Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hard to find clean GT3's ? Rule 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 05:10 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Default Hard to find clean GT3's ? Rule 3

3 Rules: If the car has more then 3 check marks to these items, hard to get me interested unless it has gt2 buckets, low miles, cpo, at a great price.

-Missing any of the following keys ( Primary, Scendary, Vale Key)
-Missing Owners manual
-White body color
-Black body color
-Arctic silver body color
-Accident
-Hightly modified ( engine work etc) suspension bits are perfect.
-More then 5 owners
-Clutch replaced at to early of mileages. (sub 30k)
-Aftermarket stereo (yes I have seen these!)
-To many swirl marks on the paint

I really do not mind miles on the car as long as the car is cleaned. Ideally I would like to be 2nd owner of the car ...I do not mind track miles as long as it was taken care of.... but it seems like many gt3's are hard to find to what I consider clean, or em i being to picky ?

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 08-26-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:03 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

must have somehow missed rules 1 and 2, would you mind sharing those?
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

too picky
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:08 PM
RAPID
Racer

PDK?
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:29 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

be patient. My search was over a year.

I agree-- for my hard earned money-- I want what I want-- the color must be something as one member put it "a color you'd find in a pack of Skittles". My search was for red or yellow. It to seemed that everything I'd see was silver/black/white. In my local region at our last DE at the Glen I counted a dozen white one-- so that wiped out white as an option.

I too was a bit worried about the miles, but was lucky and found one that was very well maintained.
And one that had been modified and set up exactly the way i wanted one to be-- without going to far.

As far as the aftermarket stereos-- what happened to that industry? You need a Phd in electrical engineering to figure out just how to change a radio station. I can't read the 3 point font that is used on the buttons-- and a flipping remote? for a car?

Wishing Apple would devise a user interface for in-car systems. Kenwood/Pioneer/etc must not ever actually drive and try to operate the complexity of thee systems while driving.

The nicest GT3's I've seen for sale tend to pop up on rennlist.

Keep watching.
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:52 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Let me clarify... if it has more then 3 of the things i listed... i lose interest in the car.

I want all 3 keys, owners manual, no more then 1 owner ideally etc.

But everything i find.. cars only have 1 key, no manual books, accidents...all are white or black ...over 5 owners typically. Clutch replaced under 30k... leads me to believe the person cant shift.

Its like geez...

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
must have somehow missed rules 1 and 2, would you mind sharing those?
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
too picky

Originally Posted by RAPID
PDK?
Funny guy!! Not interested in the PDK at this time..

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
be patient. My search was over a year.

I agree-- for my hard earned money-- I want what I want-- the color must be something as one member put it "a color you'd find in a pack of Skittles". My search was for red or yellow. It to seemed that everything I'd see was silver/black/white. In my local region at our last DE at the Glen I counted a dozen white one-- so that wiped out white as an option.

I too was a bit worried about the miles, but was lucky and found one that was very well maintained.
And one that had been modified and set up exactly the way i wanted one to be-- without going to far.

As far as the aftermarket stereos-- what happened to that industry? You need a Phd in electrical engineering to figure out just how to change a radio station. I can't read the 3 point font that is used on the buttons-- and a flipping remote? for a car?

Wishing Apple would devise a user interface for in-car systems. Kenwood/Pioneer/etc must not ever actually drive and try to operate the complexity of thee systems while driving.

The nicest GT3's I've seen for sale tend to pop up on rennlist.

Keep watching.

All I see is bad example's of cars out there with people asking riduculous amount of money.

There is a rennlister here whom has a yellow one, that has 5x, miles and i'm more interested in that one (since one can smell /tell when a car has been taken care of ) then low 2x, mile cars as they have way to many items checked on the list from above....
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:55 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

If i had my way.

My perfect car:

Cobalt blue / Guards Red/ SY
PCCB's
Yellow seat belts
gt2 buckets
alcantara steering wheel / shifter
no sunroof
all 3 keys
owners manual
no accidents
less then 3 previous owners
no swirls in paint ( I hate swirls)
perfect interior ( I hate fked up interior)

sub 45k miles on it.

I'm not asking for to much right ?
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:09 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

There was an 07 or 08 don't recall exactly that sold about a month or two ago at a Texas Porsche dealer that fit your list perfectly. But I haven't seen many like that in my search for the past 6 months or so
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:11 PM
512bb
Drifting

I agree with all the points, but I have a bit of an issue with:

"-Clutch replaced at to early of mileages. (sub 30k)"

On a Porsche, if the clutch has been replaced or has issues it indicates a much bigger problem for me and warrants digging much deeper as these clutches are bullet proof.
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:12 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

You're a little particular so to speak

It's easy to make swirls disappear. You just need a clay bar, a buffer and the right combination of compounds and pads. It will probably take half a day to get the car sparkly shiny back to the factory shape.

You just have to know what has been done to the car and that the clear coat is think enough to endure cutting/polishing
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:20 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Just a matter of being patient, but as the years go on, the harder it will get without having to compromise somewhere.

For example, when I bought my car 2 years ago, by your criteria there would be 0 check marks. Im the 3rd owner, but the 2nd owner was a friend of mine who needed a car for a short time while waiting for his 458 to come in, so we knew going in that I would be taking the car off his hands so essentially he got a car that I would be happy with, since it was going to be mine after 6 months.
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:51 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Patience sure, it took me 18 months to find my perfect car (though I was serious only last 6). But it also kept getting harder. I started looking in 2011 2nd half. Back then, in the Porsche USA website there used to be at least 20 .2 GT3s and 10 .2 RSes then any given day. Towards end of 2012 that dwindled to probably 10 .2 GT3s and 3-4 .2 RSes. Last week it was down to 5 .2 GT3s and no RSes except that one 199k PTS one.
Old 08-26-2013 | 08:05 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Not sure about the keys being an issue - thats an easy fix. Would have to think owners manual could be sourced as well. Do agree that you have to like the color - very subjective but important. Most importantly is the overall condition - get it CPOd.
Old 08-26-2013 | 08:12 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Speeds5
There was an 07 or 08 don't recall exactly that sold about a month or two ago at a Texas Porsche dealer that fit your list perfectly. But I haven't seen many like that in my search for the past 6 months or so
Darn. I was not in the market until my Turbo had to leave unexpected. Or else I would not be in the hunt.

Originally Posted by 512bb
I agree with all the points, but I have a bit of an issue with:

"-Clutch replaced at to early of mileages. (sub 30k)"

On a Porsche, if the clutch has been replaced or has issues it indicates a much bigger problem for me and warrants digging much deeper as these clutches are bullet proof.
Exactly. If it has the clutch replaced sub 30k miles, i think the owner is having issues with shifting hence... ehhh walk with causion.

Originally Posted by sin911
You're a little particular so to speak

It's easy to make swirls disappear. You just need a clay bar, a buffer and the right combination of compounds and pads. It will probably take half a day to get the car sparkly shiny back to the factory shape.

You just have to know what has been done to the car and that the clear coat is think enough to endure cutting/polishing
Swirl marks. Its a testament on how well the previous owner treated her. My TT had 95k miles... you would be hard press finding swirl marks in the paint. Yes that ****. You would see an inch layer of dust on it waiting for the next detail, but no swirl marks.

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Just a matter of being patient, but as the years go on, the harder it will get without having to compromise somewhere.

For example, when I bought my car 2 years ago, by your criteria there would be 0 check marks. Im the 3rd owner, but the 2nd owner was a friend of mine who needed a car for a short time while waiting for his 458 to come in, so we knew going in that I would be taking the car off his hands so essentially he got a car that I would be happy with, since it was going to be mine after 6 months.

Lucky you...i need to get a friend like yours... mooty, start ordering a colors on your gt3's please!

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Patience sure, it took me 18 months to find my perfect car (though I was serious only last 6). But it also kept getting harder. I started looking in 2011 2nd half. Back then, in the Porsche USA website there used to be at least 20 .2 GT3s and 10 .2 RSes then any given day. Towards end of 2012 that dwindled to probably 10 .2 GT3s and 3-4 .2 RSes. Last week it was down to 5 .2 GT3s and no RSes except that one 199k PTS one.
I have no patience.

Originally Posted by brake dust
Not sure about the keys being an issue - thats an easy fix. Would have to think owners manual could be sourced as well. Do agree that you have to like the color - very subjective but important. Most importantly is the overall condition - get it CPOd.
The keys to me is again, a symbol of care. I have all keys original (2 or 3) keys issued at purchase of car.. except for the cars i'm meh about.

Hell I replace the key bezel just because it gets to greasy.
Old 08-26-2013 | 08:19 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Urgent !
I have a yellow 10 gt3
I am the original owner
I only have TWO keys......wtf ?

Quick Reply: Hard to find clean GT3's ? Rule 3