Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Walter Rohrl on Piston Heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Love Walters honesty. What a POS the new GT3 is based on the first weekend at Sebring experience of a sharing Rennlister. Just another fast car that's not track proven and not track worthy until proven otherwise... But hey; At least us fumbling newby track enthusiast now get the dumbed down automatic so we cant money shift anymore!
Peter,Walter Rohrl is the man! These are his true feelings. I never doubted him. I knew he's talking highly about PDK just because he works for Porsche.
You have read between the lines what he's saying...PDK...no more money shifts...easier on the engine....it's not cost,it's not the " small GT department " and it's certainly not " the PDK works best with this engine as a package "
I feel sorry about those going in limp mode in the new GT3,but I'm hopeful these are just bugs that will be fixed.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
he mentioned he has ordered a boxster spyder in a manual….. given that they are discussing the 991 GT3, would this mean that he has a possible 2015 boxster spyder on order??

Spolier alert for a posible 2015 Spyder?
man..you always have the best pictures in your avatar..
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rox
Respectful of the new technology yet true to himself about his real views on manual vs PDK, and the increasing desire to have technology drive for us....

What I find most intriguing is that he spells out Porsche's inadvertent reasons for the 100% push to PDK, that is, preventing engine failures and cost through wannabe driver errors and I can't help but feel that it was all part of a grander plan to introduce inferior engine quality, reduced cost and higher profit without a blow out in real world failures.. thus no option for stick...

Shame they couldn't even get it right on a more foolproof PDK platform with 991 GT3s already going into limp home mode after their first track outings with cam sensor failures, just like the Sportauto test car... There is a VERY good reason for the motorsport program continuing to use the "antiquated" technology, the new technology isn't up to the task...
Couldnt agree more....and really - I give Walter a lot of credit for his words - he is still and honest and not brainwashed by Porsche marketing. However, words like his are for sure not appreciated by the higher management..and if you look at other Porsche test drivers, they wouldnt have the guts to say the same. The question is how long he will stay there..he already lost some duties...

On the engine: I remember the words very clearly from Porsche: "lets call this new 991 GT3 our new motorsport block"..- now where is it? Not in 2014 RSR (therefore not likely in 2015 either)..and as far as I know 2014 CUP will not use it either...

I know..the world is cruel..and so many old fashioned people here at RL..with their nasty questions...
Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 84 Posts

Great read, thanks for the post Nizer. He also alluded to the new emissions laws that may require smaller engines with turbos to obtain the same level of hp. Goes along with all the speculation that there may not be another gt3.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Respectful of the new technology yet true to himself about his real views on manual vs PDK, and the increasing desire to have technology drive for us....

What I find most intriguing is that he spells out Porsche's inadvertent reasons for the 100% push to PDK, that is, preventing engine failures and cost through wannabe driver errors and I can't help but feel that it was all part of a grander plan to introduce inferior engine quality, reduced cost and higher profit without a blow out in real world failures.. thus no option for stick...

Shame they couldn't even get it right on a more foolproof PDK platform with 991 GT3s already going into limp home mode after their first track outings with cam sensor failures, just like the Sportauto test car... There is a VERY good reason for the motorsport program continuing to use the "antiquated" technology, the new technology isn't up to the task...
+1 people got into GT3's and thought getting in the car made them Patrick Long, which is why you had to really learn the car to keep it in one piece, inside and out.

That was the single greatest thing about the GT3. Gone. And I also agree that the first GT3 was the best GT3 ever for that very reason. You absolutely could NOT go fast in one by point and shoot and over driving would get you hurt. You knew for a fact that a really fast 996 GT3 driver was talented without question. If you clocked it, the car told you.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Love Walters honesty.

What a POS the new GT3 is based on the first weekend at Sebring experience of a sharing Rennlister.
Just another fast car that's not track proven and not track worthy until proven otherwise...

But hey; At least us fumbling newby track enthusiast now get the dumbed down automatic so we cant money shift anymore!
Wow, nuts. As to be expected, some bug with a new car, still don't like what they have done to it, but I would expect them to fix those issues pretty quickly.

Unless it's like RMS, or Coolant hoses.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Peter,Walter Rohrl is the man! These are his true feelings. I never doubted him. I knew he's talking highly about PDK just because he works for Porsche.
You have read between the lines what he's saying...PDK...no more money shifts...easier on the engine....it's not cost,it's not the " small GT department " and it's certainly not " the PDK works best with this engine as a package "
I feel sorry about those going in limp mode in the new GT3,but I'm hopeful these are just bugs that will be fixed.

Agree, the 991 fanboys couldn't see that these test drivers are programmed on what to say and would scoff at the idea of that. Walter finally got his own words and look at the dead silence on the 991 GT3 forum thread on this.

"I want the car to be fast because of my talent" - Walter Rohrl
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Just another reason to start stockpiling naturally aspirated, manual transmission cars.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

All cars have their issues, big or small, but it is an embarrassment to the brand to talk up one of their most track capable cars so much over its predecessors, to then delay and stall pending deliveries and to then send out half arsed examples to their customers that can't even see it through a day on the track... If I was on a flatbed truck, back to my dealer after my first morning out having just paid over $300k, I'd be devastated... Porsche need to revisit their engineering and QC practices where their GT program is concerned because they owe it to all their GT customers to provide a product that doesn't result in comments like " it's amazing on track when its going"

Must also be the first Porsche that couldn't even complete a Sportauto test under its own steam and they peddle this as the future of GT cars??? Really? Obviously that was no fluke limp mode when so many customer cars seeing track time are doing same...
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by widers911
Great read, thanks for the post Nizer. He also alluded to the new emissions laws that may require smaller engines with turbos to obtain the same level of hp. Goes along with all the speculation that there may not be another gt3.
I highly doubt there will not be another GT3. It might not be true to the spirit of the GT3s of the past, but I am pretty positive Porsche will always have a 911 with "GT3" slapped on to it - they just realized it is too good of a money making moniker to give up on now.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I can overlook the glitches and delays. Teething issues are going to be present with a LOT of new tech thrown in at once.

What I can't get past is no slicks. And the tire wear is confirming it. Guys are eating through tires in a day or two. For slicks, that is blowout territory. I had that fear when it was mentioned, that the AWS could cause those issues.

Then there is the issue of having to get special 19's made to fit over the brake calipers to even get semi slicks on the car. Might be impossible to get 18's on it to run slicks. I think they did that on purpose. Bling, and prevention of people trying slicks. They didn't need bigger brakes than were on the 997.

This car is the opposite of everything that preceded it. I don't see this car as a GT3. The GT3 moniker was based on a racing series, and the cars that WERE built stuck closely to that principal. Until now.

Fail. Fast...... but fail.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

game over!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

With you on the tyre situation Wanna... Porsche seem to be going out of their way to make these cars unappealing to true track junkies... Between no slick mandates and tyre sizes economically unrealistic for track use, it's become clear that they want their cars spending far less time driven by enthusiasts on track.

As far as teething problems are concerned, I'm happy to cut slack BUT if key components are changed 'for the better' (ie. centrelocks on the 997, engine and trans on the 991) as a customer, I expect these nailed 100% so I'm not on my way to the dealership weeks after becoming an owner... They should realise that with people already weary of the new engine platform moving away from their motorsport program, lack of confidence and ill will can fester quickly with failures on track after a morning's use...
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

...it's become clear that they want their cars spending far less time driven by enthusiasts on track.
Or they're trying to sell more Cup cars for more money...
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Sorry to have to be the one to point this out to you but you are wrong.

For one thing if the driver misses a shift Porsche doesn't pick up the tab. That's what the DME and its overrev counters are for. To protect Porsche from the drivers who make the money shift.

And your comment about Porsche's grander plan to introduce inferior engine technology is just so silly I'll leave it at that.

The overriding reason for PDK is to help theses car deliver acceptable fuel mileage and CO2 emissions numbers in the mileage/CO2 emissions testing.

Porsche is not alone in this, as every other car maker does the same thing. This is why one is seeing 6, 7, even 9 speed autos and 7 speed manuals on car.

With PDK the shift points are designed to 'game' the test and help the car deliver very good results.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Disagree:
911S PDK: 20/27 MPG
911S Manual: 19/27 MPG

The reason prior GT3 was only offered with manual and current only with PDK is down to margins and profits. No mystery here.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Pow

Quick Reply: Walter Rohrl on Piston Heads