Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Singer Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeriousB
So what I want to know is real life experience of living with the car.

I want to know if it's more fun to drive than a 1973RS, I want to know if it's livable as a daily driver - I'm tired of the Cayenne, 991, BMW7 changes for different purposes, etc... I want one car that looks cool but not too much (i.e. I don't want the F458 looks driving in town) and allows me to put 300,000 miles on it with an engine rebuild every 100,000 miles and that's it. I want a car that is "me" and allows me to have loads of fun (as my Spyder does), a great grand tourer (as my 991 is) but is special to me and only me all around (OK a few conoscenti will know...). I'll never put it on a track because I stopped putting street cars on the track 10 years ago - that's what cup and RSR cars are for - I'll be 44 next week and I want to know if this could be my last DD if I ordered one to be delivered on my 45th bday... Incidentally, I'll also have a 1973T (the actual very first 911 that I went into in 1976) soon but that'll be a "collector and sentimental value" thing...

I want to know about maintenance, reliability, whether the aircon works as poorly as it did in 1992 in my 964 or if they fixed it... I want to know if you can stick a bluetooth system on the radio and have a conference call going 70MPH and not have everyone wish your were on mute, etc etc etc...

Who's got one and isn't using it as a collector item and can tell me all about it... I'm starting to obsess about this "thing" ))))))

Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I don't need to own one to know.

At that price perfect car to last you a lifetime.
Everything is fixed and perfected.

Buy it.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:06 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I would put the 4.0 in that category. I mean I am sure the singer is a great car, everything turned to 11, but from the perspective of safety, long term viability, collectibility, daily drivability and just about every other angle, I think 4.0 would be my choice. I mean, it is. Now if I could add a singer to the stable, after I were to add a ford gt, a cgt, a 73rs and a 16M? Sure, why not.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m5trol
Personally, I would put the 4.0 in that category. I mean I am sure the singer is a great car, everything turned to 11, but from the perspective of safety, long term viability, collectibility, daily drivability and just about every other angle, I think 4.0 would be my choice. I mean, it is. Now if I could add a singer to the stable, after I were to add a ford gt, a cgt, a 73rs and a 16M? Sure, why not.
To me the 4.0 is just too "in your face" to drive every day... Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's not my "forever" DD in my mind right now
Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The Singer is more a timeless instant classic.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a doubt if I had the funds a Singer would be it. With the Frankenstein build for me it is perfection.
Dream: Singer, CGT, and Flying Spur ( if I must take more than my wife)
Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert

I want to know if it's more fun to drive than a 1973RS, I want to know if it's livable as a daily driver - I'm tired of the Cayenne, 991, BMW7 changes for different purposes, etc... I want one car that looks cool but not too much (i.e. I don't want the F458 looks driving in town) and allows me to put 300,000 miles on it with an engine rebuild every 100,000 miles and that's it. I want a car that is "me" and allows me to have loads of fun (as my Spyder does), a great grand tourer (as my 991 is) but is special to me and only me all around (OK a few conoscenti will know...). I'll never put it on a track because I stopped putting street cars on the track 10 years ago - that's what cup and RSR cars are for - I'll be 44 next week and I want to know if this could be my last DD if I ordered one to be delivered on my 45th bday... Incidentally, I'll also have a 1973T (the actual very first 911 that I went into in 1976) soon but that'll be a "collector and sentimental value" thing...

I want to know about maintenance, reliability, whether the aircon works as poorly as it did in 1992 in my 964 or if they fixed it... I want to know if you can stick a bluetooth system on the radio and have a conference call going 70MPH and not have everyone wish your were on mute, etc etc etc...

Who's got one and isn't using it as a collector item and can tell me all about it... I'm starting to obsess about this "thing" ))))))

Thanks in advance
Jean-Marc I think that this is too much to ask from a single vehicle. I believe that you will still need one or two "regular" vehicle in your fleet such as a Cayenne or a large sedan like the 7. I can't imagine heading up to a ski hill in a Singer, or picking up a couple of business associates for lunch in a Singer. It's apparent that you have a passion for Porsche and for the air cooled perfection that the Singer represents. I would reserve time in the Singer for yourself when you can truly appreciate the car and the driving experience. I think using it as a DD will just dull the experience.
The time I spend in my Porsche's is special and every time I enjoy the thrill of being behind the wheel. I would hate to lose that special thrill by driving the car daily and having the drive become commonplace. Not that I'm advocating its becoming a garage queen, but to be used on those special days when driving a commonplace car doesn't seem appropriate.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM
jp175
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would note be interested in a Singer. I don't like how it looks that much. It feels like some one is turning a Porsche 911 into a Trans Am 911 IMO. A little to over the top! I like what some others are doing like Accumoto Motorsports in restoring old Porsches.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert

Thanks in advance
I like your style. Good luck finding someone using it like this! I know I would.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Jean-Marc I think that this is too much to ask from a single vehicle. I believe that you will still need one or two "regular" vehicle in your fleet such as a Cayenne or a large sedan like the 7. I can't imagine heading up to a ski hill in a Singer, or picking up a couple of business associates for lunch in a Singer. It's apparent that you have a passion for Porsche and for the air cooled perfection that the Singer represents. I would reserve time in the Singer for yourself when you can truly appreciate the car and the driving experience. I think using it as a DD will just dull the experience.
The time I spend in my Porsche's is special and every time I enjoy the thrill of being behind the wheel. I would hate to lose that special thrill by driving the car daily and having the drive become commonplace. Not that I'm advocating its becoming a garage queen, but to be used on those special days when driving a commonplace car doesn't seem appropriate.
Of course I'll need a pig but that's for my wife I don't do lunches
Old 12-01-2013, 02:55 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The Singer is a hot rod 911. Euro-Rod if you will.

It is a "classic" car concept but one that you can live with. Drive it across country, to the office, to the grocery store, to the track etc..
You could build a "classic" period correct 911 with little trick bits yourself, but it wouldnt have the creature comforts found in the Singer.
As cool as it would be to run around in a real deal 73RS touring everyday, the Singer is light years ahead in terms of being user friendly which is what makes it dare i say "practical".
It is having your cake and eating it too.

Resale on these will be decent because there are people who want them and will pay for them.

In terms of Hot Rods, if i could have a Brizio built 1932 Ford hi-boy and a Singer 911 in my garage, id be pretty happy.
A real speedster and real shelby cobra wouldnt hurt either…
Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi.

I am building the car, starting february. I am actually visiting the shop this weekend to discuss colors etc and to actually see for the first time in person. I bought sight unseen and I am not going to be surprised if my very high expectations are going to be blown out of the water.

Here is a Top Gear article I had not come across, it was only posted online recently but is from a year ago. They have since further perfected the car.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/sin...ive-2012-02-02

you unfortunately have to click through the 15 images to get the full text below.

Here is my original thread intended to document the process in some form.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t=singer+build
Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Superquant, I can't wait to read about your impressions.
I've talked to Rob twice over the past weeks and I'm gearing for a visit in January

Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Please post about process your choices etc.
Very much look forward to this thread moving along.

Quick Reply: Singer Porsche