Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rector Porsche joy riding your car as well ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgdog
I am also impressed with Barrier. I had my car towed there after the clutch/pressure plate failure. They asked where I was driving when the failure occurred and I replied at the Ridge Motorsports park during a lapping day. They took care of me including a 4.0 clutch and pp and starter etc. This in spite of the fact that I have over revs and I had never been to their dealership with the car or done business with them.
a 3rd to 2nd...?? Good decision not to take it to Tacoma....
Old 12-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, still wondering what the issue was.
Must be a really big one. After all F1 was willing to denegrate the dealership , technician and the service advisor after only one visit. This is how they make their living/provide for their families so it must be a really big one...
Seems odd that f1 was unable/unwilling to go back and get the ecu checked to confirm they had done nothing wrong but was able to post this thread denigrating and berating them...
Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
Since you work in P-Town I highly recommend Livermore. John Bartlett in service and Anthony Sunder (tech)are great honest guys. Im Fortunate to be close to them
Anthony Sunder definitely is good. He used to be active on M3F.net and was well respected by all.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Not that this thread needs any more people to sing the praises of Barrier in Bellevue (particularly since the OP and story originate from the Bay area), but they treated me kind and fairly when I took my RS in for the 60k service. Not only that, but they actually put me in touch with other RS owners after asking my permission. Pretty great experience!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Well, still wondering what the issue was.
+1, I'm dying to know.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't get it...

You mentioned that the car has a problem and you brought it in to fix this.

If so, my opinion is the following:

So the usual procedure is to drive the car in the same manner the owner told me the problem occurs to find the failure (if I can't find it while the car is standing in the shop/ is on the lift). Correct me if I'm wrong...

What do you expect? If you want them to find it they have no other chance! They need to drive the car... And what happens if you drive a car? Yes, you put some miles on it.

So what happens if the error does not occur during the mechanics test-drive? You offer the owner to take the car on a longer ride to find the problem... The easiest way to do so is to let a mechanic take it home. So the customer hasn't to pay the time and the shop doesen't have to seperate a employee from the other work for a longer time.

The car is insured by the shops insurance and you don't have to pay that much because the search isn't charged as working-time on your bill.

So what is the problem?

I'd understand you and your anger if the car was in for an oil change or other standart-maintenance-work... Then it's unnecessary to drive it that long. But otherwise I really don't get it...
Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
+1, I'm dying to know.
No more CGT owners dying please.

I took it in to dealership Porsche because after about 5-15 minutes of the vehicle on- at idle, a whine would happen. Like a bad power steering pump for about 30 seconds then go away. The correlation of fuel consumption / mileage is my biggest WTF. Like Serge said, 23 miles whatever no big deal but the biggest WTF for me is the correlation of fuel used ( over 1/4 of fuel ) within 24 miles. That's track driving gas mileage.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 PM
boxsterpro
3rd Gear

Red face

So you brought the car in for an engine noise after running for a while, I don't know if you know this or not, but at idle, engines use fuel. And for an engine noise, maybe they drove the car to see if they could reproduce it after driven. If they changed wiper blades and drove 24 miles, that would be an issue.. And who takes pictures of the mileage before and after??? Conspiracy?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously though, you'll live longer if you don't get this worked up about trivial things!

+1

You need to relax. Its not like your car is a 1 off.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes a LOT of idling to burn a 1/4 tank, not good and unlikely.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
It takes a LOT of idling to burn a 1/4 tank, not good and unlikely.
Over 1/4 of fuel.. 1 fuel gauge line over 1/4 tank of fuel to be exact. Whatever live and learn. Just like mooty learned Carlsen does not care for his money. Now I know Rector does not care for mine.

As for those saying its just a car. Yes it is. It is just MY car. If i dont give a **** about my car- no one will. My $. My car. I decide what is right. This has never been done before to any of Porsche's. End of story.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

^^^^ went through 1/4 tank of gas to go 24 miles?? They probably hit the San Mateo bridge @ WOT redline 3-4 and fifth! Better have your ECU read.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
No more CGT owners dying please.

I took it in to dealership Porsche because after about 5-15 minutes of the vehicle on- at idle, a whine would happen. Like a bad power steering pump for about 30 seconds then go away. The correlation of fuel consumption / mileage is my biggest WTF. Like Serge said, 23 miles whatever no big deal but the biggest WTF for me is the correlation of fuel used ( over 1/4 of fuel ) within 24 miles. That's track driving gas mileage.
Thanks for the followup.

Indeed it is track mileage, worse in fact. It's approximately 5.5 miles/gal. It's impossible to get that low mileage on the street. They must have had it idling all day by mistake or something. I could see that. Maybe halfway intentional to reproduce the problem but I don't know why Hector wouldn't have said that if it was intentional.

I don't think a DME will help you, as others have mentioned, as to my best understanding it's just a point in time snapshot. You'd need to have gotten a DME readout before and after.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

FWIW a buddy of mine owns a Ferrari shop and he's gotten to the point of only road testing cars with the owners in the passenger seat.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I have used Sonnen. Service adviser Gary is great. Was on my way to the track and my pos Cayenne blew a rear Cardan shaft as I was towing. Luckily I was an arms way from Sonnen but by time I limped over there it was 5 minutes before service was closing.
Talked to Gary he said unhook your trailer we'll replace it. Thought my weekend was over but they replaced it and I was on my way. Mike
+1 I like and trust Gary @ Sonnen...

Quick Reply: Rector Porsche joy riding your car as well ?