Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What options do you think are mandatory for a 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What options do you think are mandatory for a 997.2 GT3

I am lasering the target on a 997.2 GT3 purchase and educating myself on the market for options. This will be a 99% street car. Maybe a DE in its future, but not more. Spirited weekend driving.

I researched some older threads and I find that the following options seem to be of the most interest -- front axle lift, dynamic engine mounts, sport buckets.

It seems like people could take or leave the NAV and sound stuff. And that there is a visceral negative reaction to the Sport Chrono option.

As I finalize between a couple cars, one has some of the desireables, but also the Sport Chrono. The other is a base model.

Just trying to gauge what future purchasers value most. I am buying the car for me, not someone else, and this is just one variable... but education and transparency in research is key in my experience.

thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Sport seats, if the car does not have them GT3DE is selling a pair.
BBS
Harness - roll bar
PFC pads
Srf brake fluid
Side muffler delete

That's about is.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCCB in good condition will bring value
Front axle lift is a plus depending where you live
Nav could be a plus as well as the sound system
Sport buckets
I believe everything else is pretty much personal choice.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sport seats, if the car does not have them GT3DE is selling a pair.
BBS
Harness - roll bar
PFC pads
Srf brake fluid
Side muffler delete

That's about is.

It's for street - he does not new all that stuff!

Even for street i would say you should get the sport bucket seats, they are plenty comfy
Ceramic brakes are nice. I have lift and almost never use it even for street driving
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by drl
It's for street - he does not new all that stuff!

Even for street i would say you should get the sport bucket seats, they are plenty comfy
Ceramic brakes are nice. I have lift and almost never use it even for street driving
English is his second language as well

I'm with you on this one, but I found the lift pretty useful around here in FL. Miss this on the GT2 now.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The negative reaction to wart is primarily about the revulsion of having to pay for it. If it don't cost you extra, then there is no harm (it does enable some data logging capabilities in the pcm but not very useful). Adds 2 pounds of weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
The negative reaction to wart is primarily about the revulsion of having to pay for it. If it don't cost you extra, then there is no harm (it does enable some data logging capabilities in the pcm but not very useful). Adds 2 pounds of weight.
Right. And disturbed clean line of the dashboard but it would not bother me enough to sway me either way.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Better without it, but def. not deal breaker AT ALL.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, please keep the info coming. The owner of the "wart" car is a Rennlister (I am quite sure he is lurking and reading this which I expected ). I can already tell I would feel great buying from him.

But there is one competing CPO car, same year, lower mileage, same'ish price, but base car with no options. To be honest, I am not sure if I care about any of these options - the axle lift, engine mounts, PCM, etc. I would actually be fine with the base car. Just not sure if others will feel that way down the road. On an RS, I know its actually preferred by some to have zero options, but not sure about a street GT3. For me, the car comes with anything you would really want (pretty easy to add the sport seats), but I may be in the minority.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the street skip the GT3, buy a Carrera S or Turbo instead.

If you were planning to get a GT3 to use it for what it was built for: Sport Buckets and Dynamic Engine Mounts. Everything else is a luxury.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I would actually be fine with the base car. Just not sure if others will feel that way down the road. On an RS, I know its actually preferred by some to have zero options, but not sure about a street GT3. For me, the car comes with anything you would really want (pretty easy to add the sport seats), but I may be in the minority.
Nope, you're not in the minority. Don't get me wrong, there are some buyers who do want options, but from what I've read here I think most either don't care or actually prefer no options.

I chuckle when I see GT3 for sale ads that specifically say they are asking for more money because of options.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Just for the street skip the GT3, buy a Carrera S or Turbo instead.

If you were planning to get a GT3 to use it for what it was built for: Sport Buckets and Dynamic Engine Mounts. Everything else is a luxury.
have driven both the Carrera S and turbo extensively, they dont do it for me the way the air cooled cars do... I am looking for something more raw that will approximate those experiences, and coming from the AMG Black Series, pedestrian will not suffice now . May do a DE, etc.

I buy into an RS being a track only car, but sorry I think the 7-GT3s were also meant for weekend spirited driving. I know that opinions vary on that.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd say a steering wheel and anything after that is gravy

But seriously... I agonized over options when looking for cars. After two years of ownership, based on it being a street car only:

Musts:
- CPO or other aftermarket warranty: My car has been in for a couple of somewhat minor repairs. I think the bill from the dealer would have been $10K

- Sound Package and Nav. I've put 16K miles on my car in 2 years and these were the two options I had to have. Sure, you could do aftermarket sound and nav but I like the integration a lot and it makes for fun exploration of back roads. For those who say "all you need is the sound of the exhaust", I'm guessing you haven't spent 2hrs+ on a boring straight road before.

Great if it has them:
- Axle Lift: Nice but more weight and something else to break later on
- PDEM: I've said it before and I'll say it again (especially on a street car) it's over rated. Semi solid mounts will do the job for 1/4 the price and won't break later.
- PCCB: less weight and you'll probably never need to replace the rotors. Steels work just fine though.

- Sport buckets: I'm a big guy and was worried they would be painful. My car came with heated sports seats and the only thing I miss in the buckets is the heat. I can always swap back. The buckets are awesome and comfortable. In the "great" category since you can easily add to a car that doesn't have them.

Who cares:
- Sport chrono. Mine has it. Never use it.
- Crazy personalized interiors

The car is crazy great. Find one that ticks the boxes for you and pull the trigger quick.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

You will find mixed reviews for this matter, but I think you can live with a GT3 even a DD car, if that's what you want, just do it... great cars for sure.
I sold my RS a few months back to jump to a GT2 as I was retiring the RS from track duty, and I have to say that the GT2 is a great street car, and if you will most likely drive it on the streets the few comfort items may help you on the long run. I find myself driving the 2 all the time even to run errands for work, bottom line the difference between both is torque and power, so yes, my opinion is that a GT3 for road use is totally livable, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,811 Likes on 2,381 Posts

sport bucket seat, that is it.
but it's YOUR car.
if it was mine, i would pay a lot more 20-30k more for zero option cars.
the only reason i sold my gray RS was b/c it had front lift. i see that button on the console, i start cussing. i get angry, i start foaming at my lips, then i end up in ER. after few visits, i thought selling the car would be cheaper than keep visiting the ER.

one of my .1GT3 hard wart. thougtht i can deal with it. bought it, 48 hours later, sold at big loss. it made my right eye bleed.

YMMV.

zero option FTMFW

Quick Reply: What options do you think are mandatory for a 997.2 GT3