Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would 997 GT3 be worth more or less in 10yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
where did the 20% down come from? Did it fall out of the sky?
It came from savings and investment income, but even if you include the lost opportunity cost of that capital (call it 10% returns a year on it)...the lost opportunity costs + cost to own < cost to rent. It's also a bit of an investment and way for me to diversify my asset classes.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome thread, I didn't expect that much response...

Overall, 100% agreed GT3 is NOT an investment, no matter what... but, curious to know with all new cars being different and 997 GT3 being the last gen of the analog sports cars, would it hold value better than let's say a 997 Carrera S?

The main reason to ask is whether or not I should I sell my Carrera and get into a GT3 and keep it for 10-15yrs, assuming it'd have LESS of a depreciation than the Carrera, AND enjoying all of the glorious benefits of GT3, or just age this damn Carrera and whenever it's no longer enjoyable, get into the next car whatever it might be!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
What % of GT3 or Porsches in general ever see an Autocross/DE?
Or at least how many are consistently driven over 4K RPM instead of sitting at
0.0 RPMs as a showpiece in the garage?
Porsche as a brand has been a poseur's delight for a l ong time now.
But I get your meaning, it will be more obvious with an automatic GT3.
Actually I think the number is higher than you think. Just mostly because it's a loud, hard to drive, heavy clutch manual car, and quite raw. Hence, the poseurs typically buy Turbo (how many of those do you see on track?). Almost every track junkie I know who starts with a Golf, then a Cayman, Carrera, ends up with GT3 if they can afford one.

This is actually EXACTLY why 991 GT3 is now offered only in PDK, more refined, heavier, etc... to attract the Poseur types who in the past skipped GT3, and I BET many more who never considered old GT3 (how many even know how to drive a stick?), would get one now.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Overall, 100% agreed GT3 is NOT an investment, no matter what... but, curious to know with all new cars being different and 997 GT3 being the last gen of the analog sports cars, would it hold value better than let's say a 997 Carrera S?

The main reason to ask is whether or not I should I sell my Carrera and get into a GT3 and keep it for 10-15yrs, assuming it'd have LESS of a depreciation than the Carrera, AND enjoying all of the glorious benefits of GT3, or just age this damn Carrera and whenever it's no longer enjoyable, get into the next car whatever it might be!
u didn't pose the right question
based on what you just said, here is a very simple answer
dump your car
suffer the loss
buy gT3 (you are keeping it 10-15 yrs)
it will for certain depreciate less than 997s, assuming same usage and mileage.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

buy gT3 (you are keeping it 10-15 yrs)
it will for certain depreciate less than 997s, assuming same usage and mileage.
Betting it will depreciate less than 991 as well.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

In the car world there are few and far between that could be considered "investments"

The GT3 will hold value and depreciate less then the carrera. So in terms of keeping a 997 for 15 years it would be much better of the two.

The 997 carrera S however will last you 15 years as a comfortable daily driver so it all comes down to what 997 suits your needs today as opposed to where it will end up in value 15 years from now.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 770 Posts

I sold my '07GT3 for 76K in March 2010 with 17K miles on it. No options, very little mods.
I think its almost worth the same today?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$76k is about where it's at. The market has been supply constrained for a while. This time next year when a few 991 GT3s have entered the market as pre-owned cars, there will be a correction in 997 GT3 prices.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
$76k is about where it's at. The market has been supply constrained for a while. This time next year when a few 991 GT3s have entered the market as pre-owned cars, there will be a correction in 997 GT3 prices.
Agreed. I'm hoping i can negotiate a deal with that depression in effect when the new gt3 arrives vs waiting awhile. I can't be Porscheless to long.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

You meant the 997 ones will go up, right?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

it is a car that I can't find anything that I want to replace it with. Great car and think I will hold onto it as long as I can!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:19 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bullitt44
it is a car that I can't find anything that I want to replace it with. Great car and think I will hold onto it as long as I can!
I don't own the car. I will soon. Sounds like a great car. I'm sure i will not be disappoint. That said, i'm looking for a good deal because i plan to DD it unlike most owners.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:51 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I think the number is higher than you think. Just mostly because it's a loud, hard to drive, heavy clutch manual car, and quite raw. Hence, the poseurs typically buy Turbo (how many of those do you see on track?). Almost every track junkie I know who starts with a Golf, then a Cayman, Carrera, ends up with GT3 if they can afford one.

This is actually EXACTLY why 991 GT3 is now offered only in PDK, more refined, heavier, etc... to attract the Poseur types who in the past skipped GT3, and I BET many more who never considered old GT3 (how many even know how to drive a stick?), would get one now.
Well a PDK GT3 will always be the quickest GT3. So I don't think reeling in poseurs its primarily why VW went with this take it or leave it proposition. It's complicated... And me personally, I think if VW is telling me up front and pre-purchase that I can go pound sand if my engine goes kaboom wile at the track, I might be more inclined to go with the the set up that will better look after a $90K engine. I tend to make mistakes now and then.

Also, stiff heavy cltuch, scraping on evertything and loud noises is why a poseur may put little miles on their car. But given the decent sales of the GT3's I find it hard to think that a high perecentage are making even one autox/DE appearance. My thinking is that if you've done it once, you're doing it now. And we know most of these cars are like a $5K mountain bike that mostly sits in the garage with few diversions into their natural habitat.

Last edited by perfectlap; 08-22-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

my guess is price goes up once buyers see the cost differential
I didn't like .1 gt3
but fir the money, that's THE car to get
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

. Hence, the poseurs typically buy Turbo (how many of those do you see on track?).

Seriously ?
I did take my turbo to the track, poseur ? yeah i posse at the track with pics to post on fb.

turbo is a great car with vast of higher potential when modded right compare to a gt3...

i dont want to spend my time modding, i stopped caring about lap times hence a gt3.

If you want to be the fastest and not mod, get a gt2. If you want to be the fastest on the road, go to tahoe , take kids to school and kick *** at the track. turbo all day.

if you want to tell your wife in a passive way no kids yet pls, but want a hardcore ride that no need to mod, get a gt3.

Quick Reply: Would 997 GT3 be worth more or less in 10yrs?