Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche 997 GT3 MKII Crashes at 160mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
Here is the original thread created by the driver.

The car came out looking surprisingly well when you look at the "After" pics which can be seen here
Unbelievable. The car looks normal, expect for the one shot of the taped up right side windows. Amazing. What kind of internal damage I.e. frame? suspension, engine mounts etc... can something like this cause?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:58 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
160 MHP? I don't know many tracks where it is possible in a Carrera to go that fast. This guy was somewhere in fifth gear and I'd say closer to mid 130's.

Looks like all four were are on track but I cannot tell if there was any steering inputs as he lifted for breaking. Heartbreaking accident but only equipment damaged. One can get ten days of track insurance (20% deductable) for under $2k because I'd hate to have to find out if my insurance carrier would cover it.
Definitely above 130, just look at the speedo in Km/h, he reached 233 Km/h (145 MPH) before glare makes it hard to see.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Unbelievable. The car looks normal, expect for the one shot of the taped up right side windows. Amazing. What kind of internal damage I.e. frame? suspension, engine mounts etc... can something like this cause?
It looks like the car is definitely repairable, the FIA regulations WORKED, the absorbent materials on the rails minimized the damage and injuries. I wish more of our NA tracks were half as good.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It looks like the car is definitely repairable, the FIA regulations WORKED, the absorbent materials on the rails minimized the damage and injuries. I wish more of our NA tracks were half as good.
Agree on FIA regulations. The Catalunya circuit is a grade 1 FIA circuit. Much more runoff and absorbent barriers. Hope some of the circuits here in the States upgrade to the same level of safety. Right now, COTA and Indy road course are the only 2 circuits with the top FIA grading here.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the challenges with those barriers is the length of time required to repair after an impact. This was a big issue during the SCCA Major at COTA earlier this year - we ended up with a lot of yellow and red flag time for track repairs. Better than medical delays for life flights, but it can still be improved.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the safety stuff in the world doesn't help dumb decisions... Why are you out of car with helmet off?? Have you not ever seen where drivers drive where they look?? If you it fluid is there not potential for next driver? End up where you are standing? Was it on fire?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Glad you ok though
Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
All the safety stuff in the world doesn't help dumb decisions... Why are you out of car with helmet off?? Have you not ever seen where drivers drive where they look?? If you it fluid is there not potential for next driver? End up where you are standing? Was it on fire?
I remember watching a guy leave a track and disapear down a hill in front of me.. I hit the brakes then thought " do not get out of the car, if you do Don will yell at me".... Don runs the program at the track and I have heard his driver's meeting instructions more times than the airline seatbelt instructions.

I would rather get collected in a car than out. That being said, not sure how clear my thinking would have been follow that ride... at least OP did not pull out his cell phone and take pictures
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Waterboy
Intermediate

Had a friend crash during a race and climbed out of car immediately, his cord to his helmet got stuck and kept him from being hit and killed from another car. Taught him to look before you jump.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 GT3 MKII Crashes at 160mph