Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

still want a 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You guys crack me up - the 996 is still easy to drive. Sure, the 997 is tuned better, but if you want a real driving challenge, get behind the wheel of a torsion-bared car.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
You guys crack me up - the 996 is still easy to drive. Sure, the 997 is tuned better,
its all relative right? are you arguing that its not noticeably easier to drive a 7.x faster than a 6.x?

but if you want a real driving challenge, get behind the wheel of a torsion-bared car.
Ive heard of those ... I tried it once I hated the 915 tranny so much I ran away
Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its all relative right? are you arguing that its not noticeably easier to drive a 7.x faster than a 6.x?

Ive heard of those ... I tried it once I hated the 915 tranny so much I ran away
You're absolutely right - it is all relative. But in the grand scheme, a 996 and 997 is the same exact car. Same wheel base, same suspension configuration. Nearly every part is interchangeable. The 997 is faster not because you are fighting the 996 the whole time behind the wheel, but mainly because the 997 has more mechanic grip - its limit is higher.

...and I completely agree with you about old 911s. An acquaintance of mine offered me a 930 cheap (with a G50!) and after taking it on a half-day extended test drive, I've confirmed that I don't want anything to do with anything air cooled at any price.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

You're absolutely right - it is all relative. But in the grand scheme, a 996 and 997 is the same exact car. Same wheel base, same suspension configuration. Nearly every part is interchangeable. The 997 is faster not because you are fighting the 996 the whole time behind the wheel, but mainly because the 997 has more mechanic grip - its limit is higher.

...and I completely agree with you about old 911s. An acquaintance of mine offered me a 930 cheap (with a G50!) and after taking it on a half-day extended test drive, I've confirmed that I don't want anything to do with anything air cooled at any price.
Ive had 993 and 964 and loved them ... I once tried a 3.2 with 4 sp 915 ... uugh!

I'm not man enough!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Ive had 993 and 964 and loved them ... I once tried a 3.2 with 4 sp 915 ... uugh!

I'm not man enough!
It's not so bad...
Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yargk
It's not so bad...
yeah but I'm the sort of guy that might ... and I say might ... surrender his clutch pedal!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I'm very very tempted indeed ... been half heartedly keeping an eye on the LHD 6.2 RS market in europe:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...n&pageNumber=1
well u know, he will have his bonus paid out tomorrow
tell him to use it before it gets stale.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

If faster was my only goal I would have bought a Nissan GTR. I bought the 6.2 because it was more rewarding to drive. Not easier, not more plush on the road, not anything but spine tingling, grin inducing unadulterated fun. As close to a contemporary cup car as any factory street car could be. And apparently no longer approved by the legal department. Yes, you have to be careful driving up steep driveways, and the euro seats are a bitch to get in and out of.

Maybe the exhaust could be a bit louder but the transmission is riflebolt smooth when warmed up. Get a decent alignment and rear toe links and thats that. Yes the suspension mounting points are not quite as well resolved as on the 997 and there may be some unsettled moments but when I got it right, I got it right.

My only mistake? selling it. Now I am trying to decide if anything newer will be as fun and don't even mention a flappy paddle automatic transmission 991. Maybe there is a god and he burning them up because he is pissed...
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedster
If faster was my only goal I would have bought a Nissan GTR. I bought the 6.2 because it was more rewarding to drive. Not easier, not more plush on the road, not anything but spine tingling, grin inducing unadulterated fun. As close to a contemporary cup car as any factory street car could be. And apparently no longer approved by the legal department. Yes, you have to be careful driving up steep driveways, and the euro seats are a bitch to get in and out of.

Maybe the exhaust could be a bit louder but the transmission is riflebolt smooth when warmed up. Get a decent alignment and rear toe links and thats that. Yes the suspension mounting points are not quite as well resolved as on the 997 and there may be some unsettled moments but when I got it right, I got it right.

My only mistake? selling it. Now I am trying to decide if anything newer will be as fun and don't even mention a flappy paddle automatic transmission 991. Maybe there is a god and he burning them up because he is pissed...
well said!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

6gt3 will give you the most of that raw, mechanical, visceral gt3 essence for the least amount of $$.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Hehe well said. Now to arrange things so I get track time tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Tedster

Old 02-16-2014, 12:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Another data point - a few of us down in Texas hired Patrick Long for a couple days a couple years back. He drove my 6.2 and a buddies 7.1 almost back-to-back, both were stock at the time, and our tires were just about the same ( R6s in their golden session). 7.1 was right at 1 second a lap faster on a 1.7 mile configuration. That's with one of the best 911 drivers in the world behind the wheel.

One second isn't that much with 10 or 15 corners (.1 per corner), so at our driving level, the better driver will probably be faster. That being said, if you respring your 6.2 and revalve the factory dampers, you get that whole second back (and more) for very little money. I think it's like $100 a corner for revalve, and springs are cheap...

-td
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish you guys would stop telling everyone about the virtues of the 996 GT3! I kind of like beating up on 997 GT3s on the track with my "old" and "slow" visceral 911 w/o nannies...

So please don't tell the 997 board what they are missing!!!

(My secret plan is to buy a 991 GT3 so I can SMOKE EVERYONE on the track with one scorching lap time per day, then drive the 996 the remaining laps to work on my skills and have fun... I'll nickname it "the Cred Car" just to keep those GTR drivers honest. Seriously.)

-B
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^
Too funny.... "The Cred Car". Love it!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Very interesting data point.

I am new to the 996 GT3 but I purchased it with the explicit purpose of driving to that same track I think you are talking about. The goal being gobs of seat time. The relative cost difference, and lack of nannies was what sold me on 996 vs 997. Being faster than myself is what matters to me, not 'racing' in a DE environment.

After 6 track days in 9 weeks I am pretty confident I made the right choice. A 997 would have served the exact same purpose at a higher price point.

We should probably move this to the 996 board eh?

Originally Posted by himself
Another data point - a few of us down in Texas hired Patrick Long for a couple days a couple years back. He drove my 6.2 and a buddies 7.1 almost back-to-back, both were stock at the time, and our tires were just about the same ( R6s in their golden session). 7.1 was right at 1 second a lap faster on a 1.7 mile configuration. That's with one of the best 911 drivers in the world behind the wheel.

One second isn't that much with 10 or 15 corners (.1 per corner), so at our driving level, the better driver will probably be faster. That being said, if you respring your 6.2 and revalve the factory dampers, you get that whole second back (and more) for very little money. I think it's like $100 a corner for revalve, and springs are cheap...

-td

Quick Reply: still want a 996 GT3?