Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would 997 GT3 be worth more or less in 10yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping mine for my two boys - so when they are old enough they can learn how to drive a car properly and understand cars have a soul and character. I fear when they are old enough to drive, cars won't have petrol engines, roads will no longer exist and electric flying capsules will fill our skies.....
Old 08-17-2013, 07:25 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

GT3's, which were built in relatively large numbers for the collector market, will likely still be plentiful and thus, lower upside. 3.6RS' somewhat more upside; 3.8RS',
There was approx. 100 more GT3s built than the RS. Is that amount enough to make a difference?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by GRINBOB
They are not investments, so who cares...drive and enjoy!
Yes. Even ****ty investmenst will outperform a GT3 over 10 years. Do not buy a car as am investment unless extremely rare. Even 993s are under MSRP 16 years later. And when you take maint, insurance, reg, etc plus inflation into account, it's a pathetic investment.if you investedv$80k in 1997, what would it be worth today?

Why do you need to ask if its the last GT manual, investment etc. if you love it, buy it and enjoy it.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Yes. Even ****ty investmenst will outperform a GT3 over 10 years. Do not buy a car as am investment unless extremely rare. Even 993s are under MSRP 16 years later. And when you take maint, insurance, reg, etc plus inflation into account, it's a pathetic investment.if you investedv$80k in 1997, what would it be worth today?

Why do you need to ask if its the last GT manual, investment etc. if you love it, buy it and enjoy it.
This.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:03 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
As manual cars get rarer, it's worth to me will keep going up. Don't care what others think it is worth since I am not selling.
This.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
hard to say, because the people are changing faster than the cars imo.
most people love technology and gadgets more and more.
i feel antiquated in today's society even though i am barely middle-aged.
kids today will not be future collectors imo. they are just bombarded with too
much stuff to be able to latch onto something and hold it close to their hearts.
Me too, mate. Working on imparting my appreciation for analog experiences to my teenage son...probably a losing battle, but a noble cause nonetheless.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,623 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Me too, mate. Working on imparting my appreciation for analog experiences to my teenage son...probably a losing battle, but a noble cause nonetheless.
he doesn't do vac tube?
I almost sold max, ten he said all cars need motor in back.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

then there is hope!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
then there is hope!
Aussie. For some reason "Hope" was voted in here. I'm sure even from your side of the plant you can see how that has worked out for us.

I really truly feel that I'll always keep my RS for numerous reasons. I'd like to still have it when it is old and gray. Special car.
Is it an investment? No.
Will it hold its value better than 98% of the cars manufactured in 07'? You bet!
But for me it's an investment in my sanity and happiness. Money can't buy happiness but it can by an RS. And that makes me happy....
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

even if "price" stays the same - for example if your GT3RS is now worth $125k and in 10 years it is still $125k - then you have made a horrible investment decision.
Why?
1) Time value of money. You made no money from the asset in 10 years. In fact, you lost money because you had to pay to maintain the asset. You could have invested in an asset that produced positive cashflow during the 10 years. Examples: savings account, T-bills, bonds, rental property, a business, etc.
2) Inflation. $125k in 10 years will likely be worth $50k to $75k in today's dollars. The $125k in 10 years will buy a lot less of everything - gas, food, housing, plane ticket, clothing, etc.

Buying an asset and thinking it will be worth more in the future is speculation. A fancy way of saying gambling. You are betting that the value of the asset will go up instead of down. Can you see the future?

This is all silly guesswork. Who knows what is going to happen.

FWIW - A car is not as asset. A car is a liability. Assets pay you. Liabilities cost you. When has your car ever paid you anything? Oh, thats right, you pay for maintenance and repairs on your car...

Just drive the **** of it.

... your house is not an asset either, by the way.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE

this is the best advice.
otherwise, when you sell the next buyer will on your dime.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

even if "price" stays the same - for example if your GT3RS is now worth $125k and in 10 years it is still $125k - then you have made a horrible investment decision.
Why?
1) Time value of money. You made no money from the asset in 10 years. In fact, you lost money because you had to pay to maintain the asset. You could have invested in an asset that produced positive cashflow during the 10 years. Examples: savings account, T-bills, bonds, rental property, a business, etc.
2) Inflation. $125k in 10 years will likely be worth $50k to $75k in today's dollars. The $125k in 10 years will buy a lot less of everything - gas, food, housing, plane ticket, clothing, etc.

Buying an asset and thinking it will be worth more in the future is speculation. A fancy way of saying gambling. You are betting that the value of the asset will go up instead of down. Can you see the future?

FWIW - A car is not as asset. A car is a liability. Assets pay you. Liabilities cost you. When has your car ever paid you anything? Oh, thats right, you pay for maintenance and repairs on your car...

this is fact.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I will also contend that the "price" of a Porsche has not gone up since the early 1970's. "Price" has been the same - it is just that the buying power of the US$ has eroded over the years. Since Nixon took us off the gold standard in 1971 the US$ has lost more than 90% of it purchasing power. It will not take it long to lose the rest.

Example - for a teacher to buy a standard 911 in 1971 they would spend a bit more than their whole salary on the car (before taxes) - same is true today.

Last edited by GT3DE; 08-18-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brake dust
There was approx. 100 more GT3s built than the RS. Is that amount enough to make a difference?
Thats a fair paint..+ if an RS 3.8 will be worth 30k more..its maybe also a different buyer..a car of 70-90K is still affordable by a larger audience..

My guess: price will drop to 80-85 in the next 3 years..afterwards go up again to 90..so in the end no big change..but a car still costs money..thats sure..but with a 997 GT3 youre investing your money better than with a new 991 or a new MP4-12..thats for sure..
Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Why?

Hi GT3DE,

Your words are fully correct...I also fully agree to your last sentence. A car always costs money..thats for sure..however, calling a 997 Gt3 a horrible investement decision is wrong I would say - "horrible" compared to what?

I know people who bought new 458..just traded them a few days ago for something else (lost 80k)..- is that a better decision? 991 out of the showroom = -25k - what about that ?

There even others who buy with their own personal money (not company cars) BMW 7 series to sell them after 5 years - and then do this 2x in 10 years...= better?

So, concluding, No, a 997 GT3 is not a horrible investement decision, its rather an "investement in a car, in which you will loose some money, but a 997 Gt3 kind of makes sure that your losses will be very limited over a longer period of time" - I think we can all agree that a second hand 997.2 GT3 will be a better decision than a new 4-12C..

In that sense, lets drive our cars and lets be happy that we are not seeing depreciation rates of others..and "horrible" wouldnt be the appropriate word..

PS: if one wants to make return from every $ earned..then better dont buy a car (not even a polo; public transport is always cheaper)..
PS 2: my posting does of course not apply to 4.0 & GT2RS - this is a "real" investment..and will probably deliver much better results than 90% of the housing for sale ..

Quick Reply: Would 997 GT3 be worth more or less in 10yrs?