Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Please please enlighten me!!! Why are the 2 RS prices at almost 200K?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geisha was a virgin and she went cheap - twice.
now that she's a reformed *****, and been around the block a few times, she would fetch much more.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
geisha was a virgin and she went cheap - twice.
now that she's a reformed *****, and been around the block a few times, she would fetch much more.
The entire market shifted. not an apples to apples compare.

I have a colleague that bought a 4.0 at the same time i bought my RS. I didn't know it then but when i saw it I let it slip that I had seen it on track the week before he bought it. The previous owner was properly "warming" it up for the new owner. My colleague has never driven his 4.0, he has been dry storing it from day 1.

There you go. Virgins. how do you tell? they don't bleed and everything worn can be changed out. and paint re-touched/ plastic wrapped.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just like in the movies...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

khooni, i thik you've got it right... no debate
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
On one hand I don't mind speculators driving up the values of these cars (even the 3.8 RS) but that is only because I have mine. I used to own Toyota Supras in the late 1990s to mid 2000s and it was crazy how much demand there were for rare models of that car. I used to buy cars from long distance, drive them for a year, and sell them for considerably more in my local market. When I bought my RS in late spring 2013 I thought to myself that it was going to be a safe place to put my money for the long haul (last Mezger, last MT, RS model), but it's pretty crazy what has been going on. I like to see enthusiasts actually get their hands on these cars, not just collectors and people looking to flip for a profit. I guess it's a blessing and a curse in that way.
Yep. If I would have held on to one of mine, I would probably think differently. Now that I miss it and want to get back into one, they are 20% higher or more. Plus, with all the current investment into business, I don't have the cake to overpay. In either scenario, buying cars out of the hands of enthusiasts in order to keep the price inflated or inflate it altogether doesn't sit well with me. I won't buy from people like that no matter how bad I want it.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-29-2013, 10:55 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There does seem to be a boom in the prices of old porsches. 964s, 993, 997RS and so on. It doesn't quite make sense to me and yes there are well-heeled enthusiasts buying up cars by the half dozen and then asking 1.5x - 4x the price (depending on the car). I wouldn't have paid $50K for a 993Turbo 3 years ago, why would I pay $130K now?

9973.8RS is a beautiful, amazing car. I would buy one for $110K. But I won't find one. Because typically people who "speculate" on these cars never actually NEED to sell. So they price it wherever and just wait (and wait, and wait) and eventually fiction becomes fact. m5trol explained it perfectly. it is a pity in a way. but ups and downs in every market...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM
hf1
Race Director

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Speculators can't just decide to raise prices at whim. There must be an underlying supply/demand imbalance in the market on which they are betting. Plus, markets are forward looking. I believe there are two main reasons for the price rise of raw, mechanical, analogue Porsches:

1. The GTS-ification of the 991 GT3. There already are dozens of Porsche models that are good for daily driving, weekend drives and occasional track day. GT3's (and RS's) have typically been the rawest of them all -- probably not the best for driving them daily or for hours on the highway but always having that mechanical rawness and tactile attributes that makes you look forward to firing them up on a weekend morning for that 1hr country road jaunt or a day at the track to get your dose of visual, aural, and tactile excitement which may be a bit much if taken every day. Now that the 991 GT3 is being praised for its "versatility" and "compliance" many previous GT3/RS owners are fearing that the GT3 concept (as described above) may be getting diluted beyond a point they are willing to cross.

2. There is some Euro 6 "green" regulation looming in Europe starting around Sep 1, 2014. There are articles and projections that this may mark the end of the NA high performance engines and force performance car manufacturers into smaller turbo and hybrid engines. If true, this would make the GT3/RS and older Porsche models even more desirable for the people who appreciate what mechanical and analog rawness does to their senses. I believe Singer's appearance, success, and price levels it commands are further manifestations of this trend.

In light of the above, it is perfectly reasonable that forward looking enthusiasts and speculators would enter the market and position themselves for the possible increase in the supply/demand imbalance going forward. That's how markets work.

Last edited by hf1; 12-29-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,811 Likes on 2,381 Posts

u are all missing the point
I some times run a equity fund, so timing the mkt is kind of my job.but non of the big fund managers time the mkt. those who think they timed it right are the ones who got it wrong. there are no fund in hosting that made it big by timing.

that said, one can wait for rs to drop, but some ppl want to drove it now and be done with it. then decode to buy another indenticsl model same color same everything and do it again. the enjoyment and driving during that time should be "calculated" while others are waiting for price drop. if u saved 50,000 on the target but I put 10000 ℗ miles on the car while u waited, was it more " value" saved? the calculation based on purchase price is false economy. what if u die while waiting?

soneone said I can buy cheap due to connection. well I lose a lot of money on each car I sell and buy. in fact, if u calculated the total cost of my 4.0 hahaha, those who paid 400 got a bargain. I time mkt well, always buy high sell low
so when I post for sale ad, pls wore money roght away. I don't allow PPI on my cars, but ask Randy, pjs and other they love what they bought.

just find waht u want
buy it
smile
drive the **** out of it
the move on
Old 12-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care what I paid for my .2RS in September nor do I care about its resale value years later. I will drive the **** out of it on and off the track. Have fun, gentlemen!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u are all missing the point
I some times run a equity fund, so timing the mkt is kind of my job.but non of the big fund managers time the mkt. those who think they timed it right are the ones who got it wrong. there are no fund in hosting that made it big by timing.

that said, one can wait for rs to drop, but some ppl want to drove it now and be done with it. then decode to buy another indenticsl model same color same everything and do it again. the enjoyment and driving during that time should be "calculated" while others are waiting for price drop. if u saved 50,000 on the target but I put 10000 ℗ miles on the car while u waited, was it more " value" saved? the calculation based on purchase price is false economy. what if u die while waiting?

soneone said I can buy cheap due to connection. well I lose a lot of money on each car I sell and buy. in fact, if u calculated the total cost of my 4.0 hahaha, those who paid 400 got a bargain. I time mkt well, always buy high sell low
so when I post for sale ad, pls wore money roght away. I don't allow PPI on my cars, but ask Randy, pjs and other they love what they bought.

just find waht u want
buy it
smile
drive the **** out of it
the move on
Yes...I still love Giesha....now at 25,000 miles I enjoyed every dollar paid

I did make a mistake and not buy ur 4.0

And ur old cup is fun too...
Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowandsteady
I don't care what I paid for my .2RS in September nor do I care about its resale value years later. I will drive the **** out of it on and off the track. Have fun, gentlemen!
+1
Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

the good old days...when Mooty was hording cars to inflate the market

I just wired the money sight unseen, no ppi

That was the last time Giesha had a coat of wax

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66440
Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 PM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Moot's thoughts, my experience:

"just find waht u want
buy it
smile
drive the **** out of it
the move on"

Bought my RS Oct 2012 from Byers. Thirty minute phone conversation and had the car shipped. Previous attempt failed at another dealership when I waited overnight to ponder the purchase. Have not looked back. Car was a virgin with 4,000 miles; now has 18,000 and many mods and 25 track days. At my age (64) I am certainly not saving the car for the next buyer. I drive every chance I get which includes to work. Whatever amount the car has depreciated due to mileage has been more than doubled in the joy I have experienced.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

^this +1!

Bought my NB back in July of '11 with 2K miles on her. 19K now. For the first 6 months, I worried about the miles and depreciation. Then I just said f' it and drive whenever I want. Much happier for having done it. A friend was just diagnosed with stage 3,4 lymphoma. Not sure how much time she has. Any of our tickets' could get punched tomorrow. I don't want to die not having really lived while worrying over $15K in potential depreciation.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
There does seem to be a boom in the prices of old porsches. 964s, 993, 997RS and so on. It doesn't quite make sense to me...
No mystery. Fed funny money still flooding the system. Not limited to Porsche. Same with Fiats, Art, RE, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Quick Reply: Please please enlighten me!!! Why are the 2 RS prices at almost 200K?!