Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

anyone at COTA this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014 | 06:12 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
That pesky yellow Corvette running around in the green and red group. Yes that is the clutch that is slipping <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlzgEM4r5A">YouTube Link</a>
how much whp?
Old 02-11-2014 | 06:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 893 Posts

600+++ hp and Michelin slicks = a great combination!

I remember hearing the sound of that slippage
Old 02-11-2014 | 06:35 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from the E92 M3 with DCT was eye opening, especially on a track new to me. Learning all kinds of new stuff like SHIFTING on a very technical track, but it was still a blast. I got the benefit of ShakeNBake riding with me all day Friday constantly whispering in my ear "gas, gas, gas" or "go, go, go". He helped me learn the track, even though I did not execute what he was telling me to do. Still have to learn the limits of this beast. Hopefully I will have some open space at the BMW event next month to get down under 2:40.

Basically bone stock on RS3's with an alignment.

Old 02-11-2014 | 06:49 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
600+++ hp and Michelin slicks = a great combination! I remember hearing the sound of that slippage
yeah real easy 2:20 ish in traffic
Old 02-11-2014 | 08:09 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Has the track surface cured since last year?
IMO yes. Track is pretty good. It actually gets a tiny bit greasy when in the sun all day...
Maybe I'll go back this year for vintage nationals... I liked tws better last year
Old 02-11-2014 | 08:22 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Was anyone is a low car (i.e. any car NOT the 928 baja buggy mutant) able to straddle the orange apex boobies? They were fine as a berm, but not sure if they'd clear, guessing they might.
Old 02-11-2014 | 08:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
Was anyone is a low car (i.e. any car NOT the 928 baja buggy mutant) able to straddle the orange apex boobies? They were fine as a berm, but not sure if they'd clear, guessing they might.
As they are currently configured (F1), the only one a street-based GT car (like yours) can clear is at 19. That one does not change, regardless of sanctioning body...the others are interchangeable based on sanctioning body rules. I will put 2 wheels INSIDE that one at 19 all day long in any street-based GT car...and it is much faster that way. With the way it was last weekend, go right up to but do not touch any the others. As COTA was last May for PCA, I would also go over the ones at 7 and 9 quite easily.
Old 02-11-2014 | 08:46 PM
consolidated
Drifting

As they are currently configured (F1), the only one a street-based GT car (like yours) can clear is at 19. That one does not change, regardless of sanctioning body...the others are interchangeable based on sanctioning body rules. I will put 2 wheels INSIDE that one at 19 all day long in any street-based GT car...and it is much faster that way. With the way it was last weekend, go right up to but do not touch any the others. As COTA was last May for PCA, I would also go over the ones at 7 and 9 quite easily.
Good 411, thanks Dave. (Don't tell everyone about straddling 19 )
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Good 411, thanks Dave. (Don't tell everyone about straddling 19 )
Hahahaha! Too late! but the fact of the matter is that nobody will do it despite me telling them here. Everyone over slows there & treats it like a real corner, when it is not...

Nobody uses much curb there, which is to my advantage. Last year, when I got in for my enduro stint, we had lost our 2nd gear synchro, so no 2nd gear (sort of an important gear at COTA in a cayman). So entry speed was paramount to not be bog slow. Using all of 7 and 9 and 19 was a key part of that...to the extent that I barely had the 2 right side tires on the track surface there...and at 7...and at 9

The corner workers at those corners wagged their fingers at me every lap like "you're a Bad Bad Boy"...but didn't black flag me
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:15 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Hahahaha! Too late! but the fact of the matter is that nobody will do it despite me telling them here. Everyone over slows there & treats it like a real corner, when it is not...

Nobody uses much curb there, which is to my advantage.
Most seem hesitant to turn in as early as they should at 19, leaving room at track out and missing the apex because it's blind. I know I have to remind myself to go early each time, that white patch on the armco right is handy. Do you use a marker here? Just send me the bill.
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:17 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some racers really straddle 8 as well
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:20 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Definitely, no orange curbing there or right after 6 to set up for 7. I had a wheel bearing go bad on Sunday, curbs can't be helping.
Old 02-11-2014 | 10:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Most seem hesitant to turn in as early as they should at 19, leaving room at track out and missing the apex because it's blind. I know I have to remind myself to go early each time, that white patch on the armco right is handy. Do you use a marker here? Just send me the bill.
Hahaha! I won't send you a bill...but maybe you'll hire me sometime...it'd be fun to work with you...seriously!

I don't use a marker per se. Especially one on the armco, since that takes my eyes away from where I want to be looking, IMO. Rather, if I am really hauling the mail through the carousel (15-16-17-18), as soon as I can get the wheels straight after moving back track right (and there is another secret there that I won't give away for free here that is very valuable for speed & stability in the 15 to 19 sequence), I look for the first glimpse of the very top of the orange bollard in 19. That is when I start rolling into the apex...with very slow hands. Doing this this way...early...tons of curb...solves another problem at exit that many people face and which cause fear of real speed there. You should be at 75+++ MPH vMin through 19... Like on the very north side of that range for vMin... I won't give away what I have coached other drivers to as vMin there...but I have seen 80++ MPH myself behind the wheel...

EDIT: the other key to making all of this work is early, soft braking...

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Yep. i didn't mention that because he was only asking about the orange bollards, but yep.

Definitely, no orange curbing there or right after 6 to set up for 7. I had a wheel bearing go bad on Sunday, curbs can't be helping.
Yep, also in 6, but not as much. Remember, entry speed into 6 is much more important than exit speed...

As for wheel bearings, yeah...and COTA is also the worst track I know for brake pad knockback... if you get a long brake pedal, that's why.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-11-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2014 | 12:25 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant to go look at that car before the weekend was up but i forgot. I think he set his ride height with a yard stick.

I had a 86.5 928S & i realize they are an acquired taste but that was fuggly!
Old 02-12-2014 | 06:51 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 555 Posts

I hit the 19 orange "F-off" cone at the PCA event and my car went up on two wheels, so I've stayed away since. I didn't know there were different heights - good to know, that would make 19 massively faster - at least half a second if you could carry the 120mph exiting 18 through 19.

7 would be way faster as well if I could cross over the darn orange bumper - not as big a deal in a GT, it sticks like crazy once you get back on the throttle right there.

Anyone else having trouble with Hohos slipping on their rims at COTA? This was the first time it's happened on my 18" forgelines that have an anti-slip bead surface. By the end of the weekend it was waaaaaaaaay out of balance, almost undrivable home (short distance).

Originally Posted by Rene
I meant to go look at that car before the weekend was up but i forgot. I think he set his ride height with a yard stick.

I had a 86.5 928S & i realize they are an acquired taste but that was fuggly!
Yeah - what was the story with this guy?? It looks like we was setup for 36" mudding tires - it was at least a foot off the ground. Someone mentioned he was running a corvette drivetrain - LS1 and rear transaxle - maybe that's why, but my god, what a compromise....why bother.

Quick Reply: anyone at COTA this weekend?