Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: Any Golf or Jetta Sportwagon TDI owners here

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info here guys !

Thank you very much for all of you chiming in.

On a side note, even though I wouldn't like to buy another BMW, I took Serge's advice and drove a 328D Station wagon Today and is really nice. Car is big, finish is really good, but all of them are Xdrive, which is a nice system. I remember doing the launch of the X3 which was the first BMW to have the Xdrive. It drives like a RWD car as the bias is or used to be 68/32 and at high speed mainly RWD and completely variable from there. Not that we need Xdrive in Florida, but it is what it is.
Initial price is 42K without options, and about 55K with all the options and M package, which I consider pretty steep for a entry level car.
No decision made yet, most likely will go to BMW next week and check prices inventory options etc...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by The Greek
Ironically looking at same car for work. Love the TDI, but in terms of options, they really dont offer any. Might just get the GTI instead.
What options does the GTI has that the TDI doesn't ?
I agree that they could be a little bit more interesting. On a side note I found the Jetta Wagon to have a nicer interior than the Golf TDI.
Looks like a new body style is coming next year ?
This is something to consider specially because there is a new engine also like the one on the GTD
Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
What options does the GTI has that the TDI doesn't ?
I agree that they could be a little bit more interesting. On a side note I found the Jetta Wagon to have a nicer interior than the Golf TDI.
Looks like a new body style is coming next year ?
This is something to consider specially because there is a new engine also like the one on the GTD
HI M3 EvoBR,

I can only recommend like someone else here the audi a 3 tdi..why? its the closest to a GT3-GT2 (in terms of being direct) small car I have driven ..its way better than an A1, 1-series, Mercs etc.

Drive and you will see..
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Just keep the C63 and steal gas.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 PM
ttdan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, for me, to see a thread on a GT forum talking about diesel golfs in the USA.

My daily driver is a 2007 GTi (toy car is a.2 RS) and i just love the golf. Even though mine is a petrol 2.0 TFSI and has the k04 turbo engine at 230 ish stock bhp. A chip gets it to circa 300 pretty easily.

The hatchback golf sells by the gazillion in Europe because its such a superb all rounder, has done for years. The diesel versions are just getting better and better. i drove a mk7 1.6 tdi last week and while is wasn't fast by Porsche standards it was refined, comfortable, well specced and amazingly frugal.

I assume the US market is waking up to diesel as a fuel and also the golf hatch as a superb all rounder?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Just to give an update here guys,

I bit my tongue bit time. Drove the 328D wagon and really liked the car, price still a little on the high side, but you get some decent standard equipment.
I ended up buying a 328D sedan for my wife and decided to keep my Touareg TDI for a little longer.
We chose a metallic grey with M package and little options, besides full leather and a few other little things.
Car is really impressive and now I'm suffering for a 328D Wagon for myself. I still managed to get 36PMG at over 100 MPH over a 20 mile course. It's easy to stay in the 40-50 range if you drive like a normal human being on the highway. Car is actually pretty quick for the power, enough room inside and drives great. I don't like the electric steering, but no choice there, overall pretty happy with the choice and looking forward for a second one. Now I just wish they would fit the 6 cyl diesel on the 5 series and in wagon.

PS: Just for comparison purposes we also drove the 328i as the difference in price doesn't really justify the diesel. It would take us about 3 years of driving to pay for the difference. The difference is so big that my wife barely left the parking lot with the petrol car, she's coming out of a C63 AMG, so you can imagine the frustration when you step on the gas and nothing happens.
The driving experience with the diesel car is well worth the delta, as well as not having to go to the gas station every week.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Are they dealing at all on the 328d where you are? I'm really interested in the 328d wagon, but MSRP with a few options is higher than what I paid for my loaded 2011 X5d (and higher than what I paid for my E46 M3 when new). Price has kept me out of the showroom so far...over $50k is too hard to justify for a 4-cylinder diesel.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

My DD for the past 12 years have been TT's...an '01 6TT from '01-'07 and then an '07 7TT from '07-until 5 months ago...in March of this year I bought a new '13 Passat TDI SEL! And WOW!!!!!! What an awesome car! Amazing fuel economy! I get 45-50mpg consistently and I am at 16,800 miles!!

I am in love with this boring, gutless, and soulless car...the best car I have ever owned! (yes, I said it in a public forum...)

I have many other cars, but I don't drive them anymore...I would highly recommend the Passat TDI...FE is awesome! Ride is awesome! NVH is awesome! Lots of legroom, big trunk, ...

Eddie, PM me if any Q's...
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

If VW sold the Passat Alltrack TDI here, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Perfect utility vehicle for me.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Are they dealing at all on the 328d where you are? I'm really interested in the 328d wagon, but MSRP with a few options is higher than what I paid for my loaded 2011 X5d (and higher than what I paid for my E46 M3 when new). Price has kept me out of the showroom so far...over $50k is too hard to justify for a 4-cylinder diesel.
Yes, they don't stay in the parking lot. I spec'ed one the way I want, with few options and it was about 52-53, pretty steep, but the car is really nice.
Did you really pay about 50K for a X5D ?
Jezzz I was just offered a 2013 LOADED even with 3rd row seat for 57K and that's with 10K off.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Igooz
My DD for the past 12 years have been TT's...an '01 6TT from '01-'07 and then an '07 7TT from '07-until 5 months ago...in March of this year I bought a new '13 Passat TDI SEL! And WOW!!!!!! What an awesome car! Amazing fuel economy! I get 45-50mpg consistently and I am at 16,800 miles!!

I am in love with this boring, gutless, and soulless car...the best car I have ever owned! (yes, I said it in a public forum...)

I have many other cars, but I don't drive them anymore...I would highly recommend the Passat TDI...FE is awesome! Ride is awesome! NVH is awesome! Lots of legroom, big trunk, ...

Eddie, PM me if any Q's...
Wow, that's impressive. Tks for the review. In my case I need a wagon, so my options are the Jetta (which is more like a MKVI golf) or a 328D for 50K.
In reality the 328D in America is the 320D in Europe, but here we have a lot of options only available on the 328D in europe and most likely because no one would buy a 320 in the USA...
Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

It really sucks that the American market doesn't like Station wagons. They make a lot more sense than sedans and also SUVs, if you don't tow. Not to say they are so COOL looking.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

MSRP on my X5d was $63-64k, but after incentives, negotiation, and BMWCCA rebate it was $49k. This was December 2010.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

That's a massive discount, but yes now I remember that's BMW has a 5K eco credit on top.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
That would be a good option for sure, but unfortunately I don't buy BMWs anymore. Had every single M car and also different ones, and also worked for the factory for a few years, completely disappointed with the brand.
Does Crow taste good.

Peter

Quick Reply: OT: Any Golf or Jetta Sportwagon TDI owners here