Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Salvaged 2008 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It will be cheaper finding a high mileage, accident-free GT3.

Repairing high end salvaged cars is not profitable unless you specialize in a particular model and have a solid business model. I see it time and time again when people bring high end salvage specials to my friend's shop for ECU updates. Most of the time the owners spent a year trying to find parts at bargain prices, another year chasing problems, only to sell at a loss.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM
mpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I realize that. That's why I said "if you decide to go that direction".
Oh, sorry.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they even took the shifter!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pimp my ride candidate
Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Like others have said before, rocker panel damage like that suggests tub movement. That's enough ground for me to run.

HOWEVER at $10k this may be a great way of getting a donor engine and spare tranny. If I were in the market for a 3.9/4.0/4.1L build this would be very interesting...
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Thanks I will stay away from this one, thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You gave up easily which tells me car isn't for you.

Can it be repaired... yes
Is it viable... only full costing of parts you know need doing plus allow 25% for those that you don't. Plus guide price from a decent body shop to jig and replace panels etc then align and paint.- Full strip and engine/gearbox removal not necessary.

The question is what's it worth to you and will you never sell?

For a track car its possibly a go and if you could never afford a 'good' example then this project might just get you into a dream car.

New tube like a stolen/stripped car or a water damaged car etc might get you all the parts etc you need...

Jay
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Just looked at interior shot, is the drivers seat twist? ... If so second hand shell required
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone above has nailed the number well.
With experience, I can tell you that 'if' you had a complete list of everything missing, you can go to a dealer and get a bulk purchase price - $50k in parts for $35.
You then add labor and $15k is a minimum including painting welding the rear quarter etc.

You may be able to do a bunch of the labor yourself - but if you are going to even think about $35k in parts (discounted), the car MUST go on a frame jij (MUST). To go a the gig, the engine and tranny have to come out - so now you have a disassembled car in a body shop on a 997 frame jij as your starting point - if you have the means to remove engine and tranny and leave in your garage and then have a rolling tub delivered to a body shop that owns a 997 frame jij to have it tested / documented and then while there do the cutting and welding of the rear quarter panel and then have that picked up, brought back to your garage for you to do all the mechanicals, then if the price is right and all the above is ok, then and only then maybe.

Also, with a crash like that, the airbags should have likely gone off (is my guess - unless it was a really weird one) - and that doesn't look to be the case? which is surprising - on this point alone, I would want a description of how this was possible because it shouldn't be - and the reason it is important is that you have to replace the dash if the passenger side airbag went off (that's another big ticket).

Think about it being an engine and tranny car from a price perspective.

A 997 with that kind of damage, if perfectly repaired and documented would be a $40-$45k car on re-sale - so dropping $50k is not generally a good idea

Last edited by 997gt3north; 09-17-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if tub is twisted and it requires to be stretched it is a not a good buy by any means.
otherwise if a good builder will confirm you there is not structural damage to the chassis then it can be a decent race car donor after it gets stripped and caged as you will not need outside panels anyway, will not need dash, airbags, etc.
only thing that matters is to find out where hit was and where is the damage.

I saw a race RS car that was hit in a similar way at my mechanic shop with whole front twisted and left side hub torn apart - his assessment for repair was in area of $55k.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ur20v
You gave up easily which tells me car isn't for you.

Can it be repaired... yes
Is it viable... only full costing of parts you know need doing plus allow 25% for those that you don't. Plus guide price from a decent body shop to jig and replace panels etc then align and paint.- Full strip and engine/gearbox removal not necessary.

The question is what's it worth to you and will you never sell?

For a track car its possibly a go and if you could never afford a 'good' example then this project might just get you into a dream car.

New tube like a stolen/stripped car or a water damaged car etc might get you all the parts etc you need...

Jay
I am not giving up, its just that if it was hit it has to go on a jig, there is no way of knowing if it was actually hit since copart.com does not let you see the car in person before you bid.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Side impact only sets of side and curtain airbags if hard enough and correct angle. Fronts won't go off.

bid up to the worth of parts and no more. Running engine $25k, gearbox $5k other spares and trim ~$5k so that's $35k very conservatively estimated values, you should still put money in the bank if you split

Jay

Quick Reply: Salvaged 2008 GT3