Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Initial Review : MCS 2 Way non-reservoir Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 AM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Initial Review : MCS 2 Way non-reservoir Suspension

Installed (2 days ago) a set of suspension from MCS for my 2007 GT3RS - here are my initial early impressions.

The communications prior to ordering was excellent (my point of contact was Jerome Van Gool) - he was very patient in answering all the queries and were helpful in recommending the system to suit my particular needs. (daily driver with occasional DE 4-6x per year + B-road drives with the local club). He was not pushy at all and we decided on the new MCS 2 way non-reservoir shocks that was quite a bit cheaper than the version with the reservoirs. Spring rates are 80kg/cm front 30kg/cm helper and 120kg/cm rear 30kg/cm helper.

After the order was made - they took about a month to manufacture and procure the springs, payment was made just before shipment of the suspension.

The shipping (to Singapore) was relatively fast and the contents were very well packed and protected against shipping damages.

The suspension needed to be assembled as it was shipped as individual components and as I assembled the suspension I forwarded a pic to Jerome who promptly pointed out that there were missing lock rings (the package was short of 2 lock rings), email communication was prompt and Jerome priority shipped 2 lock rings to me on the next business day.

During installation of the shocks - it was noted by my mechanic that the oem bolts for the rear lower shock mounting point were too short (as the MCS items were quite a bit thicker) - I forwarded a pic to Jerome who was prompt to offer some solutions (there were some recent redesign of the rear shocks and they forgot to include longer bolts) - I tried to source the longer bolts locally while Jerome priority shipped the required bolts over.

After installation & setting the ride height (105 front 125 rear) and alignment. (ARB stock 997.1 GT3 RS - front middle, rear stiffest). On first drive impression - car feels a lot more controlled, stable and flat, definitely feels more confident placing the car. Stability was fantastic for both slow and fast corners, steering was incisive. Overall - extremely satisfied on the handling improvement at the stock recommended damper settings.

Ride comfort was acceptable (wife was ok with it too) - just slightly more bouncy? bumpy? but perfectly ok.

Only fly in the ointment was the presence of a knocking / rattling sound from both front and rears over more bumpy sections of the road. Jerome was quick to suggest increasing the rebound damping which reduced the noise somewhat but is not ideal as a long term solution, i am wondering if its the springs that's rattling on the spring seats that's causing the noise. The helper springs are fully compressed at static height and slightly compressed at full droop. At full droop I can shift the main springs slightly with my hands and that does produce some noise. Jerome reassured me that that's the spring and tophat combo that they have been using and that had not been an issue with noise, so he does not think that's the cause. He is of opinion that the noise is not usual and is working hard to help me resolve this issue - even to the extent of suggesting sending a new set of suspension over.

On the whole I am very satisfied with the communications and after sales support of MCS, as well as the handling improvement over the stock PASM shocks. Hopefully I can resolve the noise issue soon and I am pretty confident that MCS will do whatever they can to that end.

her shann
Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that converts to Spring rate 450/670 in #s with 167# helpers

I like the Front choice for your needs / mostly street setup with a few track days, but I think slightly more in the rear 700-750 might match the character of the front 'better' - but you can easily change that if your wife doesn't notice.

Maybe add some zero rate helper springs (very very low rate) or taller tenders to prevent the springs from unseating - I would 'think' that is your sound.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And now get to the track ASAP
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

do u have a ball,bearing thrust. plate bn helper and main springs?
is the drop,linx all tight?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 PM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
do u have a ball,bearing thrust. plate bn helper and main springs?
is the drop,linx all tight?
There is an aluminum spring coupler plate between the helper and main springs (non bearing). Other than the possible movement of the main spring at full droop - looks like all other things are tight, I may ask my mechanic to look over once again.

There is slight tension on the helper at full droop, so I doubt a zero rate helper will help?

her shann
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is it possible that your definition of full droop stationary with the car jacked up and possibly the tire removed isn't actually full droop when the car's wheel is installed and has momentum from a bumpy road and actual real full droop unloads the springs entirely?

can you take a picture of the of the top and bottom spring perches / hat areas

recheck that they tightened the sway bars end links
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the drop link ends again. They can make that noise even when they look tight but are not.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:07 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my '08 RS, it came with Moton single-adjustable non-reservoir shocks. Seems like those are pretty similar to what you have.

There was an annoying rattle from the LF on bumpy roads, similar to what you describe. It thought that it was in the sway bar or drop links, but it wasn't. Eventually, it was traced to improper assembly of the spherical bearing in the camber plate at the top of the strut. The spherical bearings are always going to be noisier than the rubber bushings in the stock struts. After careful reassembly, there is still an occasional minor noise from the strut on bumpy roads, but nothing on smooth roads or on the track.

Here's a simple way to test whether it's in the strut or the sway bar: Disconnect the sway bar drop links and drive the car. If it still rattles, it's in the strut. If it stops, it's either the sway bar drop links or mounts.

Hope you find it!

Jon

Quick Reply: Initial Review : MCS 2 Way non-reservoir Suspension