Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Walter Rohrl on Piston Heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts
Default Walter Rohrl on Piston Heads

The man knows his cars. Full text here: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29197

You have, of course, been heavily involved in the development of the new 918 Spyder, as you were with the Carrera GT. Which is your personal favourite?
"If I have to choose for a future car, I would take the Carrera GT. The car is slower, and it is much more difficult to drive, but it's more how I expect the car to be.

"The 918 is something highly sophisticated; it's very fast, it's very easy to drive, but it doesn't give you the same feeling as the Carrera GT. Of course if somebody is asking me which to buy, I will always tell them: take the 918. With it, your life is easier, and your life is safer. But the sound of the 10-cylinder; this alone is something which is unique!"

And the next predictable Porsche question; PDK in the GT3 - thoughts?
[With a knowing smile] "Yes, during the press launch everybody was complaining and saying: 'Why?!' But I said, 'Be happy! Drive the car and you will see how much easier it is for you to go fast.' The shifting is something very impressive. I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift. So they would shift back too early and the engine would be over-revving. With PDK, you avoid this. But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch. I've just ordered a Boxster Spyder with a manual shift - and I know that it's working, it's perfect, and it's up to me how I handle things. But PDK makes life easier for normal customers."

Given that, what's your pick of the GT3 lineage?
"It would have to be the first GT3 in 1999, the one in which I set first [Nurburgring] time under eight minutes, a 7:56. I think that car was like a 2.7 RS from 1973; a pure Porsche. Today it's easier to drive the new GT3. On the Nuerburgring, to go 7:35 is nothing any more. It's so easy to drive, it's so perfect; you don't even have to shift any more. You just put down the throttle and brake and everything is going automatically. Really the newest one is always the best one. But for myself, I always want that it is my talent to make the car fast, and in the old one you really need more talent than with the new one. But I still thinkthe 997, with 435hp, it is a fantastic car. In it, everyone can go fast."
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

he mentioned he has ordered a boxster spyder in a manual….. given that they are discussing the 991 GT3, would this mean that he has a possible 2015 boxster spyder on order??

Spolier alert for a posible 2015 Spyder?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 01-14-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Thank you for posting this Nizer!
I agree,he knows his cars! And I knew that this was his opinion all along!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

Couldn't agree with him more. Flappy paddles are there to help posers drive as fast as skilled drivers during their DE sessions. Seems like they complained to Porsche that they were tired of "losing" and Porsche listened. Hopefully Porsche will continue to offer manual transmissions on their lower tier cars as the GT cars are now Geriatric Transmissions only.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedster
Couldn't agree with him more. Flappy paddles are there to help posers drive as fast as skilled drivers during their DE sessions. Seems like they complained to Porsche that they were tired of "losing" and Porsche listened. Hopefully Porsche will continue to offer manual transmissions on their lower tier cars as the GT cars are now Geriatric Transmissions only.
im told the manual transmission 991 has rev matching technology…...
Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with Walter completely. I can understand the attraction of the wankermatic but afraid I'd get bored with it.

Wish they made both...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Respectful of the new technology yet true to himself about his real views on manual vs PDK, and the increasing desire to have technology drive for us....

What I find most intriguing is that he spells out Porsche's inadvertent reasons for the 100% push to PDK, that is, preventing engine failures and cost through wannabe driver errors and I can't help but feel that it was all part of a grander plan to introduce inferior engine quality, reduced cost and higher profit without a blow out in real world failures.. thus no option for stick...

Shame they couldn't even get it right on a more foolproof PDK platform with 991 GT3s already going into limp home mode after their first track outings with cam sensor failures, just like the Sportauto test car... There is a VERY good reason for the motorsport program continuing to use the "antiquated" technology, the new technology isn't up to the task...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Just like video games, the kiddies always find way to cheat to be better then the people who have natural skill. I think they still find out that they lose when the people with natural skill use the same cheats they use and end up disappointed in the end any ways and try and find new cheats to make them better.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he is always so honest.
i love him for that.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Respectful of the new technology yet true to himself about his real views on manual vs PDK, and the increasing desire to have technology drive for us....

What I find most intriguing is that he spells out Porsche's inadvertent reasons for the 100% push to PDK, that is, preventing engine failures and cost through wannabe driver errors and I can't help but feel that it was all part of a grander plan to introduce inferior engine quality, reduced cost and higher profit without a blow out in real world failures.. thus no option for stick...

Shame they couldn't even get it right on a more foolproof PDK platform with 991 GT3s already going into limp home mode after their first track outings with cam sensor failures, just like the Sportauto test car... There is a VERY good reason for the motorsport program continuing to use the "antiquated" technology, the new technology isn't up to the task...
can you provide some more info on the PDK failures?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
can you provide some more info on the PDK failures?
They're not PDK failures,read 911rox's post again.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...e-problem.html
Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting. SaminTx tech is someone i respect. Lets hope hes right.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
They're not PDK failures,read 911rox's post again.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...e-problem.html
Love Walters honesty.

What a POS the new GT3 is based on the first weekend at Sebring experience of a sharing Rennlister.
Just another fast car that's not track proven and not track worthy until proven otherwise...

But hey; At least us fumbling newby track enthusiast now get the dumbed down automatic so we cant money shift anymore!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Love Walters honesty.

What a POS the new GT3 is based on the first weekend at Sebring experience of a sharing Rennlister.
Just another fast car that's not track proven and not track worthy until proven otherwise...

But hey; At least us fumbling newby track enthusiast now get the dumbed down automatic so we cant money shift anymore!
I passed that new 991GT3 on the track last weekend. Was he in limp mode or something? I thought I could hear something from his car too?

I money shifted for the first time ever on T17. Got lost looking for 3rd and nabbed a high rev 1st.
Still managed a 2.28.53 on that lap…. I didnt hurt anything but im sure the car didnt like it.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yes, see: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

Hold on to your real 911's guys..

Quick Reply: Walter Rohrl on Piston Heads