Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
I don't think Randy means WA lol!
If I remember correct it was cantrael?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone successfully found an option for lowering these, BESIDES the Tarrett option?
Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Also interested - are the Tarett side mounts no good? I'd like to sit a bit lower in my GT2 seats too!!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Tarett resells the Cantrell. Those that o know that use like them.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:59 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono809
Also interested - are the Tarett side mounts no good? I'd like to sit a bit lower in my GT2 seats too!!
Fitted them in my Cayman R, the drop is minimal and the seat belt mount points were poorly executed (for which read cheap) 5/10 maximum.
But the fault really lies with the seat design and its install. Lowered mounts is a Band Aid for a badly designed seat and install.
For a decent reduction in height, you'll need to lose the runners with all that entails ....
Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
Fitted them in my Cayman R, the drop is minimal and the seat belt mount points were poorly executed (for which read cheap) 5/10 maximum.
But the fault really lies with the seat design and its install. Lowered mounts is a Band Aid for a badly designed seat and install.
For a decent reduction in height, you'll need to lose the runners with all that entails ....
Thanks for letting me know, bit of a shame that they didn't get it spot on...Looks like there's enough room under the seat but sort of getting used to it now
Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jono809
Thanks for letting me know, bit of a shame that they didn't get it spot on...Looks like there's enough room under the seat but sort of getting used to it now
I'm 5,11" and 82kgs.
I fitted the lowered mounts but still stuggled with lower back pain and upper leg pain. Removing the base cushion and dropping a couple of folded towels into its place finally sorted the problem. Unfortunately the seat base isn't particularly flat once you've removed the base cushion, so whilst removing the cushion made the driving position comfortable, it didn't really make the seat itself comfortable.

The GT2 folding carbon backed buckets are exquisite to look at, but compared with the Mk 1/2/RS 996 bucket seats they're pretty hopeless as the base section of the seat shell is so "thick" that it precludes a really low mounting position. Great for bragging rights, not so good for practicality
Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
You're probably the first out of maybe 1/2 dozen I know that had these with these complaints. (All of them used in GT3s) did you read how much it lowers the seats its about an inch or so? And I'll agree, I don't like the GT2 seats, recaro pole position are much better, and will get much lower in the car.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
You're probably the first out of maybe 1/2 dozen I know that had these with these complaints. (All of them used in GT3s) did you read how much it lowers the seats its about an inch or so? And I'll agree, I don't like the GT2 seats, recaro pole position are much better, and will get much lower in the car.
A quick side by side comparison of the Tarrett items with the OE mounts (whilst the seat was still in the car) led me to believe the quoted height reduction wasn't particularly accurate. They do lower the seat, but I'd say 15mm maximum.

The seat shell is a poor design, the sides are neither flat nor parallel, which makes designing any aftermarket side mount brackets a PITA

I considered removing the runners, but removing the seat base cushion solved the issue for the few weeks I owned the car (I decided to sell the car before I got into sorting the seat mounting issue properly).

But it was clear that the seat could not be lowered any further either in the Tarrett side mounts or the OE side mounts, the only way to get a meaningful reduction in height was to remove the sliders and mount the side mounts directly to a set of floor mounted adaptors, be they self fabricated or those from GMG, BBi or Planted.

Porsche are normally very good with their seat placement, but they appeared to have dropped the ball with the GT2 seat design/mounting hardware A victory for the bean counters, not the engineers.

But I agree the Pole Position/SPG is a far better seat (and the 996 GT series seats, along with the 964/993 RS seats were all based on the Pole Position) funny that .....
Old 08-02-2017, 12:59 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Different strokes, I guess. I have the GT2 seats, and find the fit, the position and the size perfect. Ive sat in Spyerx's seats, and they are definitely lower (which is nice) but I've also sat in many other GT3's that have aftermarket seats and they feel higher than mine. It's all about the setup.

My main annoyance with any aftermarket setup is the low quality of the sliders. Every company uses the same slider and brands it as their own. I'd like to see a beefy, OEM quality slider paired with an aftermarket seat for the win.

Quick Reply: Help Required - Lowering Sport Bucket Seats