Which gaming system to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which gaming system to get?

I would like to get a gaming system to practice in these bleak winter months of no track driving. Which one to buy?

I would like to get something that has the GT3 (preferably RS) as a vehicle option, and as many tracks in the midwest as possible. I also am planning a trip to the Nürbrugring in June, so that is also necessary.

I don't care so much for bells and whistles, but the more realistic it is the better. From what I can see, it looks like the previous generation (EDIT: Xbox 360 + Forza 4, or Playstation 3 + Gran Tourismo) are the way to go right now. And which wheel/pedal system?

I'd appreciate any recommendations that people would be willing to share.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by dantzig; 12-20-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Had the games and boxes mixed up
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Jon!

Xbox 360 + Forza 4 (you had them backwards in your post) is the only console that is semi realistic and has Porsches. Forza has Road America, Indy, and the 'ring. The Porsche Pack is an additional download.

As for wheels I'd look at Logitech (I think G27 is the latest?) or Fanatec, I'm not as sure on that front as I never looked at wheels for the xbox. Definitely make sure you either rig up a seat and a stand or get one (playseat for example) because otherwise handling the wheel and playing is pretty annoying.

There are PC games that are far more realistic, have way more tracks, and way more cars as well, but my understanding is you need a pretty serious rig to get the most out of those...
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts

PC based iracing.
The game system will cost at least 6-7000 if you want triple screen realistic driving experience.
Fanatec based based equipment makes most economic sense unless you want to spend >20K for real world simulators.
Iracing has Ruf licensed Porsches that are equivalent to Porsche Cup cars and RSRs. Incredible
Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

You've got the two systems/games mixed up. It goes Ps3 & gt and xbox & forza.

In any case, you won't find a gt3 in either platform. Porsche has an exclusive deal with another software vendor (I think it's the vendor who makes the 'need for speed' series. But don't quote me on that.) You'll find ruf cars in gt6 (and maybe forza) but not much else.

You'll find the 'ring in just about every platform. You won't find RA in gt6.

In the want the best platform go with iracing on a PC and fanatec sim hardware
Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

I have a Play station and GT game.
Never turned it on.

Ship car to Sebring is a much better way to spend your time.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:15 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should check out the sim racing channels on YouTube. I've been interested "a rig" myself, I've got GT3 seats stored for winter that could be put to use. Those YouTube guys have some really crazy equipment. Pedals that work on pressure input instead of travel, exact F1 replica steering wheels with quick release removal and actuators to shake the seat over kerbing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simracingtonight
Old 12-20-2013, 12:17 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a playstation + GT 1/2/3 etc... I guess i'm one of the younger guys here... anyways given my generation grew up with those... i played it on occasion. Not that often- but when i did i played the GT games.

After saying that, when i went to the ring, i clocked a 9:45 min lap time in a 48 bhp diesel power lancia ypsilon on my first lap. Why ? I knew the track pretty damn good thanks to the GT series.

Only thing missing was a few bumps- and massive elevation changes at ring vs. game you cannot feel. So yes the gave is VERY VERY good layout of the ring- if that is what you are seeking.

It also gives you a VERY realistic of Laguna Seca, Suzuka - of the tracks i have been to. Game vs. Real life.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have a Play station and GT game.
Never turned it on.

Ship car to Sebring is a much better way to spend your time.
LIKE!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks a lot guys. I corrected the mismatch of games and consoles in my original post.

I don't want to put huge amounts of money into this. Should have said that up front. And, I am finally Windows-free after many years of putting up with Microsoft crap, so any PC is definitely out. I run parallels on my mac just so I can use TraqStudio, but that is as far as I am willing to go.

Jon
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Forza 4 with the downloaded Porsche pack on the Xbox. The Porsche pack consists of everything from a early 911s, to the GT3, GT3RS, several Cup cars, a couple of RSRs, and the RS Spyder. For about $1k, Use the Fanatec GT2 wheel, Clubsport billet pedals, with the new Fanatec CSL chassis and the new billet Clubsport shifter. The accuracy and dynamics is very realistic. How you screw up or save your car in the sim is almost exactly like how it will be in real life.

http://us.fanatec.com/index.php?region=us&language=en

Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

none of these will work for me as I don't care about crashing while gaming. I will keep pushing the other cars until I pass them.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Go with iracing!

Interesting, Nissan has run some contest on PS2. The winners were given "tests" in real race cars. A couple of them are now racing at Le Mans in the LMP2 class. Their very quick too. Pretty incredible.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dantzig, as you can see, gaming can get VERY expensive. But I think for what you're looking for, all you need is to go buy a used Xbox360 and used Forza 4 at a Game Stop. Download the Porsche Pack. Will only set you back like $200 for both. Then after playing for a little while, you can decide if you want a Wheel/pedal's combo to make it a little more real if you get bored with just the controller, I have the Fanatec GT2 steering wheel. It's made with real alcantara and is nice and heavy and doesn't feel like cheap plastic, that being said, it's quite pricey! Forza 4 with the Porsche Pack has all the cars you desire. Here's some pics of my GT3RS I made in the game.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:46 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks a lot everybody. Scott - I had pretty much come to that conclusion. Sending notes to Santa Claus today...

Jon
Old 12-22-2013, 02:51 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Download "Real Racing 3" for iOS. On the settings page, enter the racing code "50 Years of 911" and it will unlock a series of 911s. Fun for half an hour.

Quick Reply: Which gaming system to get?