things come back, but cars that you have to look after, care for and maybe get your hands dirty with…..I think there will be less of us like that in 20 years. Cars are becoming disposable loaded with technology that goes out of date in a year. Classic cars are currently referenced by car and motor pkg/performance pkg.
20 years the show host will say, "and in 2005 they had a thing called lane departure, blind spot detection, sirius radio and got 40mpgs, very exciting for the time!"
funny, but true. hopefully i be long gone by then.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I don't know...can you make real money(profit)with cars,even collectible ones?
Let's say you buy it today with X amount of money,keep and maintain it(maintenance is very important and costly) for 10 years and sell it for 2X amount of money. With depreciation in mind,is your profit 2X of the amount you had 10 years ago...?
Of course this is just a very simple equation,there are a lot of variables involved...
Totally agree with you. Cars are never investment. They are our toys.

Having said that, I think I have 2 very collectable 911 in my garage.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 PM
fivetwozero
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dream comes true today. FOB from Japan....
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^993RSCS, now that's SICK.
congrats BIG time.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
nju
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. The only one 993RS in Toronto? Beautiful car! Big congrats!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

WOW!!! That is a dream!

CONGRATS!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

That with a Ferrari as its stablemate………..very nice!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem with buying an investment grade car is that I want to drive them. I almost bought a CGT last year and a couple of years prior to that.....then I think I need two of them. One to be a garage queen and another to be my driver. Its a damn car after all!! Then I say screw this, lets go drive our depreciating cars and have have a drink.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i went thru same thought. i like to buy two of everything. one use one keep. meh... life too short. if i can't last forever, neither should i toys.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to jump in. Please sell me all of the cars that are fabulous and rare that you think your kids won't want 20 years from now. That way I can save you the trouble of storing, insuring and maintaining them; not to mention worrying about their ultimate value!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:44 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

My guess Is that the market for these cars will not be your kids (I opted out). What about the emerging economies and all the new wealth created? That is unless everything collapses. Then, you could at least live in your RS
Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fivetwozero
Dream comes true today. FOB from Japan....
SUPERB ..can you tell us something about the experience with Japanes Porsches...? I have seen a few interesting deals over there...but have no direct experience with "Porsches" from the land of the rising sun..
Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by secretcollector
I have to jump in. Please sell me all of the cars that are fabulous and rare that you think your kids won't want 20 years from now. That way I can save you the trouble of storing, insuring and maintaining them; not to mention worrying about their ultimate value!
thats a good one..I´ll throw in even more

- we will come and pick up the car at our cost (so no worry for the owners to organise this)
- every child of the owner will get from us 1000$ voucher that can be used either in Apple stores or McDonalds

How does that sound?..First volunteer?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgavem
I disagree, kids today don't care about drivers car, they want car with technology, ie bluetooth, media interface etc.
When the collectors of today, say 50++, are no longer with us, all the cars they collected will be returned to the marked and as a result, prices will go down. Look at the marked for cars built in the 30's to the 60's - prices are very low except a few foreign cars (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) . Jaguar E type are priced from 30 to 80k.
My view - collect for the next 10 yrs, monitor marked, and when the 50++ are no longer with us, sell before the marked crashes.
I disagree with you partially. There is a small group of kids today who are still analog. And I don't mean the kids wearing the stylings of yesteryear. I mean kids who are still basic and analog. That want to turn wrenches, don't want any of that bluetooth, nav, etc, just want to drive. My youngest nephew is one. Barely has a learner's permit and is asking his Dad for a Fox Body, don't get much more analog than that.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
agreed. kids won't care too much for these things, imo. society is moving way to fast to stop and smell the roses and collect.
See above, there are some, but not enough.

Originally Posted by chakka
There will be less of us in twenty years, we can thank accountants for that. What happened to raw, unadulterated, kill you supercars? Accountants.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
My guess Is that the market for these cars will not be your kids (I opted out). What about the emerging economies and all the new wealth created? That is unless everything collapses. Then, you could at least live in your RS
The market for these cars will certainly not be my kids, the market will be me as well as my generation. There are exceptions to this rule, however, there is a pattern emerging to the rise and fall of "collector" prices.

The market swings in a way of people wanting the cars they wanted as kids or early in their adult life. Still, there are exceptions. The people who wanted those big block equipped, matching numbers, survivor whatever muscle cars were children when they hit the market. So as they got older, the want for these cars got bigger and bigger. Now when this generation started retiring and had some money to throw around, they threw it around. Started snatching up those odd color'd, odd option'd, matching numbers cars when they hit their 50s or 60s. They wanted to relive the days where they dreamed of.

Now fast forward to people my age, late 20s and early 30s. These 996s and 997s will be our muscle cars. We'll want that PTS'd GT3RS with no options or that 4.0 with low mileage that's been kept in a bubble. But we'll want them when we're taking a look into our mid 40s and early 50s when we retire.

When that happens, the rare examples of the 996s and 997s will snatched up almost instantly. When all of the Turbos, PTS'd RSes, and GT2s are gone, that will create a vacuum of sorts. Pulling the non RS cars up in price slowly but surely because some of us won't be able to afford those big ticket cars, but we'll settle for that C2S that was PTS'd in Signal Orange with the GT2 buckets.

The perfect example for my theory is the 190SL market right now creeping up. With all of the 300SLs in private collections, there's none left that are attainable, so of course people settle for the 190SL and the prices start to come up as those numbers start to dwindle.

Quick Reply: For the collector, what is worth buying for 20 years down the road.