See you there!
Doug N

PS. Larry you have email!
Excellent news!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Goes without saying that any other local (or other) RennListers are more than welcome to join the party!

We'll be at Am-Tiergarten Wed-Sat, heading to Spa on Sunday for this:
http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/t...experience.php
Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy and I will be at the Nürburgring May 29-30. We decided to rent BMW 125i Stage 2 cars from Rent4Ring. Those cars have roll bars, seats and harnesses, which we thought was important for us.

Interestingly enough, the Rent4Ring rep recommended PS3 and GT6 for training, in addition to the YouTube videos and books. He wasn't so keen about Xbox and Forza.

Jon
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dantzig
My buddy and I will be at the Nürburgring May 29-30. We decided to rent BMW 125i Stage 2 cars from Rent4Ring. Those cars have roll bars, seats and harnesses, which we thought was important for us.

Interestingly enough, the Rent4Ring rep recommended PS3 and GT6 for training, in addition to the YouTube videos and books. He wasn't so keen about Xbox and Forza.

Jon
Dont do it, the lack of actual feedback despite the realism and accuracy of the games physical model will only subliminally teach you things that wont equate to
the real world IMO ... YMMV

have fun!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Dont do it, the lack of actual feedback despite the realism and accuracy of the games physical model will only subliminally teach you things that wont equate to
the real world IMO ... YMMV

have fun!
Thanks for the advice, Larry. I've been at this for real long enough to know where the game stops and reality begins.

I have spent some time running the GT3RS around Road America in Forza4. I know that track very well, and I find the simulation to be pretty reasonable. The lack of feedback is quite apparent, and Turns 13 & 14 have some camber errors in the game. My lap times are within about one second in the two places when I drive my line. And I was able to experiment a little with downshifting in a corner where I usually don't. Simulation produces nasty drop throttle oversteer that you just cannot feel coming on like you can in a car. Nice reinforcement for the idea that this is just a game.

I think that it will help on a track as long and complicated as the 'ring to have a better idea of what's coming up next. I'm not foolish enough to think that it will teach me the line and how to drive on the edge. Just something to supplement the books and YouTube videos.

Jon
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Larry, our personal ring concierge for free beer
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are awesome! I was hoping to visit '15. If there is a group organized on this thread I'm in! Please share your trip, especially the logistics of getting the cars there. Can wait to see this!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
You guys are awesome! I was hoping to visit '15. If there is a group organized on this thread I'm in! Please share your trip, especially the logistics of getting the cars there. Can wait to see this!
Shipping your US car to Europe and insuring it is a whole different game and a LOT of work, its a lot easier to do ED or rent something local, or as some of my friends do, buy a car there, use it, and sell it again...

If you want to ship, its been covered elsewhere in RL; basically you have two choices: out it in a container, or on a RoRo ferry (the latter being cheaper) transit times are around 4-8 weeks, and you will need to engage a shipping agent. Many of the agents that handle European Delivery for BMW, Porsche, Audi, MB, Volvo can help with this.

You can operate our car temporarily in Europe on US plates (as long as the registration is current) so no need to register.

If you ship the car into Germany, you may have to deposit GST/VAT + import tax in escrow while the car is in Europe. Others have imported into Belgium or
the Netherlands to avoid this.

You of course have to hold the vehicle title in order to export/import the car.

Once it is there, obtaining insurance is VERY tricky. When I looked into this only USAA and GEICO in the US would insure (US) cars in Europe, and when I tried to get GEICO to insure mine they would not accept the risk.

Others have suggested that you could use ADAC tourist insurance, I have not looked into this.

good luck!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I appreciate the input. Renting a car at the track would be most convenient. I have a crazy idea of shipping my car over and doing a European track tour. Visiting legendary tracks like Le Sarth, Nord, Silverstone and Spa over the summer/fall. As you stated, European rules and regulation will be a challenge and I'm not sure if my tour wish is feasible. I'd at least like to take on the ring in my own GT3.

-Tim

Last edited by RINGMEISTER27; 01-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I want to retire and play and do this. James/Dan etc... I left the keys through the mail slot. You know the codes/p-words so you're all set
Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
I want to retire and play and do this. James/Dan etc... I left the keys through the mail slot. You know the codes/p-words so you're all set
We all want to do that Alex ... take a vacation ... come along! It should be on every petrolheads bucket list.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
^ I appreciate the input. Renting a car at the track would be most convenient. I have a crazy idea of shipping my car over and doing a European track tour. Visiting legendary tracks like Le Sarth, Nord, Silverstone and Spa over the summer/fall. As you stated, European rules and regulation will be a challenge and I'm not sure if my tour wish is feasible. I'd at least like to take on the ring in my own GT3.

-Tim
Its not impossible Tim, but it requires a lot of effort... it would definitely have to be for an extended period to make it worth while.

If you are serious, the place to start is to find an insurer, start with GEICO or USAA (if applicable) after that maybe ADAC in Germany, or perhaps one of the smaller brokers that advertize in Evo, Total 911, or GT Purely Porsche or similar.

Then find a shipping agent; I recommend using one of the ones that specialize in car transportation (like the ones for BMW, Porsche etc).

RoRo ferry is much cheaper than a container...

keep us posted...

alternatively get on a plane and meet us there in May!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope some of you crazies join join us. It's going to be epic!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a group going at the end of April, 1/2 day at the Ring & whole day at Spa. We are using RSRNurburg GmbH for rentals and instruction.. Looking like a good time.

Quick Reply: Nordschleife Trip 2014...