Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would 997 GT3 be worth more or less in 10yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 752 Posts

I never had a job, so I am ahead of the curve?
I'm lucky to have my dog because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Why do you think there is no financial education in our school systems? They teach nothing about money..
as well as supplying ready made customers for the credit card industry.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I know anyone who made money selling cars at Monterey. Absolutely. I personally know 3 sellers who made (net after hold costs) over $100k per car they sold. All Porsches. The longest hold time was 3 years. Investments? Yes.

Cars (some cars) like art are an asset class in themselves. I heard the term 'kinetic art' more than once.

Your points about investments=cash flow is certainly valid.

Ones home being a liability is also the truth. Paying off your home is one of the easiest ways to 'make money'. How? Aside from the increased cash flow from not making an interest payment you are no longer paying the interest!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
as well as supplying ready made customers for the credit card industry.
LMFAO
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
Do I know anyone who made money selling cars at Monterey. Absolutely. I personally know 3 sellers who made (net after hold costs) over $100k per car they sold. All Porsches. The longest hold time was 3 years. Investments? Yes.!
absolutely, just not often. i am still learning. if i can make 100k on a car, i think i have found a job i actually like. not poking on you, just speak my heart.

Cars (some cars) like art are an asset class in themselves. I heard the term 'kinetic art' more than once.!
correct, but i referred to this class of assets as art. it's no longer "cars" at least in my definition. car to me should take me from A to B with some excitement and maybe 3-5000 miles a year min.

Your points about investments=cash flow is certainly valid. !

Ones home being a liability is also the truth. Paying off your home is one of the easiest ways to 'make money'. How? Aside from the increased cash flow from not making an interest payment you are no longer paying the interest!
general theory is right, but it's way too complex in real life.
tax write off
int rate
the true ability to really pay off homes (SF, silicon valley in particular) is not likely. a home under $3MM is just a home. the AFFLUENT mansion here are $15MM above, just to start. so yes, the big tech guys pays them off. but most simply can't.

but i undertand your point. in fact, i think you, clarke and i are in agreement just some terminology difference.

great topic to discuss in the trailer in between track session.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting discussion here..should be continued after a track event with a beer..for me two things - as already mentioned before - are the key elements:

1. yes, you can earn money on a car..Mclaren F1, F40, 2,7RS..are just perfect examples. If you would have bought a Mclaren F1 7 years ago, there is NO WAY you would have lost money on it..even if you deduct taxes, maintenance whatever. Of course, these cars should not be driven..in order to keep its miles as low as possible. 2.7RS, same story, no way you could have lost money on it since 7 years..impossible. These cars are "investments"..at least for the people who buy them..or most of them..again "portfolio diversification". Investment banks even offer "car funds"..and their return rates are higher than many other funds!!. But all this here applies to a niche market for cars..

2. A normal GT3 is unlikely to be one day in the case 1 I described above, we know that. Here GT3DE´s comments are fully valid..which means there are vaild fpr 99,99% of the cases..unless you bought that 2.7RS 7 years ago, or a Mclaren F1 and just "liquidated" them at Monterey..

Lets enjoy our GT3, GT2s and lets be happy that we are not witnessing depreciation rates of 7 series or other junk..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if i can make 100k on a car, i think i have found a job i actually like..
and a job with a resurgent performance record...beating the pants off wine and violins:

http://www.economist.com/news/financ...nsurate-fruits

^ Which probably means its in a bubble...if you're outperforming the Stradivarius 500 index you know smart money has cashed in already.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector

1. yes, you can earn money on a car..Mclaren F1, F40, 2,7RS..are just perfect examples. If you would have bought a Mclaren F1 7 years ago, there is NO WAY you would have lost money on it..even if you deduct taxes, maintenance whatever. Of course, these cars should not be driven..in order to keep its miles as low as possible. 2.7RS, same story, no way you could have lost money on it since 7 years..impossible. These cars are "investments"..at least for the people who buy them..or most of them..again "portfolio diversification". Investment banks even offer "car funds"..and their return rates are higher than many other funds!!. But all this here applies to a niche market for cars.
Yes, but did you make money from hard work and acumen or because the Fed poured unprecedented stimulus into the system? Was that investing or speculating?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm about to post 100 dog pictures
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll start...

Name:  image-982949292.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  512.3 KB
Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

awww
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Do I know anyone who made money selling cars at Monterey. Absolutely. I personally know 3 sellers who made (net after hold costs) over $100k per car they sold. All Porsches. The longest hold time was 3 years. Investments? Yes.

Cars (some cars) like art are an asset class in themselves. I heard the term 'kinetic art' more than once.

Your points about investments=cash flow is certainly valid.

The sellers at the auction -- how much did they lose on the other cars they own? I bet they didn't bring those to the auction because they would have lost money on them.

Paying off your house does not "make money". In fact it costs you money because you forgo the low interest rate that anyone with a brain can beat by INVESTING, as well as forgoing the tax benefit thus reducing your money paid to the government. Paying off your mortgage does not increase your cashflow, it just reduces your OUTFLOW.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:50 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

In light of all the good advice on these pages, the following needs to be said....

One of the best investments I ever made was buying my 911.

After dreaming about owning one for years, I finally stopped reading magazines about them and got off the couch and bought one, albeit a 964. That was over 6 years ago. I now have over 50,000 Porsche miles under my belt and as I look back over my experiences in that time I have the biggest grin on my face. I've been everywhere with the car, from the mountains to the beach. Kids to school and trips to the grocery store, week after week at that. Also many track days too. I haven't even mentioned all the really nice people I've met along the way too.

I paid $22,000 for the car and have avoided going crazy with $$$mods. It's in top shape and can be driven anywhere and anytime without any worries. Given that market is starting to realize how great these cars are I could probably get close to what I bought it for...

They say time is money, well I've spent lots and lots of time in my car and it has definitely paid me back handsomely!
Since we're on a Porsche forum, I'm pretty sure we all have out bases covered financially and don't have to lean on our cars for any kind of security, but I will say it's been one of the best investments I've ever made.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
In light of all the good advice on these pages, the following needs to be said....

One of the best investments I ever made was buying my 911.

After dreaming about owning one for years, I finally stopped reading magazines about them and got off the couch and bought one, albeit a 964. That was over 6 years ago. I now have over 50,000 Porsche miles under my belt and as I look back over my experiences in that time I have the biggest grin on my face. I've been everywhere with the car, from the mountains to the beach. Kids to school and trips to the grocery store, week after week at that. Also many track days too. I haven't even mentioned all the really nice people I've met along the way too.

I paid $22,000 for the car and have avoided going crazy with $$$mods. It's in top shape and can be driven anywhere and anytime without any worries. Given that market is starting to realize how great these cars are I could probably get close to what I bought it for...

They say time is money, well I've spent lots and lots of time in my car and it has definitely paid me back handsomely!
Since we're on a Porsche forum, I'm pretty sure we all have out bases covered financially and don't have to lean on our cars for any kind of security, but I will say it's been one of the best investments I've ever made.
I agree.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 AM
usctrojanGT3
Race Director

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,226 Posts

There are instances where buying a home can pay you indirectly (I'm not talking about buying and renting out a home). My real world example is of when I bought a home for my dad in Vegas (where he lives). He was paying $1,400/mo to rent a 1,500sf home. Two years ago I bought him a very comparable 1,900sf home in the same area but nicer and newer with 20% down and the total costs to own turned out to be a hair over $1,000. People need a place to live so either you will pay rent or you will pay to own a property so if you can acquire a property where the cost to own is less than cost to rent it becomes a no-brainer decision.

Quick Reply: Would 997 GT3 be worth more or less in 10yrs?