Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,982 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I've got a set of Moton Clubsports that I want to part with. They are freshly rebuilt with fresh powder coated springs also.

pm me for info.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I've got a set of Moton Clubsports that I want to part with. They are freshly rebuilt with fresh powder coated springs also.

pm me for info.
Why are you selling? This is kind of my concern with all these aftermarket setups. Ive seen these, KW, JRZ all for sale because people arent happy with them for dual duty. And ive seen mixed reviews on all the setups from people that have them.

When I put JRZ RS Pro DAs on the E36 it was awesome and others that had the setup also loved them, but doesnt seem to be any type of consensus on a setup when it comes to the GT3.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Why are you selling? This is kind of my concern with all these aftermarket setups. Ive seen these, KW, JRZ all for sale because people arent happy with them for dual duty. And ive seen mixed reviews on all the setups from people that have them.

When I put JRZ RS Pro DAs on the E36 it was awesome and others that had the setup also loved them, but doesnt seem to be any type of consensus on a setup when it comes to the GT3.
How about Bilstien Clubsports? I've heard that they are great dual purpose coilovers.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

...This is kind of my concern with all these aftermarket setups. Ive seen these, KW, JRZ all for sale because people arent happy with them for dual duty. And ive seen mixed reviews on all the setups from people that have them.

That's because GT3/RS owners have more money than E36 owners (when both cars were new), they buy what's "hot" at the moment only to realize later that it's not for them.

Many times people don't have well thought out goals for their cars. This is a must in my book...and as the saying goes, "what may be right for you may not be right for some..."

Figure what best suits your needs/likings/driving style and then based on that do your research and then based on that see if you can drive a car that has that and then based on that purchase.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,115 Posts

MJSpeed has good feedback... I'd also add to go with what your shop knows, suspension is a system. I went with Ohilins as that is what my shop knows, is familiar with, uses, and recommended. I rode in a couple different cars they had with the same setup I had prior to making a decision. They also use KW.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,982 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I am selling because I am doing my car a severe injustice by not driving it. Between work and raising a family, I really don't have time to drive the car, even on the streets. I try my hardest to get it out at least once a month to circulate fluids but it's becoming apparent that this car would be better served in someone else's hands.

That being said, I purchased these freshly rebuilt, still sealed in Moton packaging. I popped the boxes open and had the springs powdercoated in preparation of having them installed after a few track days. Those track days have not happened and I don't see it happening in the near future. That being said, these have been sitting on the shelf in my garage collecting dust. They are in the classifieds with pics and all. 650/800 spring rates and a great deal for anyone who pulls double duty with their car.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Quick update, have them installed, and heading to track tomorrow. I will say, the ride is well damped, and it actually rides better than stock. It's definitely more firm/stiff, but you can tell the valving is soooo much better. I set mine at 3 front, 4 rear....so it's relatively stiff (0 to 7 recommended for the track, out of 20 total clicks available).

The fit and finish are second to none, and the click/adjustments are very defined and you can feel the difference with as little as 1 click, 2 is very apparent.

I test drove around some bumpy roads, and no doubt, it does a better job of absorbing the bumps...it's still race car stiff, but I can't explain it. You can feel the car is simply much better controlled. I'll post more after I get some seat time at the track, but for the price, you won't find a better single adjustable setup anywhere.

A couple important things we learned, at least for anybody running CCW C14 wheels and PFC rotors/hats.

1. The kit comes with 65mm ID springs, which are obviously wider than stock size 60mm ID springs, and makes inside wheel clearance tighter. With my CCW C14's, I had to install a 5mm front spacer otherwise, they were literally touching the springs. I'm sure between the wider springs and the slightly thinner PFC rotor hat, that's all it took to make clearance an issue. For other wheels, it may not be an issue.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I'm tempted to pick up the Bilstein Clubsports as I want to retain the PASM/TC/SC and the cost of re-valuing + new springs + new stock mounts is about 35% of what the Bilsteins would cost. If I have some good gains in the market this year, I'll pull the trigger later on this year as a Christmas present to myself.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Nice update.
MVEZ which spring rates did your kit come with? My shop went with custom rates and the spring clearance wasn't an issue, I think maybe they used 60mm springs? Not sure. Mine is dialed up high, closed on front, closed +10 in back (I THINK!). So yeah, it rides stiff but it's very well damped. I just went with what the shop suggested for the spring rates and rest of setup.

USC: If you went with a non PASM you still retain TC/SC. My TC works fine. .1 doesn't have SC. Do you use the sport shock button? I tried it on my .1 and it makes the car jittery and jarring, so I never used it, ever. And my ohlins setup rides way better than the stock sport mode. Anyway, you can check it out next weekend at Chuckwalla. If they do parade laps you can take for a spin. Will give you something to compare to.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm tempted to pick up the Bilstein Clubsports as I want to retain the PASM/TC/SC and the cost of re-valuing + new springs + new stock mounts is about 35% of what the Bilsteins would cost. If I have some good gains in the market this year, I'll pull the trigger later on this year as a Christmas present to myself.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Ive been curious about this setup as well but havent found anyone running it
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Ive been curious about this setup as well but havent found anyone running it
Yeah, it doesn't seem like anyone on here runs that suspension. I guess when people upgrade they want a race inspired suspension while I want the best of both worlds (street and track). Besides, I think Bilstein has a lifetime warranty on the Clubsports.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Bilstein Clubsports do not retain PASM......and do not have a lifetime warranty. All "clubsport" dampers require servicing/rebuilds, regardless of what warranty they have. Ohlins DFV and Bilstein Clubsports have similar service interval recommendations. The Bilstein is a great setup, if you want independent compression adjustment, but in my experience, 99.9% of DE guys never adjust compression once it's set, they only mess with rebound. You end up paying for a lot more feature than you ever use...

If anything, the affordability of the Ohlins setup will be viewed negatively by many in the Porsche community, because so many have zero clue as to what works, and simply buy "the most expensive, best, suspension there is"....Ohlins makes literally tons of these kits, for LOTS of car makes and models, which is why it's so much more affordable than similar kits from other smaller suspension companies. Ohlins sells this kit for $2600....if anything we should applaud Ohlins for not trying to rape Porsche owners simply because they can...which happens all the time for countless products for sale for these cars.

You guys want to spend $5K, 10K, 12K on suspensions, go ahead. I'm just saying there are high quality options out there for alot less money, and will offer performance that virtually none of us will ever be able to fully exploit.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Nice update.
MVEZ which spring rates did your kit come with? My shop went with custom rates and the spring clearance wasn't an issue, I think maybe they used 60mm springs? Not sure. Mine is dialed up high, closed on front, closed +10 in back (I THINK!). So yeah, it rides stiff but it's very well damped. I just went with what the shop suggested for the spring rates and rest of setup.
The kit comes with 515/800# springs. I kept the same rates, just switched to Swift springs. Highly unlikely that your shop used 60mm ID springs, because that would have required them to use different spring perches, but find out what your shop used.

Your BBS wheels probably just have better inner clearance and have a different offset than my CCW C14's. John (CCW) is pretty aggressive on wheel fitments.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:06 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
The kit comes with 515/800# springs. I kept the same rates, just switched to Swift springs. Highly unlikely that your shop used 60mm ID springs, because that would have required them to use different spring perches, but find out what your shop used.

Your BBS wheels probably just have better inner clearance and have a different offset than my CCW C14's. John (CCW) is pretty aggressive on wheel fitments.
Is the 515/800 spring rate streetable? My car is just an occasional DE weekend track warrior and the rest of the time it is driven during the weekends around town. Did you get linear or progressive Swift springs? Where do you buy the DFV kit for $2,600 and do they come with stock mounts or do they retain the OEM ones? It was going to cost me $2,000+ to re-value my OEM shocks, buy springs, and buy monoball shock mounts.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Is the 515/800 spring rate streetable? My car is just an occasional DE weekend track warrior and the rest of the time it is driven during the weekends around town. Did you get linear or progressive Swift springs? Where do you buy the DFV kit for $2,600 and do they come with stock mounts or do they retain the OEM ones? It was going to cost me $2,000+ to re-value my OEM shocks, buy springs, and buy monoball shock mounts.
If you put the shocks on soft setting, it is streetable, but make no mistake, it's a lot firmer than stock. When you go up in spring rate, it always increases stiffness. Linear springs are what you need, and honestly the ones that come with the kit are perfectly fine.

Any retailer will sell them, I like PSI (performance shock inc.), and the kit uses all the stock top mounts, another reason why the cost is less. The stock mounts are perfectly fine, and are already monoballs.....aftermarket ones are not needed for your application and will only add cost and additional NVH.

For mostly street driving, which it sounds you are doing, I would honestly probably just keep the stock setup. The .2's are much better than .1's...but that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: ohlins