Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Salvage RS, scavenged for 130K?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nurburger - why is it "pathetic" for Isringhausen to list this car for sale here? They made clear and full disclosure regarding the car's history. Your disdain for Porsche dealers (and I am most certainly not one), along with other posters here, is an embarrassment to those RL members who support the dealer network, respect it, and thus allow Porsche to continue to deliver the cars we want to our shores.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to be a politician... but i sort of agree with both...

that the dealer was upfront that it was a salvage title... but i also agree with Nurburger that it takes some cojones to come on here and ask that price for that car... not sure whether pathetic is the right word or not, but not a smart move in my mind...

same dealer offered me GT2 bucket seats at one price, took name, credit card, etc. then later wouldnt honor the price because the price had "gone up from Germany". Probably did go up and technically/ethically, I wasnt too put out by it...although I think that the class act thing to do would have been to honor the price that was quoted. This for me is just another data point...
Old 12-27-2013, 02:30 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
I got a part if it :

"Wpo2010UBOAT........."
Old 12-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As a reference point.. I've been looking at .2 GT3 RSs for the past few months and the recent markup by a few dealers to the $170K+ price point on cars with 15-19K miles is ridiculous in my opinion and an attempt to cash in on manual transmission hysteria.

When I first saw this particular car listed on RL, I focused more on the options listing and glossed over the leading paragraph as reading the first few sentences it looked like the usual "reason why I am selling" type of paragraph. So I walked away thinking it was a clean title car and finally a .2 GT3 RS from a dealer with "reasonable" pricing and something I should consider.

It was not until I saw this thread that I realized it was a salvage title and I had to go back and re-read the original listing. I didn't see salvage title anywhere in the initial description and finally saw it buried in the long paragraph and even there it was easy to skip over based on the way it was worded. Ouch. In that case the car that I thought was reasonable priced was actually priced higher (relatively) than the clean title cars that I thought were insane at $170K+.

Anyhow, just providing my experience as someone on the market who read the initial listing.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 PM
GeoffSr@Isringhausen
Platinum Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My intention in offering this car was to just let people know something unique was available. My perspective on this car is that it is a great track car only. I look at it like a race car - no warranty, no concern for titling, just a tool to go have a blast on the track. Oh yea - this one you could put a plate on it and drive it to the track if you wanted. It is not something somebody should put in their garage as an addition to a prized collection. However it could play the part if asked to. But it is still a great piece of Porsche engineering and every bit as capable as any other RS at ripping up a track. Plus one you don't have to feel too bad about getting track rash on it. We would sell it for the neighborhood of $40k less than a clean title car. At some point somebody just wants to have fun with one of these. I'm happy to keep it and enjoy it for what it was intended regardless of the documentation behind it. There are no operational deficiencies. All this speculation of salt water damage is just that, uninformed speculation. I don’t think water ever got above the floor. We never spotted a water line or had any malfunction of PCM or dash instruments. Everything works, no musty smell, full electronics. But again, just a tool to have fun with - like a race car. Take it for what it is.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoffSr@Isringhausen
My intention in offering this car was to just let people know something unique was available. My perspective on this car is that it is a great track car only. I look at it like a race car - no warranty, no concern for titling, just a tool to go have a blast on the track. Oh yea - this one you could put a plate on it and drive it to the track if you wanted. It is not something somebody should put in their garage as an addition to a prized collection. However it could play the part if asked to. But it is still a great piece of Porsche engineering and every bit as capable as any other RS at ripping up a track. Plus one you don't have to feel too bad about getting track rash on it. We would sell it for the neighborhood of $40k less than a clean title car. At some point somebody just wants to have fun with one of these. I'm happy to keep it and enjoy it for what it was intended regardless of the documentation behind it. There are no operational deficiencies. All this speculation of salt water damage is just that, uninformed speculation. I don’t think water ever got above the floor. We never spotted a water line or had any malfunction of PCM or dash instruments. Everything works, no musty smell, full electronics. But again, just a tool to have fun with - like a race car. Take it for what it is.
Nicely said

People pay hundreds of thousands for old 911 that are rust buckets and fixed

Good thing there isn't a car fax for old cars
Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or cash deals.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero911
... and an attempt to cash in on manual transmission hysteria.
I see it as an attempt to match supply and demand and you, from Silicon Valley, should appreciate that as much as anyone
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Whether it's for track use or for a weekend thing, it's still a flooded/salvaged titled car with possible endless electronic issues with still top dollar asking price .

If the selling dealership thinks there wasn't any problem with the electronics or other parts then would they be able to offer some sort of warranty on the car?

Of course the selling dealer would always verbally endorse the car but when it comes to warranty claim/s, they all balk.

I personally would stay way from the car regardless of the price.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I see it as an attempt to match supply and demand and you, from Silicon Valley, should appreciate that as much as anyone
Touche

If they are really selling at those prices then I am ok with that. Market price is market price. Doesn't seem like it is moving up due to lack of supply though. It seems more speculative like the oil craze a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Salvage RS, scavenged for 130K?