Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Cup - quick lap arround The Thermal Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Cup - quick lap arround The Thermal Club

Made the jump to a 2010 Cup. Spent last Friday with Craig Stanton and GMG learning the car and getting some solid instruction - put in 105 laps on The Thermal Club's south course. Support was provided by GMG throughout the day and data analysis was supported by GKSystems - It's amazing the amount of data the Motec system collects and makes available for analysis. GMG's support was first rate and made the day that much more enjoyable. The car is an amazing machine that proved to be rewarding when driven properly... The sequential box is hard to describe other than wow, wow, wow! If you ever get the chance to drive The Thermal Club its a first rate place - motorsports country club is the best description. Still have a ton to learn and will be doing another coaching session with Craig in the next month.

I'll post the blooper roll later it shows some fan favorites like "4 stalls trying to get out of the pits", "cold slicks and fast car make for some fun spins", and the ever patient coach saying "don't worry, you'll get it..."

Here's a quick video of my last solo session.

Cheers,
Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent Chris! You are knee deep into it and doing it right with coaching. No worry about the spin - that's part of learning. When I drove my Cup car for the first time I spun at every single turn because the shop forgot to connect the sway bar after setup and the brake bias was all the way on the ***. Now that's scary
Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my Cup in the kitty litter in turn 12 at Road America in my second session because the bias was all in the rear. Damn thing just would not stop. I'm sure you'll be clicking off good times in no time.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

GMG and Craig Stanton...wow grat combo!!!

Congrats on the cup car having been toying with the idea of buying one.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

Nice congrats
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats...they are a thrill to drive. What data system is that in the car?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Excellent Chris! You are knee deep into it and doing it right with coaching. No worry about the spin - that's part of learning. When I drove my Cup car for the first time I spun at every single turn because the shop forgot to connect the sway bar after setup and the brake bias was all the way on the ***. Now that's scary
Mike, not that I enjoy spinning but a spin in the RS would scare the crap out of me. This car didn't, not that I want to get complacent about it but the added safety features sure made it seem like I was less panicked and more in control of the situation - if there is such a thing...

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I put my Cup in the kitty litter in turn 12 at Road America in my second session because the bias was all in the rear. Damn thing just would not stop. I'm sure you'll be clicking off good times in no time.
The brake bias was one of the first things we checked into, everyone said its the one thing that gets new cup drivers...

Originally Posted by richk
GMG and Craig Stanton...wow grat combo!!!

Craig is an awesome guy, he's a fitness machine, and super patient in the car. I've been lucky with the instructors I've had but Craig is on a whole different level IMO. GMG has been supporting me with my RS and the support with the Cup was just as professional.

Congrats on the cup car having been toying with the idea of buying one.
I kept toying and toying, and decided it's now or never - if it's in the cards just do it...

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nice congrats
Thanks Peter! You know you want one...

Originally Posted by FLA997
Congrats...they are a thrill to drive. What data system is that in the car?
Data system is a Motec ADL3 tied to a Chase Cam Diva system
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Looks like a great track for learning your way around a Cup. Welcome to the club.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Cups are fantastic, welcome to the bottom of the slope
I drove the Thermal south course last year to help the Wilson's position the curbing, it was a fun day. I'm very happy to see it opened up for track days, last year they didn't think they were going to be doing that. I'd love to be able to take the cup out there especially as our winter house is only a few minutes away...

Quick Reply: New Cup - quick lap arround The Thermal Club