Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2/GT3 - Tighter handling and crisper, more precise shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I installed the "street" yellow version a week ago

Drive train seems a tad stiffer. It may be my imagination. I have only driven about 50 miles on the street --so it is hard to say.

So far, I've experienced no downside whatsoever. I can't detect any unusual harness. So, that is a relief for me.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Matrog
Drive train seems a tad stiffer. It may be my imagination. I have only driven about 50 miles on the street --so it is hard to say.

So far, I've experienced no downside whatsoever. I can't detect any unusual harness. So, that is a relief for me.

I have the yellow units awaiting install on my 987.

I doubt that the additional stiffness that you're feeling is your imagination. The inserts fill voids in the OE mounts that allow the transmission to move somewhat freely. With those holes "plugged", the tranny can only move less freely.

If you've experienced zero additional NVH, maybe you should have gone with the black units.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

If these would've been available sooner, I would have jumped on them. I have the 75D TS version, but this version saves you the hassle or cost of pressing out the old one, or buying a whole new tranny mount to use.

That said, 75D solid bushings does transmit consideraly more NVH, especially at 4000 RPMs when the cams open up, but I rarely drive it on the street, and even when I do, it doesn't bother me. I love it on the track, shifts are ALOT more direct, and confidence inspiring. Zero worry about mis-shifting.

This version should transmit even less NVH than solid versions, but still give the benefit of less tranny movement. Probably the best of both worlds.

Kudos to a great little product.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
If these would've been available sooner, I would have jumped on them. I have the 75D TS version, but this version saves you the hassle or cost of pressing out the old one, or buying a whole new tranny mount to use.

That said, 75D solid bushings does transmit consideraly more NVH, especially at 4000 RPMs when the cams open up, but I rarely drive it on the street, and even when I do, it doesn't bother me. I love it on the track, shifts are ALOT more direct, and confidence inspiring. Zero worry about mis-shifting.

This version should transmit even less NVH than solid versions, but still give the benefit of less tranny movement. Probably the best of both worlds.

Kudos to a great little product.

Thanks! And you can also easily convert back to stock when you sell your car!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think any perceived increased stiffness on the street would indeed be imaginary; the high energy lateral and torsional loads when exiting a corner under full throttle is when I would expect to notice the benefit of increased stiffness in shifting.

Since this post have you experienced high lateral load track conditions, and if so, what is your impression? Seems like a good design, but interested in perceived product quality and verified benefit in track driven GT3's, thank you.

Originally Posted by Matrog
Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Transmission Mount Inserts were primarily developed as a performance additive, delivering improved shifting and handling by limiting excess drivetrain movement. They also fortified the failure prone OEM Transmission mount, which can be costly to replace, by filling the voids of the bushing to support and reestablish its original geometry. But the main drawback of the inserts was the added NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) transmitted into the cabin. And for that reason, we offered both the harder TRACK compound for ultimate performance and the softer STREET compound to mitigate some of the added NVH.

Several 997 owners, however, have requested an insert with even less NVH than the STREET version that would still renew their aging trans mount, so we set out to choose a compound that would strike a nice balance of comfort and restored performance. And following several rounds of successful testing, we’re now offering a solution for daily drivers - the SOFT (Orange) Transmission Mount Inserts.

So if you were intrigued by the benefits of the inserts, but you’ve been hesitant to try them because of the risk of increased NVH, the new SOFT Transmission Mount Inserts may be the “just right” solution for your daily driver!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For anyone considering adding this upgrade before their next upcoming track event in June/July, now is a good time to order.
(Our shop will be closed from June 5 thru July 10, so we won't be shipping any orders in that time period.)

Place your orders by this Thursday to make sure we can ship your items in time!!!

Quick Reply: 997 GT2/GT3 - Tighter handling and crisper, more precise shifting...